Drmdx V5b7a Released

i found some bug, if i launch DrMDx and play a game and next i launch Picodrive the same game would be realy bad (less FPS and bad sound). If i launch PicoDrive and next DrMd ther's no sound in DrMdx. I tried with Soleil game

It seem that SRAM save don't work with this last version of DrMdx

DaveC posted on Oct 27 2006 at 03:37 AM said:
I don't really see much of a reason to upgrade anyway. The old FW works fine without the animated menus. Gmenu2X is better anyway.

Neither me. I'm not going to take the chance of bricking my machine for the sake of a few menu tweaks and some internals that are no use to me. When they release a significant upgrade then i'll consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
winapa posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 27 2006 at 03:37 AM said:
I don't really see much of a reason to upgrade anyway. The old FW works fine without the animated menus. Gmenu2X is better anyway.

Neither me. I'm not going to take the chance of bricking my machine for the sake of a few menu tweaks and some internals that are no use to me. When they release a significant upgrade then i'll consider.
Firmware upgrading is pretty failsafe now, and better sd access really is a good reason to upgrade.

doc5avage posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:26 PM said:
so is sd dma still broke?
definitly yes :rolleyes: this firmeware just boost of 0.70MB/s no so mutch ^^

I've read a bit about sd dma, but was it ever working with gp2x?

Btw, what speed improvements would there be and is it possible for it to be implemented?

stormyandcold posted on Oct 27 2006 at 12:00 PM said:
I've read a bit about sd dma, but was it ever working with gp2x?

Btw, what speed improvements would there be and is it possible for it to be implemented?
It seems to be broken because MagicEyes is a bunch of idiots. It's probably not a software issue. And no, it really can't be implemented.

If it worked, you could access the SD card while the CPU is working, right now, if you read or write from/to the SD card, the CPU stalls and drops to about the speed you'd see if it were running at 2 MHz. This means long load times to get EVERYTHING into RAM before you use it and RAM limits that shouldn't be encountered. At 0.5 or 0.7 MB/sec it should be trivial to stream audio or graphics data from the SD card at runtime, enhancing games' graphical capabilities and saving more RAM for other uses-- but as it stands if you try to do this, the framerate will be unplayable because the CPU has to handle ALL the SD data transfer. It's pretty appalling, considering that the NeoGeo and MegaDrive had working DMA and they're over 15 years old-- if the NeoGeo's DMA functionality didn't work the games would be NOTHING like you see. They had obscene amounts of graphics data on the cartridge that NEVER loaded to RAM-- if the CPU had to be involved the games would become slideshows. That's why Gngeo2x lags so much when it reads any data out of the SD card, like when it's first starting to run. The only reason it doesn't become ultimately lagtastic is because it puts the whole ROMset into RAM at runtime, and the only reason this new FW speeds it up is becuase it gets the SD read operations over faster, freeing the CPU up quicker.

Epicenter posted on Oct 28 2006 at 06:34 AM said:
It's pretty appalling, considering that the NeoGeo and MegaDrive had working DMA and they're over 15 years old-- if the NeoGeo's DMA functionality didn't work the games would be NOTHING like you see. They had obscene amounts of graphics data on the cartridge that NEVER loaded to RAM-- if the CPU had to be involved the games would become slideshows. That's why Gngeo2x lags so much when it reads any data out of the SD card, like when it's first starting to run. The only reason it doesn't become ultimately lagtastic is because it puts the whole ROMset into RAM at runtime, and the only reason this new FW speeds it up is becuase it gets the SD read operations over faster, freeing the CPU up quicker.
Afaik, the neogeo don't have any sort of dma. And you should try the last firmware, gngeo2x don't lag so much with it ;)

Back