Display off / Power management / Freezes issues

Gausen

Hi. I'm having some free time coming up and I thought of getting my pandora up to speed. So basically I started updating everything, OS included. To my surprise OS version 1.61 worked perfectly fine while 1.71 didn't. On 1.71 anything that involves turning off the display seems to freeze the system (black screen, backlight remain on, system unresponsive). This is happening on a 1Ghz pandora with a rebirth screen.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Did you do a full reflash or an update via package manager?

Sounds like PMIC chip got messed up. Try disconnecting power and removing battery for 10 minutes to fully reset it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like PMIC chip got messed up. Try disconnecting power and removing battery for 10 minutes to fully reset it.
Thank you for the advice Notaz, but still not working, same behavior. Will add that even though I can do a reset (pandora button + power switch) when frozen the only way of getting the system to boot again is by removing and reinserting the battery.

I have a similar problem, but not the same (for me it is suspend mode related). For me, I need to reboot twice to get it back to boot. And I use Bard (just play a file, then pause it, keep the app open) to keep some background activity, to not let it get into total sleepmode, thus it comes out of sleep mode.

You both probably have defective boards then, where some wakeup related signals are not connected between OMAP and PMIC chips.

You can try this command:

sudo devmem2 0x48307260 w 0
..which disables PMIC power saving (RET signalling).
If that helps, you can put it (without sudo) into some script in /etc/init.d/ like pandora-state or something.

@FBnil: Thanks for the heads up. Using Bard actually prevented the issue.

@Notaz: Using your command also works. It's a more elegant solution. Will follow your advice and add the command somewhere so it is executed at boot up.

How can this board be defective? It was rather expensive and produced in Germany. The issue is fixed now, lucky that there was a work around.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Back