Dosbox Games You're Looking Forward To

[quote name=\'Prometheus\' date=\'25 August 2010 - 01:30 AM\' timestamp=\'1282692619\' post=\'910434\']<br />^ This. But bear in mind that 5000 is probably excessive. I found that 3000 gave the best approximations, personally.<br />[/quote]<br />
At least on my pc, it depends on the games I play (not so many, so far).
FlashBack \"needs\" at least 4500 to run smooth.
I tested a few Ultima last night, and while Martian Dreams and Savage Empire run fine around 4000 (with the cursor blinking like crazy), Underworld is a bit choppy at 5000, but it may have to do with how \"heavy\" to manage 3D is...
But obviously, I don\'t know ^^

I suppose the cycles needed vary on the generation of the game/program...
There\'s also the possibility of allowing more memory for Dosbox, but I am yet to try that.

PS: Sorry about the backslashes, I have to use a proxy to access the forums from the office (baaaaaad), and it messes things a bit.

@WizardStan, Yea off loading the sound would be sweet, any idea if it's in the works? I'm trying to remember who even mentioned adding hardware acceleration to dosbox. Was it Adventus adding his plug-in? I'm having trouble finding it with search, but I know I remember something...

@MUMBL35, I'm not completely sure but I think if you set the cycles higher than the pandora will do it has the same effect as setting them to max. It's odd that your getting different results though. Perhaps there is another variable your not thinking of? Interesting, if I had my Pandora (out for repair) I'd test it out and see if I got the same results.

I was assuming 3000 cycles for 500mhz and 5000 for maxed out 800+mhz. I'll be interested to see whats possible once someone does some tests with an overvolted Panda. 1ghz FTW! :D

MonkeyChops said:
I'm trying to remember who even mentioned adding hardware acceleration to dosbox. Was it Adventus adding his plug-in? I'm having trouble finding it with search, but I know I remember something...

Well, according to Pickle it MAY make a difference (not sure if it´s the post you were looking for ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
MonkeyChops said:
@WizardStan, Yea off loading the sound would be sweet, any idea if it's in the works? I'm trying to remember who even mentioned adding hardware acceleration to dosbox. Was it Adventus adding his plug-in? I'm having trouble finding it with search, but I know I remember something...

@MUMBL35, I'm not completely sure but I think if you set the cycles higher than the pandora will do it has the same effect as setting them to max. It's odd that your getting different results though. Perhaps there is another variable your not thinking of? Interesting, if I had my Pandora (out for repair) I'd test it out and see if I got the same results.

I was assuming 3000 cycles for 500mhz and 5000 for maxed out 800+mhz. I'll be interested to see whats possible once someone does some tests with an overvolted Panda. 1ghz FTW! :D

Ill mess with it more the next few days. Its hard to tell without some kind of benchmark. If I up the cycles in game past 16000 it seems the game gets slower too.

MonkeyChops said:
I was assuming 3000 cycles for 500mhz and 5000 for maxed out 800+mhz.
Really? At least with the stuff I've tried, 3000 cycles on my main box is equivalent to my Pandora doing that at 850MHz. :blink:

I may be suffering from foot-in-mouth disease. I don't have my Pandora right now to prove otherwise

Quarantine is a must for me and should run without any issues. (It only required a 386DX and 4MB of RAM.) I need to dig out my original disc and give it a try before my Panda arrives...

I would actually pay for a working Interstate '76 port, but I know that one is especially unlikely. (And when I say "pay", I mean "pay again". I still own the original, Nitro expansion, 3-D accelerated, and "Gold Pack" versions of the original as well as the Saitek PC Dash accessory that came with a pre-printed layover for controlling all of your I76 weapons. Yeah - I'm a little nuts about this game...)

Anyone else played Dune (not Dune II). I liked it.
Also Atomix a puzzle game where you need to slide atoms together.

Tomb Raider would be nice but I've got it on PS1 so that's my route methinks.

Has anyone tried Albion? Looking on Wikipedia the requirements are similar if not less than Little Big Adventure, and that has been reported as working.

Although it had to be statically recompiled by M-HT on the GP2X (which M-HT said that he would port to the Pandora at some point).

IIRC someone said that it would run good through Ginge, so there's not really a need for an explicit port to the Pandora

Letalis Sonus said:
IIRC someone said that it would run good through Ginge, so there's not really a need for an explicit port to the Pandora

Completely forgot about the possibilities of Ginge. You're quite correct, there's a good likelihood that it'll run just fine using Ginge.

I would prefer a native port though, just for convenience.

I really would like to see Ascendancy working in acceptable speed - I love this game.

Back