Doing The Math

jumpman said:
If the team has to raise the next batch to $400, I think they should.

Unfortunately, after shipping and currency conversion fees, it ended up costing me $380, so it's pretty much already that high...but obviously you guys can't continue to sell at a loss.

Is there any chance these parts will become less expensive (since OMAP3 is a little older now), helping you guys gain more of a profit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Klarth said:
craigix said:
However, when you get your Pandora you will understand the awesomeness and why it is expensive.
I hope the late 3000s folks can understand that soon.

WHAT?

when did 3k of the customers of first batch die??

that would leave OPT 3k units and 3k units profit.

and for the record, im still alive!

EDIT:

im only aware that supposedly one customer had some terminal k, was it Gerald?

DroneB Dev said:
WHAT?

when did 3k of the customers of first batch die??

that would leave OPT 3k units and 3k units profit.

and for the record, im still alive!

EDIT:

im only aware that supposedly one customer had some terminal k, was it Gerald?
I think he means "late" as in "the last of the", not "late" as in "recently deceased" :p

WizardStan said:
not "late" as in "recently deceased" :p
I had no idea that "late" can mean "recently deceased" in english :eek:
Thats propably why I didnt understand DroneB Dev's reply at all :p

DroneB Dev said:
that was intended as a joke...
bah, nvm
I know it was, but I also knew someone else wouldn't get it. And I was right :)
I was trying to clarify before someone posted confusion without giving away the joke :)

Timstertoo said:
EvilDragon said:
zRichi said:
Seeing as op are selling pandas at 270 English pounds...and they plan on selling ten thousand. That's like 2.7 million.

If they sell like hot cakes will op make more? Or had the toll on the op team been like ten thou and that's it

And... you don't think we also need to pay for parts and production?

In fact, the first batch did cost us a lot more than we got.
We HOPE to get that back at least with the second batch.

Did zRichi edit his post or are you answering another question?

I think he's asking if you will produce more Pandora's after the initial 10k if they sell well or that will be it.

Personally I hope you guys make a crapload of money and sell silly amounts of them. :)

No I didn't change my post. I *was* just asking if they sold well would the panda team make more than ten thousand.

zRichi said:
No I didn't change my post. I *was* just asking if they sold well would the panda team make more than ten thousand.

It seems a slightly odd question, I guess. If your employer seemed to appreciate the work you were doing, and wanted to pay you for more than 365 days, would you continue going into work past the first year?

If Pandora just keeps on selling, the only thing that would likely stop OpenPandora making more would likely be Pandora 2. They have said they don't expect to become multi-millionaires off Pandora 1, but they wouldn't complain.

Why is it an odd question?
The more people that own an open source product...the better the product is. If a million people own a pandora, the pandora would be a better product because the scene would be more active.

I was only asking as if OP sell another 10 thousand then it's more money in their pocket and better for the scene.

zRichi said:
Why is it an odd question?
The more people that own an open source product...the better the product is. If a million people own a pandora, the pandora would be a better product because the scene would be more active.

I was only asking as if OP sell another 10 thousand then it's more money in their pocket and better for the scene.

Why would they NOT make more?

I heard they were doing a run of ten thousand and that was project completed

its odd, because i believe they have never said it was a limited amount device.

except the limited edition ones.

and is also like asking hey if you get good money doing that would you keep doing that?

zRichi said:
I heard they were doing a run of ten thousand and that was project completed

That is completely off base. The only time the number 10,000 was ever mentioned is that it was the minimum order size they could get for the cases.

-God Ginrai

DroneB Dev said:
its odd, because i believe they have never said it was a limited amount device.

except the limited edition ones.

and is also like asking hey if you get good money doing that would you keep doing that?

They've gone further - Craig has said that he would like to produce cases after the initial 10,000 order in a Western, nearer factory where they hope to get better communication. I wouldn't say that if I were planning on never making any more. He's also said that after making these molds he wants to use them and use them until they wear out (despite not being cheap easy-to-wear-out molds) and so on and so forth.

When you're doing something that's earning money, you have to have a reason to STOP doing it, not a reason to continue. IMHO.

Monk said:
When you're doing something that's earning money, you have to have a reason to STOP doing it, not a reason to continue. IMHO.
Especially since it sounds like they'd be lucky to break even on the first ten thousand anyway.

Aninhumer said:
Monk said:
Especially since it sounds like they'd be lucky to break even on the first ten thousand anyway.

Agreed, though the break-even point seems to wander wildly. I remember when it moved and they'd no longer break even until perhaps as late as the third batch... and the other day it looked like ED was saying they'd move into profit during the second batch. Actually, that got me idly wondering where they'd saved so much money since telling us that they wouldn't be into profit until the third batch!

Monk said:
Actually, that got me idly wondering where they'd saved so much money since telling us that they wouldn't be into profit until the third batch!
They switched their car insurance. To anybody. Apparently every car insurer is cheaper than every other car insurer, so as long as you switch from one to another, you save a lot of money.

lulzfish said:
Monk said:
Actually, that got me idly wondering where they'd saved so much money since telling us that they wouldn't be into profit until the third batch!
They switched their car insurance. To anybody. Apparently every car insurer is cheaper than every other car insurer, so as long as you switch from one to another, you save a lot of money.

You're telling me! I just kept switching from Geico to Geico and now I pay $0 monthly. ;P

-God Ginrai

I just meant that I really hope me and others who ordered not long ago, that is, we are 3500+ on preorder list, can understand the awesomeness of pandora soon, for those who didn't get this one aswell, it means we hope to get our pandys soon.

Sorry for not making myself clear to your clever eyes :rolleyes:

Back