DK64 Saving Mupen64

GeBeCluck23

So, I'm not sure if I should bother creating a new topic for this, but after a bit of searching, I couldn't find anything on the topic, and I figured if anyone else has the same problem, they could come here. Anyways, simply put, I can't get Donkey Kong 64 to save in Mupen64. It appears to save fine, and it doesn't crash or anything, but then when I go to play it again later, all my data is gone. I have tried with both the American and European versions of the game, and neither of them keep their saves. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, any success in fixing it?

Permissions or write issues on the SD card or your specific save folder?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remembered we had this issue with Daedalus and my suspicions were correct.

The eeprom save type for DK64 was wrong (should be 16KB instead of 4KB)

Try this updated ini file with the updated INI file entries 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18942925/mupen64plus.ini

It goes in appdata ▸ mupen64plus2 ▸ share

Could potentially be faster now too ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you VERY MUCH! This is indeed what it was. Is the .ini that comes with Mupen64 simply not updated or what? Perhaps whoever is updating Mupen will add that in to the next update. In any case, yes, the problem is with the save type.

However, while I'm on the subject of DK64, has anyone else noticed a SUPER wonky camera while playing it? It doesn't randomly glitch or clip through walls like it used to, (as a matter of fact, it's nearly perfect!) but the camera is just awful. Quick question, out of curiosity, has anyone fixed the camera issues? Is it the plugin, perhaps? ...Or something else?

I have spoken with PtitSeb and he is going to add my fixes to his next thing.

The camera issue would be something to do with the way it's configured or maybe a microcode that's not supported, I can look into this as well..

I might start merging some stuff across from Daedalus to add more support to Mupen as nobody seems to want to do anything. Just need proper instructions for compilation.

or just start porting Daedalus.. Who knows (Beyond my scope ATM)

Yeah I will merge Wally's ini to next Muppen pnd.

About the Camera, I have seen a similar ticket openned on the muppen for android github, but it has then be closed because the behavour was in fact the same on real hardware. Are you sure @GeBeCluck23 that the Camera in Muppen is behaving differently than in a real N64?

Porting Daedalus? Probably some work on the rendering? And on the CPU part also I guess. Quite some work overall I suppose!

Thank you VERY MUCH! This is indeed what it was. Is the .ini that comes with Mupen64 simply not updated or what? Perhaps whoever is updating Mupen will add that in to the next update. In any case, yes, the problem is with the save type.

However, while I'm on the subject of DK64, has anyone else noticed a SUPER wonky camera while playing it? It doesn't randomly glitch or clip through walls like it used to, (as a matter of fact, it's nearly perfect!) but the camera is just awful. Quick question, out of curiosity, has anyone fixed the camera issues? Is it the plugin, perhaps? ...Or something else?
Yeah I think the camera was like this on hardware too... I don't have my N64 here to verify though.

Yeah I think the camera was like this on hardware too... I don't have my N64 here to verify though.
Kind of remember some odd camera position issues on the actual N64 with this game.

I can verify that the camera is indeed different than on real hardware, I recently tested it in fact to verify, and the camera is horrible on my Pandora. However I (obviously) can't verify that it is behaving the same way on anyone else's Pandora. And it's true the camera movements are strange on the original hardware, however not THIS bad! If no one else noticed it, it might just be on my game... Technically speaking, the camera isn't doing anything that it COULDN'T normally do on real hardware, it's just doing stuff that it WOULDN'T normally do. The only way I can describe it, is that it's as if someone is constantly pressing the left and right camera buttons to mess it up. However this isn't truly the case because it's only the camera, not the buttons that are messing up. Otherwise it would constantly be doing C-button actions to my characters, haha.

I can verify that the camera is indeed different than on real hardware, I recently tested it in fact to verify, and the camera is horrible on my Pandora. However I (obviously) can't verify that it is behaving the same way on anyone else's Pandora. And it's true the camera movements are strange on the original hardware, however not THIS bad! If no one else noticed it, it might just be on my game... Technically speaking, the camera isn't doing anything that it COULDN'T normally do on real hardware, it's just doing stuff that it WOULDN'T normally do. The only way I can describe it, is that it's as if someone is constantly pressing the left and right camera buttons to mess it up. However this isn't truly the case because it's only the camera, not the buttons that are messing up. Otherwise it would constantly be doing C-button actions to my characters, haha.
I don't think it's acting like that on mine. Maybe it is some "ghost" C-button pressing, with the nub?

Okay, haha...I feel stupid. Technically, what I said is true, and what you guys said is true, the camera does work...but ONLY IF YOU'RE USING THE RIGHT PLUGIN!! Yep, that's right, I was using the wrong plugin. I was using RICE 1.0 I believe, and the one that works correctly is the first plugin on the list. (GLES 2 I believe?)

Okay, haha...I feel stupid. Technically, what I said is true, and what you guys said is true, the camera does work...but ONLY IF YOU'RE USING THE RIGHT PLUGIN!! Yep, that's right, I was using the wrong plugin. I was using RICE 1.0 I believe, and the one that works correctly is the first plugin on the list. (GLES 2 I believe?)
Glad you made it works, this kind of thing is difficult to debug.

Back