DraStic Nintendo DS emulator teaser video

Seems like his version is still VERY slow on iOS so you may have some advantage over his emulator for a while :)
True, as of December 20 at least (which was quite a while ago now!).. but this author is not to be underestimated. He has a lot of experience with emulators, having written AdriPSX many years ago. And his first x86 release of DuoS back in August already had a recompiler which was probably better than my (x86 recompiler) was then. My ARM recompiler is gradually getting decent, though. It's at least better than gpSP's, at any rate.

Seems like his version is still VERY slow on iOS so you may have some advantage over his emulator for a while :)
True, as of December 20 at least (which was quite a while ago now!).. but this author is not to be underestimated. He has a lot of experience with emulators, having written AdriPSX many years ago. And his first x86 release of DuoS back in August already had a recompiler which was probably better than my (x86 recompiler) was then. My ARM recompiler is gradually getting decent, though. It's at least better than gpSP's, at any rate.
Talking about gpsp, could your recompiler be combined with a new version of gpsp (provided you agree with it), if it can result in performance increase for GBA emulation as well ? Of course GBA emulation is already solid but there's always benefit to get more performance (and apply filters for example). 

It's currently not a good fit for GBA emulation. Needs to be tuned differently. For instance, the self modifying code strategy should be totally different, because some GBA games aggressively modify IWRAM (while ROM code is of course completely safe from it). That has an impact on some compilation decisions.

Maybe after I'm further along with this one I'll assess it.

Wow,this Speed with Mario...

...i am glad that you Release soon such a fine Piece of Software.

I want to play more Anime RPGs ;)

Good work :D

Saw the new video and have to say: woooooow. Sehr schön. Finally i can play my few NDS-games on the pandora. :D

Thank you Exophase

As New Super Mario Bros. is 3D I have one question:

Those games which are 2D but use 3D (you know what I mean), are they running as nice as New Super Mario Bros.

To make it short: Is there any hope for Castlevania and co. :)

This new Mario video is indeed very awesome O.O

keep up the good work ! =D

Last edited by a moderator:
As New Super Mario Bros. is 3D I have one question:

Those games which are 2D but use 3D (you know what I mean), are they running as nice as New Super Mario Bros.

To make it short: Is there any hope for Castlevania and co. :)
Castlevania games are running much slower because they use 3D for everything on the main screen. NSMB usually only uses a little bit of 3D on the screen, with the rest being drawn by the 2D engine. These aren't 2D + 3D, they're pure 3D games as far as the resource utilization goes. Games with actual full 3D graphics are still even more demanding though, since they tend to put a heavier load on the geometry engine.

That video made my day, good job. Can't wait to try this out myself ;)

Very cool, amazing speed, no one could have expected that.

I wonder if it will run Bleach DS (solid old-school fighting game for the DS) not sure if it's using 3D rendering.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JcQbuiJ7l4w?feature=oembed

But what I'm most excited about is trying some ds homebrew! some games made by myself and two amazing tetris clones come to mind. Can no longer play those as the cable connecting the screens got cut on my DS and my 3DS is not compatible with flashcards.

Looking forward to release. :)

You can use flashcards with 3DS, just not your old ones.
Sure. Then you need to update their firmware when Nintendo blocks them, which may or may not be possible to do on a 3DS. Or never update your 3DS which I think you have to do in order to play some games online or use the eShop. Sooner or later updates will stop coming for your flashcard and you have to buy a new one probably. 

Too much hassle, and it really makes you appreciate the world of open source handhelds. And I mostly played homebrew games anyway so if they play nicely on the pandora I'm in heaven.

Too much hassle, and it really makes you appreciate the world of open source handhelds. And I mostly played homebrew games anyway so if they play nicely on the pandora I'm in heaven.
I agree, but the fact still remains you can use flashcards on a 3DS. I wasn't advocating it or stating that it wasn't a hassle. You know, I was just saying. Plus DS emulation may never be perfect on the Pandora, so that's the only other option. But yeah, I'm really looking forward to this too, despite owning real DS and 3DS hardware. :)

If you make a arm recompiler gba emulator, will you offer it for the caanoo too? There are still caanoo users out there ;) . Would love to use it, when ED repairs my Caanoo.

notaz passed this video along to me.

Is notaz working on this as well, or is he helping out with testing?

Any idea if the video was done on a 600Mhz CC Pandora?

What sort of performance boost do you see for DrasTic if you overclock your Pandora? No need for benchmarks, just curious if overclocking has obvious benefits.

After seeing the video from notaz and having played NSMB on my Nexus 7 with this I'd be calling fake if I didn't know where it was coming from. Huge respect.

Mr_Loon said:
Is notaz working on this as well, or is he helping out with testing?
Neither really at the moment.. he just has access to the git repository and happened to grab it and play around with it.

Mr_Loon said:
Any idea if this was done on a 600Mhz CC Pandora?
It says in the description, it was done on a DM3730 Pandora clocked at 1.2GHz.

Mr_Loon said:
What sort of performance boost do you see for DrasTic if you overclock your Pandora? No need for benchmarks, just curious if overclocking has obvious benefits.
In my very limited testing it scales pretty linearly. It's not like mupen64plus which can be limited by the GPU instead.

Back