Dingoo Or Wiz

DrPreston

Still Fresh
I'm debating over either a GP2X Wiz or Dingoo A320 to tide me over until the Pandora is made generally available. I'm tired of the Pandora being "just around the corner". It was supposedly supposed to be out a year ago. Sorry, I'm ranting.

Anyway, in your opinions, which is better for what I want to do.
Things I absolutely want to do include

1. Gameboy Advance games, particularly Mario games and Pokemon
2. SNES Games. The ability to play StarFox would be nice, but it's obviously not very practical on either system right now
3. Sega Genesis/MegaDrive games
4. Doom. Can't live without Doom

Comments on how well Doom plays on either of them would be well appreciated.

Sorry if this has been done before.

I think star fox will be possible eventually on the Wiz, but I'm not so sure about the Dingoo. It is much weaker than the Wiz.
Every single Sega Genesis game I have played on the Wiz runs perfectly. I have heard that the Genesis emulator on the Dingoo has a scan line issue.
Doom is flawless on the Wiz apart from some minor screen tearing(which may be fixed in the future). I think the Dingoo has the same level of quality, but no tearing.
GBA games run great on the Wiz, but I do not know how good the Dingoo is. However, I cannot seem to get Warioland 4 to run anymore...Mario games and Pokemon work great.

Hey thanks, it sounds like the Wiz is probably worth the extra $50 for me. I figure I might like the controls better too. Buttons closer together than usual sound great for my small hands. (No jokes please ;-)).
If anyone else has comments about the two systems fire away, I'm not placing the order until next week.

Hey Preston, I'm a new user too and I was wondering the same thing. But I decided on the Wiz because the better display (OLED screen) and the belief that it's slightly easier to use, than the newer version of Dingo with Linux.

Before making a decision, I did look at a couple videos (on youtube), as well as a few threads on this board.
Plus I'm faithful in the future development of the Wiz, especially with the possible upcoming Wireless function.

I haven't placed an order as of yet, but I am setting up the emulators and games, until I receive it.

just thought I'd mention that Sega Genesis/Megadrive/SegaCD games in particular look amazing on the OLED for some reason, in my opinion anyway.

I had never heard of open source handhelds when I first saw the Dingoo on thinkgeek.com but the description got me interested. I looked up some reviews and lost interest for 2 reasons. I don't know if these are still true, but I read that 2 of the 4 main buttons could not be pressed at the same time, and the genesis emulator was slow. After reading these, I lost interest. Later, I saw the wiz on thinkgeek.com and again looked up reviews. The reviews were all very positive. The genesis emulator especially got great reviews. The fact that it had an OLED touch screen was an added bonus. It had me convinced that this was the way to go. If I was still a broke college student I probably couldn't have afforded either, but at this point in my life the price difference is minimal.

DrPreston said:
I'm debating over either a GP2X Wiz or Dingoo A320 to tide me over until the Pandora is made generally available. I'm tired of the Pandora being "just around the corner". It was supposedly supposed to be out a year ago. Sorry, I'm ranting.

2. SNES Games. The ability to play StarFox would be nice, but it's obviously not very practical on either system right now

GBA is great on the Wiz but some stuff does have speed issues and some games don't run at all. I have heard similar on dingoo but can't verify.

SNES is great on the Wiz, although I haven't tried it on a dingoo but I heard it runs good there too. I wouldn't expect Starfox to run well on any of these though. It is unplayably slow on the Wiz SNES emu and I think the same on dingoo.

Genesis and Sega CD are pretty much perfect on the Wiz. I could only see Genesis being the same on dingoo but not better, you can't get any better.

Doom is fine on the Wiz and darker areas look better than on dingoo due to the OLED screen pure black/better contrast. Again they are probably pretty close here.

I have to add this even though you didn't ask: MAME for older arcade stuff is breathtaking on the pure black high contrast OLED screen. Stuff like Galaga, MsPac-Man, Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Robotron etc. look superb. The vector games like Tempest and Asteroids are stunning, it really does look like a mini arcade game with a CRT screen. I have played these on LCDs and it isn't even close. I would say the Wiz is worth it just for MAME.

All I can do is give some biased advantages and you can extrapolate from here. This would be the Wiz has: Twice the RAM at 64 megs vs. 32 megs, a touchscreen, a 3D GPU, OLED screen, capacity for up to 32 gb SD cards (Dingoo is at 8 GB max mini SD unless that has changed), removeable battery (dingoo battery is hardwired in). Other than that I don't know.

chickendung said:
I think star fox will be possible eventually on the Wiz, but I'm not so sure about the Dingoo. It is much weaker than the Wiz.
Doom is flawless on the Wiz apart from some minor screen tearing(which may be fixed in the future). I think the Dingoo has the same level of quality, but no tearing.
GBA games run great on the Wiz, but I do not know how good the Dingoo is. However, I cannot seem to get Warioland 4 to run anymore...Mario games and Pokemon work great.
I doubt Starfox will run well on either ever. It would take allot of programming effort to make that run well and I just don't see it happening.

According to EvilDragon (who sells them) all new Dingoos have diagonal tearing too now. I guess they felt left out as the Wiz had it and they didn't :p . Well Ok not the reason but I guess they put in a 240 x 320 LCD now so the tearing issue has become moot as they are the same there. These issues can be solved in software so it isn't a major thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
DrPreston said:

GBA is great on the Wiz but some stuff does have speed issues and some games don't run at all. I have heard similar on dingoo but can't verify.

SNES is great on the Wiz, although I haven't tried it on a dingoo but I heard it runs good there too. I wouldn't expect Starfox to run well on any of these though. It is unplayably slow on the Wiz SNES emu and I think the same on dingoo.

Genesis and Sega CD are pretty much perfect on the Wiz. I could only see Genesis being the same on dingoo but not better, you can't get any better.

Doom is fine on the Wiz and darker areas look better than on dingoo due to the OLED screen pure black/better contrast. Again they are probably pretty close here.

I have to add this even though you didn't ask: MAME for older arcade stuff is breathtaking on the pure black high contrast OLED screen. Stuff like Galaga, MsPac-Man, Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Robotron etc. look superb. The vector games like Tempest and Asteroids are stunning, it really does look like a mini arcade game with a CRT screen. I have played these on LCDs and it isn't even close. I would say the Wiz is worth it just for MAME.

All I can do is give some biased advantages and you can extrapolate from here. This would be the Wiz has: Twice the RAM at 64 megs vs. 32 megs, a touchscreen, a 3D GPU, OLED screen, capacity for up to 32 gb SD cards (Dingoo is at 8 GB max mini SD unless that has changed), removeable battery (dingoo battery is hardwired in). Other than that I don't know.

chickendung said:
I doubt Starfox will run well on either ever. It would take allot of programming effort to make that run well and I just don't see it happening.

According to EvilDragon (who sells them) all new Dingoos have diagonal tearing too now. I guess they felt left out as the Wiz had it and they didn't :p . Well Ok not the reason but I guess they put in a 240 x 320 LCD now so the tearing issue has become moot as they are the same there. These issues can be solved in software so it isn't a major thing.

People said that SNES would run on the GBA when Hell froze over, and so someone released a SNES emulator for GBA and Hell froze over.

You really don't think 3D games for SNES will EVER run on the Wiz? I will admit it is VERY slow now, but at least it runs! I for one think we will see full-speed Starfox and Pilotwings before the end of the Wiz...but I am being optimistic. ;)

i have a wiz, and my girlfriend a dingoo, so i can compare them
both are great handhelds, with similar capabilities

the dingoo has several pros:
- much cheaper
- great builtin 3D games
- the UI is very easy to handle
- supports several types of roms without installing additional emulators
- tv out
- radio

but it also has some cons:
- slower than the WIZ, slowdowns can be experienced in some cases, like GBA games (for example Crash Bandicoot underwater levels), and it can be very annoying. the default GUI doesn't support overclocking
- WIZ seems to be easier to hack

both are great consoles, for me i bet on WIZ, but if i wanted to give it as a gift, i would buy the Dingoo

WIZ has Quake ported, why would you play Doom? :D (btw, i played both of them, they run perfectly)

I came to the Wiz via the Dingoo A320.
One of the reasons was my personal growing dislike of how fiddly Dingux Locals can be.

I'll always keep and treasure my Dingoo, especially with the modifications I was able to accomplish on mine.
It's also is much better at the 8-bit emulators than Wiz is at the moment.
Native OS is drag-and-drop stable, but once I ran MAME, I was never the same. ;)

Dingoo is a fantastic piece for the money, but overall the Wiz is:

Much stronger
Better built
Uses much less expensive full size SD cards
Easier for me to make work
The OLED screen is just fantastic

which (again for me) makes the Wiz the better value of the two.

glezmen said:
WIZ has Quake ported, why would you play Doom? :D (btw, i played both of them, they run perfectly)

Originally, Doom didn't have the ability for you to look up and down, and that was taken into account when they set up the controls and stuff. I think that doom would be much easier to play without a mouse and keyboard than Quake.

Then again, I could be completely wrong. Guess I'll find out soon

You've already made up your mind but just wanted to pipe in, many Amiga games are more then playable (especially overclocked) on the wiz. I'm afraid the Dingoo doesn't have Amiga emulation yet.

The systems are pretty evenly matched when it comes to your criteria, so seeing as it's a stop-gap measure until the Pandora lands, I'd say the Dingoo would be the better option, what with it being half the price and all.

glezmen said:

I just play Doom on the SNES emulator. For as much as I play it, that's enough. `Controls are tweaked for a a controller, too.

With this logic, Quake 2 is ported to Wiz so why play any previous FPS?

I know you were joking but there is something about Doom which is timeless.

How is PS1 on the Wiz? Aren't there more buttons on a PS1 controller than the Wiz?

DrPreston said:
How is PS1 on the Wiz? Aren't there more buttons on a PS1 controller than the Wiz?
Unfortunately, yes. However, when GPH releases an accessory that will allow USB game pads to be connected to the Wiz, it should not be an issue. However, I'm sure someone will find a way to make all the PSX buttons accessible via the touch screen.

DrPreston said:
I wouldn't buy either of these for PS1 really. It is too slow with choppy sound to be really enjoyable, at least for me. These just aren't powerful enough to have fullspeed PS1. If it is PS1 that you want the PSP is better than both of these.

Back