Drawing tablets [Wacom]

Fzero

Advanced Member
Anyone using these things ... I know we've a couple highly skilled anime/graphic artists here, I suspect they use these things - Though most likely use higher end ones than I am looking into.

Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/24382030/Wacom-Bamboo-Pen-Graphics-Tablet/Product.html?searchstring=wacom&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Wacom Bamboo "FUN" Pen & Touch

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/24382028/Wacom-Bamboo-Fun-Pen-Touch-Graphics-Tablet-Small/Product.html?searchstring=wacom&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Those are a couple I am looking at.

The "FUN" one is a little bit more expensive, though I cannot really see what that one offers which the other doesn't

Anyone shed some light onto the differences?

I would use them for the gestures, mouse control ... but mostly I am looking for one that is good for 'drawing' with, be it logos or simply sketching stuff.

cheers

I use Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet. It's great if you are just starting off and want to get a tablet. But it doesn't have the fancy extra stuff like finger touch or buttons on the tablet it self like other models have. But I would recommend that one personaly if you just want a ok tablet. The other one I have used in my school during animation class. It's better yes. But if you are not extremly into drawing then I would go with the cheeper one. But if you care to spend the extra cash to get some buttons on the tablet and finger touch. Then go for the Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch Graphics Tablet / Small.

I didn't realise only the Fun model offers the multitouch gestures. Thought that was included on both.

In that case, my mind is made up, I'd be looking to get the one with the multitouch.

I was looking at one of those Apple TrackPad things, as an alternative to a mouse, allowing gestures for zooming pics/maps and scrolling through websites.

Now, I think I'd be better off forgetting the TrackPad and getting this Bamboo Fun tablet, which will let me do that as well as offer a decent solution for sketching with.

...I think the TrackPad from Apple probably offers more gesture support, like showing the mission control [think that's what it's called] with a swipe, but the main ones I think will work with the Bamboo.

Thanks for info

edit:

Ok, just thought of this, wondered if this was possible... and seems that it is....

Using a stylus/pen with the TrackPad

https://www.youtube.com/embed/La-qF_-aQz4?feature=oembed

Have you tried this, would this be a better/cheaper option than the Bamboo Fun?

It would obviously offer all the gesture side of things, plus you could draw with it.

Also is wireless already, where the Bamboo would require another £30 dongle to make it wireless.

I have got an old version of the Bamboo Fun (largest available size, A5 I think), without the touch functionality.

I like it a lot, it feels very responsive, got a good resolution, the pen has a good weight and rests well in my hand. Buttons on the tablet and pen are also nice, though the ones on the pen could be positioned slightly more to the top to make them more reachable (this might be fixed in a new version).

As I mentioned, it does not allow for finger input, so I cannot comment on that, it also does not read the pen angle (though that is more of a advanced feature).

The configuration utility and driver are solid and allow for a good amount of customisation and set-up (mapped surface, mapped buttons - you can map almost any button combination to the pen and tablet buttons).

Bottom line, I recommend the Bamboo Fun.

EDIT: Also the USB cable is detachable, which is a minor, yet very useful feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent, I'm getting the Fun one, looking forward to trying it out. I've wanted one of these pen tablets for years but never got one or even used one with an actual application.

sure I will find it much nicer than drawing with a mouse

thanks for your thoughts

I use wacom bamboo I got it for 89 €

Last edited by a moderator:
I use wacom tablet for quite some time now.

What I would recommend is that size does not matter, go for the smallest cheap one without finger tracking, as that is useless.

If you get used to the pen idea, your next step should be a small cintiq or a small intos within some 2-5 years, but their tablets usually lasts a lot more.

I use to have an old graphire 2 and honestly didn't use it much due to the hand / eye disconnect. Superior to a mouse that's for certain, and acceptable for colouring work. I never understood how artists could actually sketch with such a tablet.

Years later I bought a Cintiq 12wx, and have never looked back. In fact, I haven't drawn anything on ordinary paper since I got it. :)

A great entry level program to use with a pressure sensitive tablet and won't break the bank is PaintTool Sai. Well worth checking out.

Also, if you pick yourself up a copy of ImagineFX, it also comes with great demo software - notably ArtRage Pro and Painter 12.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

cheers dmarschal, I already ordered it though from local high street shop, few quid cheaper than Play and Apple sites had it marked up for, thanks for offer though.

I went for the smaller sized ones, so good to hear that'll probably be good enough, I did get the finger tracking though, not too clever is it? I was hoping would work nice for scrolling down webpages and pinch/zoom on google maps. Make the mouse more redundant, oh well if not too clever at least the pen will be good for drawing.

PaintTool Sai, I actually came across this just a few days ago, think I had seen it once upon a time before, ages ago when looking at these drawing tabs, but just other day I saw this sweet drawing and it was using PaintTool Sai, that's what sparked my interest in getting the tablet again, I bookmarked the page to remind me to d/l it when I get my PC.

does look very good, look forward to trying it out.

this was the vid I see btw. ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYJ4WA41Ew

Back