Drsms + Gamegear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purity

Still Fresh
Hello Reesy, all..

you wanna ask if you have any small news concerning the GameGear compatibility of the upcoming version of DrSMS? Or perhaps a rough timespan in which we can hope for an early test version?

Thanks and good job!
Purity

Well my gp2x is here now, so I very doubt there will be another release of DrSMS for some time if at all. I may at some point port it to the gp2x, when I do this I'll add GG support and then release a GP32 version as well. This won't be for months though, I don't see DrSMS as very important because there are already alot of very good SMS/GG emulators for the GP32. This is why I find it very hard to be motivated with regards DrSMS development.

Reesy posted on Oct 30 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
Well my gp2x is here now, so I very doubt there will be another release of DrSMS for some time if at all. I may at some point port it to the gp2x, when I do this I'll add GG support and then release a GP32 version as well. This won't be for months though, I don't see DrSMS as very important because there are already alot of very good SMS/GG emulators for the GP32. This is why I find it very hard to be motivated with regards DrSMS development.

First I just wanted to tell you that "you da man" Reesy. Secondly, while there are alot of good emus out there for the SMS/GG, yours are always the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just want to add "thanks" for all of your great stuff, a lot of times we get so caught up in asking for things (I'm not pointing any fingers here, I mean "in general") that we forget to thank you for all of your wonderful creations. Once again, "you da man," H.G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy posted on Oct 30 2005 at 01:38 PM said:
Better battery life?

thats sad to hear because your emulators are also more stable and easier to use than others. They have a straight menu design which also offers everything you need. All in all we have to accept this and i also wann thank you very much for the work you've done (although i thought it would only be a smaller step from a very good working sms emulator already capable of loading gg games to a nice working implentation of the game gear) thanks again and hope to see you software on the gp2x soon :D

Darn. wanted to play puyo puyo 2 @ 33mhz
Oh well, the gp32 had is time... now it's time to use what we've already have. :)

Goity posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:27 PM said:
Masterlator?

Masterlator is slow in some games, the sound sucks, some stuff won't run.

fSMS is slow too alot of times, stuff won't run, has other problems.

DrSMS was better than all of those. Too bad GG won't be added, it was so close games actually run the palette is just messed up. If it was I could get rid of all of those other SMS emus.

DaveC posted on Oct 30 2005 at 05:42 PM said:
Goity posted on Oct 30 2005 at 03:27 PM said:
Masterlator?

Masterlator is slow in some games, the sound sucks, some stuff won't run.

fSMS is slow too alot of times, stuff won't run, has other problems.

DrSMS was better than all of those. Too bad GG won't be added, it was so close games actually run the palette is just messed up. If it was I could get rid of all of those other SMS emus.

exactly what i meant ... the other emulators all work in any kind ... but DrSMS was just very promising. I also thought it would only be a palette problem all in all

Geez, first opensnes9x and now drsms. If I could code I wouldnt be giving up on these things until they were as good as they could be.

danr posted on Oct 31 2005 at 12:09 AM said:
Geez, first opensnes9x and now drsms. If I could code I wouldnt be giving up on these things until they were as good as they could be.
Reesy gives us the best snes emulator we have, the best genesis/md emulator we have, and the best sms emulator we have. Its sad to see someone who just joined complaining about all the hard work he's put into this. Its easy to say things like "if I could code....", its a hell of a lot harder to actually code these emulators, so until you code a genesis/MD emulator from scratch that runs PERFECT* on the gp32, just shut up. And, while you're at it, learn to code and then you can add all the things you want.

*Note for DaveC: "just about perfect" :p

Actually i used to come on these boards all the time early this year and i got sick of it because so many people were acting like assholes. I quit and just showed up to check updates since then but i saw people bitching at mrdark and a bunch of other noobs so i decided to speak my mind. It's a free country, i don't have to always be positive on these boards and when i left, no one else seemed to be anyway.

Fact is, yoyo started opensnes9x, reesy added to it. Sure it's good, but it's not even finished. When last I looked, it was supposedly still a work in progress right there on the download page. I just think it's lame that now that he's got the better system he's giving up on the stuff he didn't finish.

I really try to respect people when they're fair, but i don't care if people flame me or not. the fact is reesy's obviously a good programmer, but there's lots of others and they don't get thanked every ten seconds as if they were the second coming. I'm not trying to start shit i just think it's lame that he gets constant praise as if he's the only person to ever do anything quality for this system yet this is the second emulator that he just quit on because he got interested in something else. Sure that's his right, but as much as people worship him you'd think he or someone else would at least finish the projects.

I never said it isnt good, I just said it's not finished, which it isn't. That's what work in progress means. Everyone was up in arms cuz someone dared to ask that this project not die, and everyone jumped all over him. Why? Because it broke a code that we can only keep wanting sega emulators and never mention super nes ones? As far as I could tell this topic was about wanting continued support for drsms and gamegear.

That's sad because if I started a topic politely asking if opensnes would be continued, everyone would whine and say i shouldn't mention opensnes (like they did to that other guy). So i guess its okay to keep talking about more support for emulators that were fine to begin with, but the one that needs obvious work, opensnes, oh no we can't ever mention that sacred subject.

And why should i have to learn to program just to be able to point this out? so everyone here knows how to program but me? Or is it just that only those who can program are allowed to mention opensnes?

if everyone here just "took what we could get" and never asked for more, we wouldn't even be using any of these emulators to begin with. Forgive me for pointing out that opensnes was abandoned, I don't think i need to be able to program just to have the right to suggest that it shouldn't just be dumped like that. Sorry that i'm not gonna put a dumb sad smiley face in my post and then say "thanks anyway Reesy". I just think it's lame that the people who do know how to program this stuff are satisfied when it's just "better than it was" even though it still isn't finished. i feel sorry for people who get this system hearing about how cool it is that it plays sns games and then when they don't understand why half the games are slow, they go to these boards to ask for someone to, not even make it perfect, just FINISH it to where it's as good as the other emulators that no one thanks anyone for. But if they do this they get bitched at which i think is pretty sad.

I know i'm stepping on feet here but i don't mind being blunt. Let's face it, reesy has legions of groupies thanking him with every post and putting it in their sigs. would it be that hard then for the guy to finish what he starts instead of saying "I've moved on cuz i lost interest"? Or is it just that since he programmed a good emu and prettied up another one that we're all automatically forced into obsequious complacency?

Judging by how everyone wants to make love to drmd and hates anyone who dares bring up opensnes (yeah, the unfinished emu), i guess i know the answer.

Well that is life in the big city. If you look you will see that all of the emus on the GP32 from anyone are unfinished. They aren't technically finished until they run every game at full speed 0 frameskip with full sound. While we have the right to be dissapointed, we don't have the right to bitch about it. Sure I would like all of the emus to be finished up, but it doesn't work that way. Those are the breaks when getting free stuff that coders hack out on their own free time. Remember coding is *WORK*. If they move on because they lost interest it is their right isn't it? It is not like you are paying him for doing it like he is working for you at a job and you are his boss ;)

You kow dnar, it's comments like your that make devs say 'what's the point' and give up work on their projects completely.

You think it's lame that Reesys not continuing work on OpenSnes. Do you even know that OpenSnes was not made by Reesy to begin with? OpenSnes was made originally by Yoyo, and IIRC he's now on devving for PSP. So if you want to complain to someone, whay not go to the PSP boards and annoy Yoyo? I'm sure they'll tell you in no uncertain terms to fuck off the moment you do.

Reesy took up the project with one thing in mind: improving the sound core. He's done that. So he's finished with what he wanted to do with the emu. And instead of saying 'oh how lame he's not doing anything more with it' instead we're all saying 'great work mate' and getting on with playing with it. I agree this sudden thing of it being akin to a taboo topic does strike me as a little strange but I think it could be handled with comments like 'Reesy's done what he wanted to do with it, but the project is still Open source for anyone else who might want to take it up', or something along those lines. But anyway....

Reesy's main project is DrMD. It has been all along, hence why it's had so many private/public releases. He's now got a GP2X and will start porting DrMD to it as soon as he can. And I'd sayu this is what people would be expecting from him the most once they get their hands on a GP2X all their own.

Some people do go a bit overboard about Reesy, I agree. But that's not to say all the other devs are simply ignored. Rlyeh, Franxis/The Grim Reaper, Squidge, Skeezix, Quiest, Tuskenraider2k, and many other's that I've missed naming all get their fair share of praise around here. Tuskenraider for example has just about been praise to the hilt and back for his new release of his Lynx emu and Franxis is always being praised for his constant mame updates.

I too am bummed about the fact that Reesy won't update DrSMS for at least a few months, since it seems to be the only GP32 SMS/GG emu that will actually run some of the GG games I want to play properly (I tried), but I'm sure as hell not gonna come on here and say things lke 'oh Reesy's so lame for not finishing it off NOW!!!1!!11' (not that I ever would), instead I'll just wait patiently and go off to play some of the emus/games that ALL of the great devs have released for us to use. And then when it IS released, we'll all be thanking Reesy (yet again) for that.

Remember, no-one around here makes these things for money. But when they see people writing things like 'Great work, keep it up', that make them feel good about what they've done and gives them the motivation to update their work or start more projects. And if they get donations (and yes I've donated to Reesy, as my sig states, I won't deny it) then that's even better (but remember, they don't specifically ask for it). But if they start seeing things like 'oh that's lame (devver x) hasn't updated or won't update (project y)' then they may see no point to continue working. I've heard (and actually seen in one case) of devvers giving up simply because of one bad comment, which if it hadn't been made would have meant the devver would have continued work on their project. Even sometime's posts (like the original one in this very thread) asking when a new version is going to be out can be enough to kill some devvers motivation (and again, it's happened). It doesn't matter if you also state that their work is good somewhereelse, if you make bad comments anywhere (as you have here) it's still not good.

Constructive criticism is one thing (things like commenting on bugs and what you think could be improved, for instance) but outright complaining should not be tolerated by anyone.

edit: some spelling errors

man when did gp32x boards turn into As the World Turns??

so many long posts these days about this guy's feelings and that coder's ego...

bah.. if the emu gets done, then it's cool.. if not, then that sucks but oh well. nothing new in this scene eh...

(excepting maybe DrMD and little john, heh heh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back