Downloadable Mp3s Are They Killing Quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SunSpire said:
I'm using 80kb/s for preview audiostreams, so they do sound a lot worse than the original media but that's not without a reason - it saves space on the webserver and motivates people to buy the high quality song ;)

"SunSpire"
Try encoding at 80kbps 22Khz It sounds better in my opinion than a 44Khz 128 on busy tracks. Although the top end has less sparkle the music sounds less cluttered. Much the same way that an audio cassette still sounds good even though the medium limits the high end. That way you can improve your audio streams without adding bandwidth or if you don't want to offer better sound encode at 22Khz 64kbps and save a bit more space.

I have been ridiculed on this very board fo this statement before. All I said to the person was try it... needless to say they didn't but kept on having a go :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A_SN said:
SunSpire said:
Could everyone please stop calling other people idiots?
Not really, sorry. The only way I can stop calling people idiots is if the said people quit having the nerve to disagree with me, mainly on a subject I know about like 100 times better than them.

Regardless of what you think, I will not shut up as I know for a fact wave superposition does occur. Maybe in the audio industry you refer to it as something different? You should google "Wave Superposition" then you will see what I am talking about at least. How do I know wave super position occurs? I've messed about with altering two separated waves in physics lessons and you can superpose waves in your bathtub. It's easy enough to see. There is no way you are going to tell me that superposition of waves does not occur.

SunSpire said:
Could everyone please stop calling other people idiots? I was following this topic with high interest as I'm sure there's something new to learn for everybody, but personal attacks have made it somewhat unpleasant to read. C'mon guys, we're all adults after all! :)
sam fisher is a child B)

sam fisher said:
A_SN said:
SunSpire said:
Not really, sorry. The only way I can stop calling people idiots is if the said people quit having the nerve to disagree with me, mainly on a subject I know about like 100 times better than them.

Regardless of what you think, I will not shut up as I know for a fact wave superposition does occur. Maybe in the audio industry you refer to it as something different? You should google "Wave Superposition" then you will see what I am talking about at least. How do I know wave super position occurs? I've messed about with altering two separated waves in physics lessons and you can superpose waves in your bathtub. It's easy enough to see. There is no way you are going to tell me that superposition of waves does not occur.

It does occur. I remember having two signal generators and adjusting the frequencies in A-Level physics... You can hear how the waves affect each other. Also the wave tank you can see how the water waves affect each other. This is why as soon as Sam mentioned wave theory I changed my perspective on "wasted frequencies", since these higher or lower frequency waves will still affect any of the standard sound waves that make up whatever crappy music is your flavour!

Noise cancelling headphones work in a similar way. They have a microphone pointing away fro mthe ear on each side and try to invert the soundwaves of the background noise and then play that alongside your music. The noise wave and inverted noise wave cancel out... to what extent depends on the quality(price?) of those headphones.

Anyway we are all wrong and all right at some point so can we agree to disagree and move on with the topic..?

sam fisher said:
Technically speaking, i'm not.
But Psychologically speaking...?

Anyway, back on topic. When i tried Foobar2000, the missing volume bar bothered me, and it was too minimalistic and plain for my needs.

Also when discussing low - quality audio files, don´t forget that (analogue) radio only has 22kHz, so it was way before the advent of digital audio that our ears got tuned to inferior quality.

sam fisher said:
A_SN said:
SunSpire said:

God, you're so fucking thick. OF COURSE WAVE SUPERPOSITION OCCURS IT JUST DOESNT HAVE A SINGLE FUCKING THING TO DO WITH ULTRASOUNDS. Dumb ass.

PokeParadox said:
Anyway we are all wrong and all right at some point so can we agree to disagree and move on with the topic..?
No, I'm right, and you're just off-topic.

A_SN said:
As I said yesterday, you are just being dense ;).

A_SN said:
God, you're so fucking thick. OF COURSE WAVE SUPERPOSITION OCCURS IT JUST DOESNT HAVE A SINGLE FUCKING THING TO DO WITH ULTRASOUNDS. Dumb ass.
The ultrasound waves, assuming ultrasound to be a wave above the upper hearing boundary for a human being, WILL superpose the audible sound waves, changing the sound interpreted by the human ear. Hence when you don't sample high enough to include any of those waves, a recording WILL sound different from a live performance.

And why do you keep bringing up things irrelevant to what we are arguing over. Must I post the straw man poster yet again?

sam fisher said:
A_SN said:
The ultrasound waves, assuming ultrasound to be a wave above the upper hearing boundary for a human being, WILL superpose the audible sound waves, changing the sound interpreted by the human ear. Hence when you don't sample high enough to include any of those waves, a recording WILL sound different from a live performance.

There's so many reasons that live music sounds different, this is the least important.

I reported this thread, it's getting beyond a joke now. Now to wait for one of our dilligent mods to come close it... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back