Drpocketsnes 6.5.0 Caanoo

1.0.7 came pre-loaded on the batch of Caanoos right before they started including the 4gb SD cards. It seemed like it was basically a beta 1.5, I downgraded mine to 1.0.6 to get a few more FPS out of every emulator.

Ok, I upgraded the firmware to 1.5, and drpcoketsnes doesn't work. As before, it freezes in the menu, but now it also makes an annoying buzzing. I think this problem occurs to all Caanoos with 1.0.7 firmware.

So, let's wait for a new version :(

superUNICORN said:
Ok, I upgraded the firmware to 1.5, and drpcoketsnes doesn't work. As before, it freezes in the menu, but now it also makes an annoying buzzing. I think this problem occurs to all Caanoos with 1.0.7 firmware.

mine came with 1.01 or whatever I upgraded to 1.06 then later upgraded to 1.50 then downgraded to 1.06 due to poor performance. I experience the same freezes in the menu of this program as well. I don't think it's a 1.07 issue as much as whatever the firmware touched in the 1.50 update doesn't seem to be reverted when you downgrade back to 1.06. People who have not done the 1.50 at all don't seem to be effected by the freezing it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using 1.5.0 and PocketSNES works mostly fine. Although it's ironic that the menu image for PocketSNES shows the cast from Chrono Trigger, when actually PocketSNES kind of sucks at emulating that game (it's better in the new version of Snes9x4C).

I have DrPocketSnes on 1.5 and it work fine for some games, i have downgrade to 1.0.6 and it work again, with a few more Fps in games.

Someone work on porting Drpocketsnes 7.0 ?

superUNICORN said:

thats odd, the firmware on my caanoo is 1.0.7 and it works fine

superUNICORN said:
Then I am one of the damned :(

same pb here, firmware 1.5. I've tried 3 different SD cards ... ;(

I have firmware 1.50. Pocketsnes 6.50 works fine but it does freeze sometimes during gameplay, so I reduce the overclock from 700 to 650. I'm using 16GB Trancend Class 6 SD card.

I just wanna say that I'm playing Earthbound for the first time ever on my Caanoo.
And I am in love with everyone involved with this emulator.

I might do that; playing FF4 on my Caanoo has reminded me how fucking boring JRPG battles are without a fast-forward function. Ah, nostalgia...

I do however still need a walkthrough from gamefaqs.com so I don't miss anything. Hate to restart all over again.

You know, a couple years ago, I would have agreed with you!
Then I met someone named Chrono ... and he taught me that a JRPG doesn't have to be a boring grind fest if properly designed.
I then went on a Dragon Quest and realized that even the mildly grindy battles can be fun with spark, creativity and interesting challenges.

However, Final Fantasy's gameplay, in total, is recorded in the dictionary for the antonym of fun.

Earthbound is a synonym for love.

Chrono Trigger is a great game and the boss battles are really good but the regular battles are like watching paint dry. Everything happens soooo sloooowly and you rarely have enough MP to do the cool area-effect stuff, so it's usually just A, A, A like Final Fantasy.

Just a quick question but are we seeing an update to this or any SNES emu? I noticed the PSX4All post and wondered why it's so hard for a Emu for SNES? (Honestly, I'm an art guy. I have some programming knowledge but nothing that can even grasp why SNES is so much harder then say, Megadrive)

Thanks for all the work - I am just wondering if I should look forward to better SNES emu and 'tuff 'tis all.

One thing I know about, regarding why Megadrive emulation is awesome ... is the original Megadrive chipset had a lot of things in common with the chipset inside the Caanoo. There was also some awesome work that went into that emulator a while back, specifically for ARM chips? (dont quote me) Plz correct me if Im wrong.

You have to consider the architecture of the console you want to emulate, and not graphics alone.
For example, the Caanoo can start to emulate PSX well, but I can promise you it will never see a Saturn emulator (despite Saturn graphics being arguably worse). A Saturn needs a dual core CPU at least on an X86 system to get good performance. The original hardware is just that wierd.

There's actually a DrPocketSnes 7.0 on the Wiz, but it hasn't been ported to Caanoo yet.
Still usable through GINGE but I'd rather have a straight port.

Oh by the way, has anyone noticed that the lock-switch fails in DrPocketSnes? The directionals are ignored but face buttons still input.

traylorpark said:
One thing I know about, regarding why Megadrive emulation is awesome ... is the original Megadrive chipset had a lot of things in common with the chipset inside the Caanoo. There was also some awesome work that went into that emulator a while back, specifically for ARM chips? (dont quote me) Plz correct me if Im wrong.

You have to consider the architecture of the console you want to emulate, and not graphics alone.
For example, the Caanoo can start to emulate PSX well, but I can promise you it will never see a Saturn emulator (despite Saturn graphics being arguably worse). A Saturn needs a dual core CPU at least on an X86 system to get good performance. The original hardware is just that wierd.

The hardware architecture of SEGA Megadrive/Genesis is rather "simple" (based on two CPUs, MC68000 for the main system and Z80A for the audio sub-system) while SNES architecture is more complex (the graphic chip supports many 2D effects, like mode 7, the trasparency layer and sprites rotation/scaling)... moreover Picodrive emu is made very well (Notaz is one of the best homebrew developers to the open-source scena).

In any case I hope that a dedicated version of PocketSNES 7.1.x will be avaible soon on Caanoo! ;)

Not always the more powerful hardware is the most complex and/or difficult to emulate... an example is the SNK Neo Geo vs the SuperNES...

Back