Dropbox clone in Python

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
https://github.com/Max00355/MatchBox

Still very early project, does not work on Folders yet, but basically it replicates the synchro feature between a file on a local client and a server client. You can do that using your own server, without using Dropbox servers - so very little risk of seeing your data confiscated or removed and so on. 

I have not tried this yet but it sounds promising. 

I run www.owncloud.org at my servers. It's quit ok, i use it as online PIM and to exchange small files/documents I'm working on. Maybe we can port the client (there is an CLI version) to pandora as well?

Its not hard to fake something simple; heck, just use rsync, an old standard sync tool .. its usually used to sync one filesystem to another, such as making backups from one directory to another, or from one machine to another. If you've got some file space somewhere, you coudl just set up an rsync on a hourly cronjob, say, or every few minutes and poof.. works. Take you about 5 minutes to set up :)

The trick with dropbox presumably is that its cheap/free, you don't need a server (they provide one), and web configuration .. and they're aiming for ubiquity.. getting their service into every device everywhere.

But if you're doing it yourself, but just your use.. you don't need the web configuration or the rest.. just the sync part. And the sync part, thats easy.

jeff

Hi there, did anyone port the owncloud client to the Pandora yet?

Any chance to make Dropbox work with the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, Owncloud is good, don't know if it's been released but there was a RSS aggregator module in the making. The basic version features a calendar, versioning of files, … quite a nice toy :D

Having a native client on pandora would be great, but it must have all the basic features available offline.

I use DropBox on my PC currently.

My accountant turned me on to it...she saves my quickbooks docs there as backup.

I guess you could store just about anything you want there.

But I would like the idea of an owncloud or something...where we'd never have to worry about our files confiscated or removed.

I still need to drop all my stuff on my laptop I'm not currently using on the laptop itself, to a memory stick.

Not sure that a memory stick isn't just plain a better idea than Dropbox, really.

Except that with Dropbox, you don't have to carry around a stick, you could get the files from any computer that had dropbox installed on it.

File security would have to be important...no file removal/confiscation.

Or just buy your own web hosting if you've not a PC you can leave on and connected 24/7.

I use one of my website hosting packages as pretty much just a dumping ground for files, which I can then access with FTP.

Things don't get deleted unless I delete them

I use dropbox for sharing/backup of photos I take with my phone.  The dropbox app automagically uploads any pictures I take, and then family can see them via a link I provided.

Being able to access/organize those on the Panda would be nice.

Christopher.

Or just buy your own web hosting if you've not a PC you can leave on and connected 24/7.

I use one of my website hosting packages as pretty much just a dumping ground for files, which I can then access with FTP.

Things don't get deleted unless I delete them
If you have your own webhosting, you could go the owncloud way easily.

Just copy the php files on your host, setup a database, and get going installing owncloud (it's easy and fast).

But it would be better if you can setup a SSL certificate, to have a bit of security for your privacy ;)

I forgot to mention that Owncloud isn't mono user, and you can share easily files, and even make slideshows out of photos

There are already ownclouds file sync clients for PC (linux/mac/windows). The android/ios client seems to still be a bit rough and isn't free (about 1$…) but hopefully it'll get better with time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I set up my own online storage with Ubuntu Server and openssh.  It works well but it doesn't have an special app to connect with.  I usually use Filezilla to manages files.  I would bet there is a way to sync files with rsync on the Pandora.  I have a guide to setup a server if anyone wants it.

I would bet there is a way to sync files with rsync on the Pandora.
Try sshfs (for accessing files) and rsync in a cronjob. Just need to figure out which files are newer and which older.

Bittorent creator just released a new way of syncing files between a client and remote server.
Bittorrent Sync sounds rather awesome, and already an ARM Linux version.  I have no idea how to use it yet, but if keeping chat log directories in sync between computers is as simple as having a torrent client running then I'm happy.

Back