Do You Want A Linux Music Player Ported To The Gp2x?

Do you want a linux music player ported to the GP2X?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
Explain your answer. If you said yes, which one would you want?

I'm hoping this will spark interest in a better music player, that doesn't have the static and skipping problems that all the other music players have.

quadomatic said:

I'm hoping this will spark interest in a better music player, that doesn't have the static and skipping problems that all the other music players have.
Why go through the hassle of porting an application and probably a lot of libraries, when it's easier to make something from scratch that's adapted to the controls of the gp2x?

It's not like you could take for example xmms or amarok and fiddle with it until it runs.
Also, there aren't many options for the audio subsystem. It seems to me that a ported music player would still have to use the same SDL, Tremor, libflac etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
The static is because of the hardware, not the music player.

And the built in one works fine for me. Other people could use Gmu or Oldplay or Craigamp or that client/server one.

quadomatic said:

Are you offering?

quadomatic said:

Why not just attempt to fix the static and skipping problems in the other players rather than creating yet another? I'm sure the developers of the other players will be more than happy to receive your patches, should you fix anything.

Orkie said:
quadomatic said:

Are you offering?

I wish I could. I don't have much programming experience. The only language I know is Java, and I'm not too good with it either.

I just think that if we have awesome stuff like Playstation emulators, then the GP2X is capable of having a good music player that doesn't have static or skipping problems.

I think Oldplay is pretty good, but it has problems with skipping while playing music, and some music sounds very distorted when there's a lot of bass, and these are on high quality, 320 kbps rips, on many different songs.

I say we improve on oldplay instead, it has a great gui and really cool file support (ie.: NSF, SID)

it needs an update to be fully compatible with the F200 (screen won't turn off, hangs, etc)

Since the source code is available, all we need is motivated skillful people and we could have everything we wants =P

That or port XMMS, I guess... but I'd rather have a better oldplay.

Hey, i'm not around here much nowdays, pretty busy most of the times.
But really, if you found a bug please send me a bug report.
I don't know why it won't run on F200. I could make a debugversion that is very verbose, but i would need someone to send back debug messages. If someone is interested in helping with that i could look into it.

As far as the skipping and whatnot you've found, i'm fairly certain this is the GP2X's fault.I think if happens more often if you change the clockspeed, and if you use some strange samplerate.
As far as i can tell from looking into the stream of samples manually is that there is nothing wrong with them. All the samples sent to SDL_Audio should be fine, and from there on it's out of my hands.
Edit: To be sure the message was clear, porting another player wont fix this. probably.

Also, i think i corrected some playlist related bugs but i never got around to update the zip. It's about time i did that anyway.

Back