Does Anyone Else Still Buy Videos?

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
Have you noticed how you can often buy videos at daft prices these days. 5 or even 6 for £20 etc.

Personally I think this is a great way to build up a collection of those films that you liked but don't think warrant a wopping DVD price hike.

One of my friends has gone as far as selling his Video Recorder as he never watched his videos.

I personally find Video almost as enjoyable to watch as DVD and when you are into the film you don't notice the minor difference in the picture.

In the words of Monty Python I think you should "Get them while they're hot" as they won't be about much longer.

So am I the only one, or are there others out there taking advantage of these cheap offers too?

I don't care much for quality, as long as everything looks OK, I take it. So yes, my video collection has grown quite a bit. I live directly next to a video rental shop (or whatever that is called in english... you know what I mean) and they are getting rid of all their old VHS cassettes to make room for DVDs, and they sell some old DVDs too. There are soem insane prices really - three videos for 2€ sometimes. I bought quite a lot, it's cheaper than rental and permanent....

Until fairly recently, I tended to err towards VHS too - but since I often buy films to rip/watch on the GP32, VHS makes this a tad hard. Plus I can't use my 3D specs on them, so these days I've only been buying DVDs.

In terms of noticable quality, though, I agree - VHSes look no worse (or at least, not much worse) than a DVD does.

My video recorder broke about a year ago and I haven't bothered replacing it. I've since given all my videos to my bro. The only videos I missed watching were the Star Wars trilogy which are finally out on DVD.

I don't buy videos anymore - not since about 4 years.
Using DVDs since then.

The image quality of the videos is way too low for me (have TV resolution).

I'm hoping of getting HDTV 2005 :)

I have a few videos, more than DVD.

Watching movies on a computer device is the future; you can link it to your tv and all. All I have on vid is some anime; I however have the kenshin movie and the quality is crap.... put me off videos like.

videos are unreliable, but they are cheap as hell so they cancel each other out. i honestly cant tell the difference between the quality of a video or dvd

BaDToaD posted on Dec 27 2004 at 12:25 AM said:
Cleaning tapes are crap anyway. I always open the unit up and use a cotton bud and some Isopropanol alchohol drectly on the head and rollers.
im sure my 84 year old granny can do that easy

Last edited by a moderator:
moz posted on Dec 27 2004 at 02:37 PM said:
Cleaning tapes are crap anyway. I always open the unit up and use a cotton bud and some Isopropanol alchohol drectly on the head and rollers.

Oh sorry I didn't notice the mention of your Granny in your post.

Of course being a dutiful grandson I'm sure you will go round and clean the heads for her unless she lives in outer Mongolia or somewhere. :p

BaDToaD posted on Dec 27 2004 at 07:16 PM said:
moz posted on Dec 27 2004 at 02:37 PM said:

Oh sorry I didn't notice the mention of your Granny in your post.

Of course being a dutiful grandson I'm sure you will go round and clean the heads for her unless she lives in outer Mongolia or somewhere. :p
300 miles away in yorkshire

Mosch posted on Dec 25 2004 at 08:28 PM said:
I don't care much for quality, as long as everything looks OK, I take it. So yes, my video collection has grown quite a bit. I live directly next to a video rental shop (or whatever that is called in english... you know what I mean) and they are getting rid of all their old VHS cassettes to make room for DVDs, and they sell some old DVDs too. There are soem insane prices really - three videos for 2€ sometimes. I bought quite a lot, it's cheaper than rental and permanent....
same with me

but HK DVDs are cheap too

The area where videos are better is play time. You can have a four hour video but apparently not a three and a half hour dvd? I'm assuming you can't as I had to get off my fat lazy backside and change disc halfway through each film on my Lord Of The Rings Special Extended Addition set (or is that cunning way to stop you getting deep vein thrombosis due to sitting still for so long?).

mattmagoo posted on Dec 29 2004 at 12:15 PM said:
I buy DVDs if i want extras

if not, i buy VCDs from Hink Kong come to aroung £4, and the quality is better than Video

VCD is lower in quality than Video unless you're using a really cheap or clapped out video recorder.

BaDToaD posted on Dec 29 2004 at 07:16 PM said:
mattmagoo posted on Dec 29 2004 at 12:15 PM said:
I buy DVDs if i want extras

if not, i buy VCDs from Hink Kong come to aroung £4, and the quality is better than Video

VCD is lower in quality than Video unless you're using a really cheap or clapped out video recorder.

not necessarily

the problem is that most people don't encode things properly so crap is produced, vcd can produce some very good results.

Back