Dosbox

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
pickle.gp2x.de/dosbox_wiz.zip

This is the gp2x version minus the zoom feature. It also only supports 320x240(200) games. If you run something outside this size expect bad results.

The files are setup for /mnt/sd/dosbox, so make sure to change all paths if you do something different.

The setup is a little different, I moved the calling gpe script to the dosbox folder instead of in the game folder. I did this because of the shared libs. If I put it in the game folder the shared libs have to be there too. That means a copy of the shared libs would have to be in every game folder.
This causes some other side effects mainly the location of the mapper.txt. If you want to use the mapper.txt in the game folder the path in the dosbox.conf must be change i.e. ./mygame/mapper.txt You could also put the mapper.txt in the dosbox folder and maybe give a unique name, then you wouldnt need the path i.e mapper=mapper_duke.txt

Also remember no stick press, so change your mapper as needed.

Setting up dosbox isnt for the faint hearted. If you run into problems be very specific in what your doing and how your setup. I would prefer people who test the beta have had used it on the gp2x before.

OK, I get it to work. First game I tried is Special Forces. Video output, controls and Soundblaster 1 emulation are working. The sound is a little bit low. The speed is roughly the same as with the F-100/200. I do some more tests later..

Well done!

Regards,
Stephan

sbock posted on May 30 2009 at 02:23 PM said:
OK, I get it to work. First game I tried is Special Forces. Video output, controls and Soundblaster 1 emulation are working. The sound is a little bit low. The speed is roughly the same as with the F-100/200. I do some more tests later..

Well done!

Regards,
Stephan
thanks, and im glad you were able to get something to run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow,

I've tried it with zeliard and all's well in functionality. Speedwise it's just about playable if I use just speaker sound.

Fiddling with the sound it seems the mixer frequency must be at least 22050 Hz or there will be no sb1 sound. I tried 11025 with no success .
On the F-100/200 this is a working value.

sbock posted on May 30 2009 at 05:48 PM said:
Fiddling with the sound it seems the mixer frequency must be at least 22050 Hz or there will be no sb1 sound. I tried 11025 with no success .
On the F-100/200 this is a working value.
Ah yes that is a known problem with the wiz, DO NOT use 11025 for anything. Use 22050

Hello Pickle :)
first of all thank you for your work!

I'm trying to run Eye of the Beholder but I've no luck or I'm missing something... after changing options here and there now I can reach a black screen with a pointer I can move with the stylus (mouse) but nothing more, btw Wizardry 7 seems run fine even if a bit slow but I've to play more with options

Working, nice \0/

- The basic script you included for Duke Nukum: "Shrapnel City" works great
- And as espected, Duke Nukum: Episode two "Mission Moonbase" and Duke Nukum: Trapped in the Future" does also work
- Solomons Key, runs great, but it runs to fast :D (but playable), sound to

Also tried Zaliard and Special Forces, both confirmd working (tad slow, but he who cares)

Ah, well and some didn't work at all, but he, "Duke Nukum series work, so who complains!

I got Monkey Island 1 and 2 (FW 1.0.1) working, but sound stutters for SB1/2. Might be wrong sound settings.
Also the crosshair movevment is weird, but i guess thats caused by a wrong mapper. I used the duke mapper for the lack of knowledge :p
I will play around with it
Great work, pickle!

Does anyone know the keycodes the wiz provides?
As I don´t have duke, I can´t figure out which ones are actually used.

Moonstone, Hero Quest, Realms of Arkania 1+2 and Bards Tale I started up fine btw...

Ghanji
The mappings are the same as the gp2x. Any keyboard key can be mapped to a wiz button
The wiz button's start at 256.

I tested a few games. I'm a newbie with Gp2x * and DosBox. I read some forums, but my dosbox skill is poor. Here is some info (and sorry for my poor English :)

SB card - I read, that there is almost impossible to run games with SB cards well on older Gp2x, so it will be probably the similar with Wiz.
The SB card doesn't work well with any game I tested.

Eye of Beholder - doesn't work (probably because it starts a setup dialogs when you run it - so it could have a solution when you map right keys :)
Eye of Beholder 2 - works slow, almost playable
Lands Of Lore - works slow, almost playable (it could be playable when you turn the smoothing movement off in the game menu)
Discworld - works slow, but playable
Kyrandia - looks playable

Discworld - the best performance was with these settings (but it could slow another games)
core=auto
cycles=auto

frameskip 2-4 could help to improve the game speed too.

And I have a few questions:
1. Is any way how to show FPS in the dosbox?
2. Is any way how to quit the dosbox without reseting the console?
3. the mouse was not mapped perfectly (f.e. in Eye of Beholder 2). The game arrow was maybe 10-20 pixels right from the stick. Is it possible to fix it? It is happened mostly near the left side of the game screen.

Thanks,
Tovy..

. The game arrow was maybe 10-20 pixels right from the stick. Is it possible to fix it? It is happened mostly near the left side of the game screen.
1. Theres a FPS, which is more like screen updates/sec. Look in the read me for the mapping
2. Theres a command you can map to, i dont remember what it is. Try looking up in the official PC mapper/readme
3. This is could because the screen is not stretched (200 vs 240 pixels) There is also the option to use the dpad for the mouse, look up i the readme on how to use it.

Does anyone know the keycodes the wiz provides?
It looks like that the mapping is not the same as the Gp2x, because it starts from number 97 on Gp2x. I don't test all keys, but I think the Wiz mapping is:

Directional controls:

"key 256" Up
"key 258" Left
"key 260" Down
"key 262" Right

Buttons:

"key 269" B
"key 271" X
"key 268" A
"key 270" Y
"key 265" Select
"key 264" Start/Menu
"key 266" L1
"key 267" R1
"key 273" Vol-
"key 272" Vol+

97 was used in the older gp2x versions, but when I added the virtual keyboard I had to increase the offset to 256.
With your shutdown problem, do you have the gp2xmenu being restarted in the gpe script?

. Maybe it runs a text mode or something.
With your shutdown problem, do you have the gp2xmenu being restarted in the gpe script?
I have the same issue, exiting via hand_shutdown results in a black screen.
Although the last line of the .gpe looks like:
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
just like in the Duke1 example,

[Edit]

cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

just works fine...

---
The codes for Buttons X & Y in the readme are interchanged,
should be:
Y 271

regards

I got Ultima Underworld 1 to boot and run, I watched the intro, made a character and entered the... er, nope EMS error C004 <_<
I got Alone in the Dark 1 to mount ISO Boot Run with Music and Sound and well ever so close to almost playable. ~9FPS~ :rolleyes:
I got Betrayal at Krondor to boot run no sound no music horribly slow; tried lotz of changes; no go at ~3FPS~ :angry:
Duke Nukem 1 works real well :lol:
Elder Scrolls 1: Arena (CD) mounts ISO, then... thennn... er, finally the intro plays after a significant wait. Created a character, but the screen garbles at the stat point allocation. :ph34r:
Gabriel Knight 1 (CD), same ^ same :unsure: ( oops 640x screen )
Masters of Orion 1 works fairly well, some stutter to sound, and what little animation there is can be a bit choppy, !but it's toooo small to see! :angry:
:wiz: Curse of Enchantia works fairly well, but the mouse leaves a lot to be desired.
:wiz: Duke Nukem II, runs a tiny bit slow, but is completely playable.
:wiz: Ultima 6, is working, very tiny, poor mouse but playable from keystrokes

Everything I have tested so far, is configured to PC Speaker, and no midi, sblaster, and no gus.

I'll keep trying games... and posting results....

BTW: MUCH SUPER MUCH THANKS Mr. Pickle....
Please keep up the good work, and let me know if there is ~ANYTHING~ I can do to help improve DosBox.
-DEJ

Edit: I have further discovered that ASPECT=TRUE in a CONF is an immediate Segment Fault.
Something to keep in mind when porting CONF files from a PC DosBox install...
-DEJ

Edit: Also WAITONERROR Defaults to TRUE in the DosBox v0.72 Mr. Pickle uses.
Which is bad for us, since we cant see the shell after a crash.
So it's important to always have WAITONERROR=FALSE
-DEJ

Edit: I haven't seen this documented anywhere, but clearly GUS=TRUE is ignored.
There is no support compiled for UltraSnd?
-DEJ

Edit: This is odd... I have altered the included "duke1.gpe" so that it redirects stdout/err
CODE
#! /bin/sh
GAMENAME=duke1

DIRROOT=/mnt/sd/game/emu/dosbox
CONFIG=${DIRROOT}/conf/${GAMENAME}.conf

${DIRROOT}/dosbox -conf ${CONFIG} >stdout.txt 2>stderr.txt

sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
./gp2xmenu

And the result in STDERR is:
CODE
rmmod: mmuhack: No such file or directory

Is that significant?
-DEJ

Hey Pickle! Digging up this old thread to look what's up with Dosbox...

The touchscreen mouse emulation works quite well. But only if the Wiz runs at default speed. Overclocking it with pollux_set the pointer is not calibrated anymore. When you exit Dosbox the problem remains in the Wiz menu untill you reboot. Do you think there's a solution for this problem?
Otherwise Dosbox on the Wiz runs quite good and stable. Time to put it in the archive?

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Hey Pickle! Digging up this old thread to look what's up with Dosbox...

The touchscreen mouse emulation works quite well. But only if the Wiz runs at default speed. Overclocking it with pollux_set the pointer is not calibrated anymore. When you exit Dosbox the problem remains in the Wiz menu untill you reboot. Do you think there's a solution for this problem?
Otherwise Dosbox on the Wiz runs quite good and stable. Time to put it in the archive?

Regards,
Stephan

I think there are issues with the touchscreen in general, uae4all, supertux are other where the screen is off. I think the problem is with SDL or at a lower level. I have no ideas how to fix it.
I have also been thinking of uploading everything soon.

Back