Doukutsu Monogatari ~ Cave Story

Knoxximus said:
Unzip? Am I supposed to change the '.tar' to '.zip' or '.rar' or something like that?
This probably means that you don't have a program that can handle .tar files, I'm using winrar and I have no problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know if this has been asked before, but I am stuck in the room with all the big eggs. I read on a computer that one of the terminals should be able to disable the energy shield near egg 00. I can check all terminals, but i don't know what to do next... help!

the eggs of which the terminals raise an error? anyways, thanks!!! that should get me going again.. can't wait.

I was away while this was in full swing. What a great port, it runs perfectly. Thanks for the fine work you did Simon :)

I played a bit of Cave Story on PC a few months ago, but somehow I forgot about it even though I liked it a lot. The experience on the GP2X is actually better, thanks to the controls and the brilliant graphics that stand out even more on the small screen. It's quite amazing it only took Pixel five years to complete a project of such greatness. Graphics, music, programming, story... that guy has raw talent, good for him for sharing his gift with the world (for free :D).

I just wonder Simon, how did you go about obtaining the official source code? I heard Pixel wants you to reverse engineer a prototype first :blink: Also, what sound library does the GP2X port use?

Thanks again, I've been playing this on the subway and before falling asleep all week.

anyone experiencing problems in this room ?
Plantation zone ..
i probably skipped an ending by avoiding the doctor and green dragon in a "fluffy-clouds-presentation"
and reach the "Plantation"

when i enter this door ..the game exits to gp2x menu

any help?

plantation01ey3.jpg

==========================================

plantation02el3.jpg

well ..i`m at work now and gp2x is at home sleeping :)

probably an outdated version?
in this case ..replacing with 1.4 will keep my saves?
anyway .. fantastic game .. i just can't quit playing :)

I use the latest version in the archive, and I had no problems. The only problem is the end boss, but that's another problem ;)

With the last update, there is no longer a crash at this door.
But I gave up at another point. I play Hard mode and the level after the Plantation (the cave to the surface) now its insane! o.o" It was a hard part in normal mode but now this part is just an joke. The smallest problem is the dropdown of all weapons to Level 1. The Cave itself is just a nightmare, even with Jetpack 2.0. I think I have to be an japanese Video-Crack to beat this level. ^^""""""

fusion_power said:
With the last update, there is no longer a crash at this door.
But I gave up at another point. I play Hard mode and the level after the Plantation (the cave to the surface) now its insane! o.o" It was a hard part in normal mode but now this part is just an joke. The smallest problem is the dropdown of all weapons to Level 1. The Cave itself is just a nightmare, even with Jetpack 2.0. I think I have to be an japanese Video-Crack to beat this level. ^^""""""
Stuck there in hard mode as well. :unsure:

Hey all,

I just joined the GP32x board recently and thought I'd do a search for Cave Story.

Glad you guys are enjoying it, sounds like Simon did a great job with the GP2X code.

You've no idea how long it took me to get Pixel's source code and start the SDL port!

Pete

I found it pretty hard to put down. It's true what people say about it - it's just unbelievably playable - perfect difficulty balance, simple controls, great physics, etc.

The only reason I've stopped at the moment is because the ending is super hard, as you'd expect, and I don't have time to play for extended periods...

PeterM said:
Hey all,

I just joined the GP32x board recently and thought I'd do a search for Cave Story.

Glad you guys are enjoying it, sounds like Simon did a great job with the GP2X code.

You've no idea how long it took me to get Pixel's source code and start the SDL port!

Pete
I can't thank you enough for the hard work!

Back