Drpocketsnes 6.5.0 Caanoo

Hi to everyone,

I've already fixed some of the mentioned bugs (Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Noise in main menu), all these were common to both versions (Caanoo and Wiz). Some others remain (Mode 7 {R3}: Super Mario Kart, fast binary (asm CPU core) very buggy), they all are related to Caanoo version, maybe some issue with the toolchain, with new ABI, not sure (those pieces of code are working flawlessly in Wiz, any advice is welcome).

On the other hand, source code will be published when release 7.2.0 will be released. Not proud of having nasty bugs. If someone wants the source code, just ask me for it I will send it (keep in mind it's a moving target).

Regards.

bitrider said:
Hi to everyone,

I've already fixed some of the mentioned bugs (Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Noise in main menu), all these were common to both versions (Caanoo and Wiz). Some others remain (Mode 7 {R3}: Super Mario Kart, fast binary (asm CPU core) very buggy), they all are related to Caanoo version, maybe some issue with the toolchain, with new ABI, not sure (those pieces of code are working flawlessly in Wiz, any advice is welcome).

Thanks for your work! :)
Can you post a link to download this latest revision?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news and thanks a lot for your work bitrider !

Do you have an idea why DrPocketSNES does not run on certain Caanoos ?

Could it be a problem with reading the SD card ?

It freezes on mine after a second (others have exactly the same issue). Tried with different SD cards and firmware versions. Everything else runs fine.

I tried to change the SD Card (from a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC to a Peak 2 GB SD), but it freezes just the same! :(

Gab1975 said:
I tried to change the SD Card (from a Sandisk 16 GB SDHC to a Peak 2 GB SD), but it freezes just the same! :(

Can you upload the game folder along with the pocketsnes folder (except any roms of course) to a filehoster, I would like to see, if this specific installation makes problems on my Caanoo.

I read somewhere that all Caanoos which came with stock firmware 1.0.7 have problems running pocketsnes. Maybe yours is one of those?

@ CKeichel: you can download my pocketsnes 7.1.9B "installation" here: http://ul.to/y6xjhq

@ hi-ban: I bought my Caanoo in september and the stock firmware was 1.0.1...

Gab1975 said:
@ CKeichel: you can download my pocketsnes 7.1.9B "installation" here: http://ul.to/y6xjhq

@ hi-ban: I bought my Caanoo in september and the stock firmware was 1.0.1...

We can definitely say for sure, that it's not your installation, it runs fine on my Caanoo, to rule out if it's something with your card, you can try to run it from an USB stick or USB hard disk.

I tried to start the PocketSNES 7.1.9B from an USB stick, but it doesn't work... the same problem that my Caanoo has with the SD card... the emulator freezes in the main menu with an annoying "background" noise... :(

PocketSNES 7.1.9B is running fine on my Caanoo, should be one of the earliest, if not the earliest shipments.
I'm booting it through Gmenu2x by the way, doubt that changes anything. I'm only on firmware 1.5.

Still, is the binary being compiled properly? It seems to have many weird kinks like face-buttons are not disabled when the Caanoo is locked, or the menu producing background noise only from the back-speakers, not from headphones.
And occasionally the sound output gets loud, really loud.

@Yoshi Dragon and Gab 1975

I am completely out of ideas, my Caanoo is from the first shipment and runs PocketSNES on FW 1.0.6 and 1.6.0, the other I don't have tried. It doesn't sound like an hardware fault, and this seems unlikely, but I don't have any ideas. Did you tried to restore the default settings of the firmware, I know, this most probably won't help, but it's worth a try.

It works for me on 1.6. Did you do a clean install? ie create a new folder on your SD card or have you copied the new pocketsnes program into an existing pocketsnes folder?

Well, I never "update" any installations. I always rename the old directories first (just in case I have to go back) and create a new one.

What me really bothers, I have...

Animatch, Cave Story (Ginge), CPS2, DrSMS, Gianas Return, GnGeo, GPFCE, GPSP, HU-GO, MAME4All, MSX, NeoGeoCD, NES, OhBoy, PCSX4All, Picodrive, PrBoom, ScummVM, SNES9x4C, Temper (Ginge), Patissier and Wolfenstein

...running on my Caanoo.

No problems at all, only DrPocketSNES does not work. It works with Ginge, but too slow IMHO.

Really weird, must be a tiny or really stupid thing. :blink: I already considered to order a second one, just to see whether it works. :lol:

And I think I'm quite experienced with handhelds and computers in general.

The problems might be due to the severe underclocking in the menu, either 66MHz or 120MHz, whichever it was set to when that 7.1.9b binary was made. Maybe the current(?) 300MHz menu clock will fix this freezing/crashing problem like it did for the menu noise.

Anyone with freezing problems care to try making a config file set to auto-launch a rom bypassing the menu to test this theory?

Again, I think PocketSNES has been compiled poorly, like it needs to be compiled with a proper toolchain or something.
It has weird audio bugs, it doesn't disable buttons when the system is locked, etc.

CKeichel said:
@Yoshi Dragon and Gab 1975

I am completely out of ideas, my Caanoo is from the first shipment and runs PocketSNES on FW 1.0.6 and 1.6.0, the other I don't have tried. It doesn't sound like an hardware fault, and this seems unlikely, but I don't have any ideas. Did you tried to restore the default settings of the firmware, I know, this most probably won't help, but it's worth a try.

Yes... I don't think that my Caanoo hardware is defective, I installed many applications without any problem...
I restored the default settings, but nothing it's changed...

i also got my caanoo at the very first week it was available and dr pocket snes is the only thing i can't get to work. it seems as if their is some hardware differences in caanoos. but why does everything work but dr pocket snes?

Be sure PocketSNES issues are not about using a proper toolchain, I'm using the official one. I've also tried with toolchains based on gcc 4.1.2, 4.2.4, 4.3.3, 4.4.4 and 4.4.5 (compiled with crosstools-ng) all them show the same problems.

As I said sound noise in menu is already fixed, now menu speed is 300MHz (instead 120MHz). Sound problems are about sound being tied closely to CPU speed, it's hardware desing. Locking buttons not working is simply because it's not implemented.

New betas will not be public, if you have a on startup freezing Caanoo, think about being a beta-tester. Send me your email address.

Super Mario Kart issues and fast binary version still have problems, they seem to be related to EABI vs ABI.

Back