Dosbox

CyberAxe

has anybody tried out the new dosbox port? i havent managed to get anything running on it screen goes black (its a shame you cant see the dos console stuff onscreen)

You can see the dos console. check out http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox I only put it together yesterday so it may or may not help. There are a few games listed that ive tested and sample files configs. Check out the installation section and see if you got it right.

CyberAxe posted on Feb 19 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
has anybody tried out the new dosbox port? i havent managed to get anything running on it screen goes black (its a shame you cant see the dos console stuff onscreen)
same here, only black screen. tried also the example game blockout. (copied dosbox directory in the root of my sd card. dl the blockout zip file and unziped in dosbox/blockout. start with dosbox/blockout/blockout.gpe)
what did i wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
caddy77 posted on Feb 19 2006 at 09:17 PM said:
CyberAxe posted on Feb 19 2006 at 03:32 PM said:
same here, only black screen. tried also the example game blockout. (copied dosbox directory in the root of my sd card. dl the blockout zip file and unziped in dosbox/blockout. start with dosbox/blockout/blockout.gpe)
what did i wrong?
The mechanics of grammar ;)

dioxide posted on Feb 19 2006 at 08:45 PM said:
Is it possible to post screenies of stuff working?

Tyrian 2000 (http://members.iinet.net.au/~vannevar/tyrian/downloads.html) works well, but still too slow to be really playable. :(
Is there a way to integrate a Cpu tweaker into this dosbox port?

I've been getting reports of people who can't get it working. It's very odd -- some people have no trouble, some never see it work. I'm trying to figure out what the common denominator is. Obviously, I haven't yet.

I'm also seeing some discussion in the Devel section here that some folks are having trouble with the HW-accelerated SDL. It may be related -- I don't know yet. My first thought right now is to generate a SDL "hello world" app using the HW-accel SDL and see who can see it.

As far as speed -- I haven't really done much yet other than compiler optimization. (It used to be a lot slower, if you can believe that.) This first release was really just to show that it will work -- at least for some people <g>.

I'll try to do some updating on the wiki myself. That's probably the best place to share info.

bjimba posted on Feb 20 2006 at 03:26 AM said:
I've been getting reports of people who can't get it working. It's very odd -- some people have no trouble, some never see it work. I'm trying to figure out what the common denominator is. Obviously, I haven't yet.

I'm also seeing some discussion in the Devel section here that some folks are having trouble with the HW-accelerated SDL. It may be related -- I don't know yet. My first thought right now is to generate a SDL "hello world" app using the HW-accel SDL and see who can see it.

As far as speed -- I haven't really done much yet other than compiler optimization. (It used to be a lot slower, if you can believe that.) This first release was really just to show that it will work -- at least for some people <g>.

I'll try to do some updating on the wiki myself. That's probably the best place to share info.
I have compiled some simple applications that used Paeryns SDL so I don't think thats it.
Strangely it worked once for me. But I pressed lots of keys (in shock) and suddenly it was on the black screen again.

Btw you did compile -static didn't you? Or should I have some SDL libraries on my GP2x.

Hanz™ posted on Feb 19 2006 at 10:39 PM said:
I have compiled some simple applications that used Paeryns SDL so I don't think thats it.
Strangely it worked once for me. But I pressed lots of keys (in shock) and suddenly it was on the black screen again.

Btw you did compile -static didn't you? Or should I have some SDL libraries on my GP2x.
Oh, well, another theory down the drain. Yes, I linked staticly. (The resulting binary is over 6meg -- it *better* be static!)

bjimba posted on Feb 19 2006 at 10:22 PM said:
Oh, well, another theory down the drain. Yes, I linked staticly. (The resulting binary is over 6meg -- it *better* be static!)

Speaking of which ... if you run arm-linux-strip on the binary, it's only 2.9 MB.

mwolson posted on Feb 20 2006 at 12:55 AM said:
Speaking of which ... if you run arm-linux-strip on the binary, it's only 2.9 MB.

D'oh!

I made the (in retrospect, stupid) assumption that DosBox's Makefile would have run strip. It probably does that during 'make install', which I didn't run. Thanks.

bjimba posted on Feb 19 2006 at 10:26 PM said:
I'm trying to figure out what the common denominator is.

clearly it must be a presence or lack of L33T SK1LLZ

kidding

techFreak posted on Feb 20 2006 at 06:06 AM said:
How do i hit enter? :) or... How do i select the screen mode on block out example?

If you're using the dosbox.conf and mapper.txt that I included in the tarball, [Enter] is mapped to the GP2X [Vol +] button.

This, and the other key mappings I picked, are in the README.gp2x file in the 'blockout' directory.

Back