Dosbox Games You're Looking Forward To

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
I've never used DOSBox before, but I started to think about it, and I think there are at least a few games I'd want to try.

The first ones that come to mind are Relentless and Twinsen's Odyssey (LBA 1&2). I've never played Alone in the Dark, but I may want to try it. I'll probably play Warcraft as well.

What do you all want to play in DOSBox?

Here's what comes to mind for me, instantly: Jazz Jackrabbit, Pharaoh's Tomb*, Arctic Adventure*, and Commander Keen (Invasion of the Vorticons, and Goodbye Galaxy), along with the bizarre officially-licensed MS-DOS Mega Man titles. :p

Since x86-based machines were largely irrelevant here until the mid/late 1990s, there are a number of games I have yet to discover (I mean, Commander Keen is a recent thing, for me, even :p ), so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

*(Both Pharaoh's Tomb and Arctic Adventure are legally available as freeware here.)

I know it's a stretch, but One Must Fall: 2097 is pretty high on my list :D

EDIT: Oh, and Warcraft II, of course :)

I really want to go though the two Dark Sun games. I had the first one when I was a kid but lost one floppy disk(out of 6?, still have them somewhere) and never passed it. I recently found both of them on CD though so I want to give them a try.

As for other straight up DOS games I'm sure I can think of some, but some of the are Scumm games so I'll use ScummVM.

I have a copy of Dark Forces, that would be fun.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Warcraft II, got that.

Ultima VI
Ultima: Martian Dreams
Wing Commander
Kings Quest V
Space Quest IV

Ooh Wing Commander, there's a blast from the past :)

I play Eve online which to me is how we fantasized over 20 years ago Elite should look like in the future with a nice bit of Wing Commander thrown in.

- Sierra classics (Quest for Glory saga, Space Quest saga, Gabriel Knight...)
- Megatech games (Cobra Mission and Knights of Xentar, mainly)
- Infogrames adventures (Eternam, Shadow of the Comet, Alone in the Dark...)
- Princess Maker 2
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Darksun I & II

And I guess most of them should run reasonably well :)

Khan said:
- Space Quest saga
Space Quest are Scumm games, I'd suggest using ScummVM for them. I'm sure its a lot faster and will take up less resources/power.
Chrab said:
Timstertoo said:
The 2 Discworld point and click adventures would be great :)

+1 :)

Rincewind FTW!!!
Ah, those also. I'll stop this right now because there are a ton of DOS games that are Scumm and will work better through ScummVM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Khan said:
- Sierra classics (Quest for Glory saga, Space Quest saga, Gabriel Knight...)
- Megatech games (Cobra Mission and Knights of Xentar, mainly)
- Infogrames adventures (Eternam, Shadow of the Comet, Alone in the Dark...)
- Princess Maker 2
- Betrayal at Krondor
- Darksun I & II

And I guess most of them should run reasonably well :)

Betrayal at Krondor was such an amazing game. Have you read any of Feist's novels?

second exodous said:
Space Quest are Scumm games, I'd suggest using ScummVM for them. I'm sure its a lot faster and will take up less resources/power.

AFAIK Scummvm only supports the old SCI0 engine (earlier Sierra Games with typing interface and EGA graphics).

The only few DOS games I ever really enjoyed are far to late-end DOS to work on the Panda.

"Blood" - is a particular favourite of mine, relentless, fast paced & gory! if you have ever played "Duke 3D" you will know what to expect, as it was also developed by 3D Realms.

Timstertoo said:
The 2 Discworld point and click adventures would be great :)
For them is much better to use ScummVM (and for many more games).

I would love to revisit Curse of Enchantia, Big Red Racing, Cannon Fodder I & II, Battle Bugs, Overlord, F29 Retaliator, The Incredible Machine more & II, Warcraft I & II, Gobliins I II & III, lemmings series, One Must Fall 2097,

And some I've never played but I'd like to try: Dragonsphere, Alien Incident, Alone in the Dark, Lure of the Temptress, Fable, Legend of Kyrandia I II & III, Ultima series, Dune 2,

spamfisher said:
"Blood" - is a particular favourite of mine, relentless, fast paced & gory! if you have ever played "Duke 3D" you will know what to expect, as it was also developed by 3D Realms.
Likewise, however I have little expectations this will run at full speed on the Pandora..

Back