Dosbox

paldepind

Still Fresh
How good is DOSbox on Wiz? I've seen a video of a Wiz playing Warcraft in DOSbox. But what else is it capable of playing? Will it play games like Duke Nukem 3D, Death Rally, Supaplex, Doom?

Warcraft probably wasn't playing in DOSbox, it's way too slow to play anything except really old games (EGA stuff is about the limit at the moment, hopefully this will change). Warcraft has a Wiz port (so does Doom, Heretic etc...), that's most likely what you saw. Dosbox certainly will not handle games like Duke Nukem 3D, Death Rally, Supaplex, Doom. Remember though, a lot of games from the 1990's were also available on other systems - especially the Amiga which does have fairly good emulation on the wiz, but still needs some work to get the mouse working properly. I'd reccomend using Sega Megadrive/cd32 ports if they are available as the controls for console games suits the wiz very well (SNES is also emulated extremely well, but Megadrive/genesis can run very well underclocked and save power).

Thanks that's everything i needed to know! Btw, the video I was talking about is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H2qOAZKa68

Yeah, I'd recommend looking into console versions of PC games, and/or seeing if the games you want to play are compatible with SCUMMVM. Going by the list you gave that might not be the case, but if you're into any sorts of point and click PC games there's a good chance they'll work with SCUMMVM.

I hope DOSBox improves on the Wiz though, it has some great potential. I haven't tried it out myself but from what I've heard it's not quite up to par just yet.

World of Warcraft - yes I'm sure that'll be ported to the Wiz right after they port GTA IV.

There are some things that run good and are worth using DOSbox for - Prince of Persia 4D is an absolute MUST for anyone who enjoyed the original game, it runs great. Personally I'll be delighted if and when DOSbox can play Buzz Aldrins Race Into Space, Star Trek Judgment Rights and Sherlock Holmes and the Case Of The Rose Tattoo - oh yeah, and another game I've always wanted to play is almost playable already "Rex Nebular and the Intergalactic Gender Bender" as is "Skyroads" which if I could just get a teeny bit more FPS would have me hooked for hours. Yes, DOSbox has massive potential - all those games and hundreds more would be totally playable with just a few more optimisations...

axiomprime said:
As soon as they've done GTA IV they should start on Crysis.

Nah, Crysis is considered too old now... It's time to get Arkham Asylum in the palm of your hands!

(Actually, me saying that out loud didn't sound that bad...)

Back on topic, I really want to try to get a bunch of Sierra games ported over to the Wiz, mainly King's Quest 5.

That game, if you don't know every little thing to do (like most people who first played it), it is cruel, unusual, and at most times unforgiving.
Accidentally click your character to walk over to the lake instead of on the walkway? He falls in, can't swim, and drowns. Click on a ledge? Go cliff diving and scream at the top of your lungs! (That scream is so memorable, I have it as my text message ringtone, and everyone looks at me weirdly whenever it goes off in the middle of class :p )

I had almost gotten it to work on the GP2X version of DosBox (it boots up, goes to the main screen, couldn't move the cursor), but I couldn't get it running on the Wiz. I tried to convert the config file used for Quest of Glory 3 (which is how it ran on GP2X), but on the Wiz it just crashed to the main menu. I'd appreciate any advice on how to get it running. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to know if that's possible too, only make it King's Quest VI. Though I am interested in playing V too, but VI has always been my favorite. I really wish that scumm had support for these games, because it would make so much sense if it did. I'd try doing this myself but I don't know much about dosbox config files.

Back