Dpad Mod

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Ive had it with the stick, it just not working anymore. The cap split in half and it giving more grief than needed.

So ive have a PS1 joystick i will never use so, ive cut off the dpad pcb off the main board..
There were contacts on the board, so with some help ive drilled holes through the board allowing wires to be soldered through just like a via.
Next step tomorrow will be to take off the stick and solder on the board.
I also plan to solder on a small switch for the stick press. Im plan to not use the diags.

I plan to use a piece of foam to put pressure on the dpad against the case.
After reading up im going to go with some double sided foam tape.
Im still thinking of ideas for cutting the shape I need for the dpad, I was thinking of using the joysitck shell as a template.

Update: I think i might just clip the stick at the pins and solder onto them, seems easier.

Update: Ok here are the pics for my tactile dpad.

It does work, it could be improved. The tactile are too "clicky", I think if I had something with lower force spec it might have a quicker response. Maybe as I use them it will soften up a bit.
The other thing I surprised at was the limit of space for the dpad. I sanded off quite a bit off the dpad,

Note more photos at the end of the thread I could only link so many :-(

Please post pictures of the steps if you can. I am interested in different methods of making the improvement and would like to see how you did it.

Thanks!

Noisome

Noisome said:
Please post pictures of the steps if you can. I am interested in different methods of making the improvement and would like to see how you did it.

Thanks!

Noisome
I will try. Im actually following a couple of threads of people that have already done it. Theres a list on the gp2x wiki to links to them.

Does anyone know the best way to deattach the lcd from the cover. Ive read of a blowdryer method?

Update:
Ive cut the hole, did a quick job of it, not the prettiest job, but it should work. This is only to get me by until pandora. I also had to cut out the screw terminal for holding the pcb, but I think it will be fine as everything is pretty tight in there to begin with. plus the pressure of the new dpad will keep it from moving.
The joystick pcb is attach and working, the wiki page pins were wrong. So i had to figure out the pins by trial and error. I have a mk2.

From the side the joystick is placed:

_________UR U
_____C_________Gnd
____R
__LR_______________UL
__________________L
___Gnd_________Click
_________D DL

So next is trying to fit all of this stuff together and work

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going as planned, its not going to fit, ive tried sanding down the dpad, but it just seem to be enough room. I thought I more room to play with. Im also having problems keeping things aligned so I even register the presses.
So I guess this might be another mod down in flames. I wouldnt have tried it without knowing once I get my pandora my gp2x wouldnt be touched.

There arnt any more of the those DaveC kits around anymore?
Any other ideas? The board itself it fine, I just need a way to regiter the switches.

Plan B.

I going to put 4 tactile sw's on a through hole board and still use the plastic dpad to press the switches.
Even if all fails with I can press the switches directly.

Plan B worked I have a functional tactile dpad. Its a bit of a button masher but it does the job.
Its great for side scrollers, but i little difficult for shooters like doom. But it better than nothing and it will hold be over till pandora. It probally would be better too with a different dpad, but this is all I had.
I do have picture, will upload tomorrow, too late now.

P.S. I hate the gp2x case with a passion.

There are more photos at the beginning of the thread

Pickle said:
Noisome said:

Thanks!

Noisome
I will try. Im actually following a couple of threads of people that have already done it. Theres a list on the gp2x wiki to links to them.

Does anyone know the best way to deattach the lcd from the cover. Ive read of a blowdryer method?

Update:
Ive cut the hole, did a quick job of it, not the prettiest job, but it should work. This is only to get me by until pandora. I also had to cut out the screw terminal for holding the pcb, but I think it will be fine as everything is pretty tight in there to begin with. plus the pressure of the new dpad will keep it from moving.
The joystick pcb is attach and working, the wiki page pins were wrong. So i had to figure out the pins by trial and error. I have a mk2.

From the side the joystick is placed:

_________UR U
_____C_________Gnd
____R
__LR_______________UL
__________________L
___Gnd_________Click
_________D DL

So next is trying to fit all of this stuff together and work

I wish you had checked my thread. I had to find a new pin layout also. Would've saved you some trouble I guess. Well, what's done is done. Looks good so far. I sort of gave up on mine - I preordered Pandora so I don't really feel like working on it anymore.

quadomatic said:
I wish you had checked my thread. I had to find a new pin layout also. Would've saved you some trouble I guess. Well, what's done is done. Looks good so far. I sort of gave up on mine - I preordered Pandora so I don't really feel like working on it anymore.
well i did try to read through as many dpad threads I could find. I took the tactile solution from the bacteria thread for example.
It wasnt a big deal to figure out the pins,

The only thing i wish the tactiles were more sensitive. Ive since the pictures redid the wires to be shorter and more direct. I also drilled a hole on the top and used a tactile switch for the stick click.

Back