Drod For Gp2x

hal9000

Website
Visit site
DROD (Deadly Rooms of Death) is a Dungeon crawling / Puzzle game developed by Caravel Games ( http://www.caravelgames.com )

Its principle is simple: you inspect dungeons, you fight monsters with your sword, in turn-by-turn combats.
But the silly architecture of these dungeons makes these fights extremely challenging and versatile.

DROD is considered by many of its fans (including me) as the best puzzle ever. One of its sequels, DROD - Journey to the Rotted Hold, won the Player's Choice Award of www.gametunnel.com in 2005.

I have ported to GP2X DROD - Architect Edition, which is an ancestor of the versions available on the Caravel Games website. As the GP2X screen is a bit small for this game, I have implemented a zoom, allowing the user to display the whole DROD screen or to zoom on any part of it.

DROD - Architect Edition is completely free. More recent versions (that I encourage you to try on your Linux/Mac/Windows box) have a free engine and commercial data.

DROD for GP2X is available here:
http://julien.carme.free.fr/drod-gp2x-0_9.zip

Please consult the README file for controls and important notes.

Bloody_Spatter.jpg

Nice release, I never heard of the game until now but I have been playing Etrian Odyssey on the DS non stop the past week and this is kinda similar. It is also a style of game I have been thinking about coding after my current project.

Wow, that's a pleasant suprise. Didn't see this one coming :)
Love this game! Thanks for porting, it plays really great on the gp2x.

Not really important for this game, but sound would be nice.

Ravnos said:
Can you use the data from the commercial version with this? I'm guessing "No" but it's not totally clear.
No.

The commercial data uses a more recent version of the engine, which is also open-source, but has higher memory requirement.
I have a working prototype at home, but it uses swap on SD-Card, which is a Bad Thing. It take 2 minutes to start, too.

It could be than one day I try to optimize it and to cleverly use GP2X upper memory (both will be necessary), but it is unlikely to happen soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's a pleasant suprise. Didn't see this one coming :)
Love this game! Thanks for porting, it plays really great on the gp2x.

Not really important for this game, but sound would be nice.
For the sound, DROD-Architect Edition uses FMod, a free (as in free beer) but not open-source library. There is therefore no way to compile it for ARM. However, recent versions of DROD are using SDL for sound, so I could try to port sound modules of recent versions to the old source. Maybe in a next release.

B._.o._.b: I had to remove your name from the "quote" tag, because it makes a bug with the forum parser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back