Phablet/palmtop detachable?

mrpalmtop

Very Active Member
Given how laptops that are also tablets are all the rage now in the PC industry, it's kind of shocking to me that no one has tried to do this with a phablet and a keyboard accessory. I think that'd be a great "next" project for ED. Imagine the docks you could have:

• Full keyboard with battery for extended writing sessions
  • Full gaming controls with minimal keys
  • Protective sleeve with extra battery
  • Docking station
Am I wrong to think a device of this nature could have wide appeal? If you put rooted Android or vanilla Debian, this device could have a lot of potential at least imo.

People are misunderstanding what you tried to describe.  They wouldn't have commented if they hadn't already read your description.  This is the point where you reword your thoughts to try to help them better understand.

I saw something like that on a flea marked for 100 bucks. 

Guy told me he imported 1000 units from china and distribute them on flea markets.

Pretty nice actually. It was a tablet with a laptop dock + side mounted gaming controls.

Basically, I'm looking for a tiny version of the ASUS Transformer Book T90 Chi:

t90_10.jpg

It is a tablet that is very small but has a detachable keyboard that can be adjusted to any angle.

I'm envisioning a phablet-sized version 145 mm (5.781 in) H; 80 mm (3.266 in) W; 9.65 mm (0.380 in) D of this. Obviously the keyboard couldn't be as large and nice.

But the neat thing about my idea is that you could also have a gaming dock like this one (iphone sample):

iPhone-Game-Controller.png

Since the phablet and the accessory sleeves would be built for each other, they could be quite thin and light. And if you make it run regular Linux or Windows 10, it could be a really cool successor to the Pyra that actually might sell well.

Here's an image showing an iPhone with an adjustable keyboard case:

201760-p1.jpg

or Windows 10
bleh

As for the Pyra we are already running regular Linux.
The Pyra has a much more limited appeal than my idea. Look at how many Galaxy Notes there have been. Now, even Apple is getting in the act. There's no reason that a device that takes that concept and adds a keyboard/gaming control/battery option couldn't be a good thing, especially if it can run multiple OSes such as Linux, Windows, and Android.

Putting big lumpy stuff like SD card readers, radio controllers/antennas, batteries, etc in the lid  would make a clamshell device unwieldy and uncomfortable to hold.

I forgot that one other advantage of this idea is that all the real PCBs would be inside the display side which would mean that we could have more than one different keyboard layout for the unit. This would end the big dispute we're having now about keyboard layouts since there could be more than one--and the keys could be pulled off and rearranged as well.

Putting big lumpy stuff like SD card readers, radio controllers/antennas, batteries, etc in the lid  would make a clamshell device unwieldy and uncomfortable to hold.
It wouldn't be thick at all. Just imagine a smartphone with a big screen that can dock in a keyboard. There are tons of phablets that have those features and are super thin.

Then why buy the Pyra if everything you are looking for is available on other devices.
Everything I'm looking for is not available anywhere else in a single package. And please note also that I was saying about a device after Pyra. I said nothing about modifying the Pyra at all in this thread.

Do you really, honestly think that people wouldn't use a phablet with a keyboard? I'm not sure why you seem to be so negative against the idea.

People voted with their money.  If they wanted fones with keyboards those would have sold better than those without, and they would still be common.

Do you really, honestly think that people wouldn't use a phablet with a keyboard? I'm not sure why you seem to be so negative against the idea.
I'm sure some may find the concept interesting in theory. I have many reasons why I'm a bit negative about it, the big one would be that having to carry a separate keyboard and gaming attachment to me seems annoying and limiting when trying to play games or application that require both game and keyboard controls. sure it could be bundled with a Pandora/Pyra like hybrid game keyboard, but still seems inconvenient to me.

Hasn't something like this been suggested a few times before? I'm sure there are more examples of suggesting the tablet route. It's not a very novel idea :)

Last edited by a moderator:
 It wouldn't be thick at all. Just imagine a smartphone with a big screen that can dock in a keyboard. There are tons of phablets that have those features and are super thin.
Smartphones lack important features (decent sized battery, fullSD slots, fullUSB host) - but I'm not talking about thickness - I'm talking about weight.

As an example of what would happen if everything were in the lid, take a pandora, and (carefully!) hold it upside-down by the lid.

It feels all wrong.

Back