Disgo Net Browser 3000

benjymous

Website
grapefruitopia.com
This little device can be picked up for £99 from HMV or Play - it's a fairly average Arm based palmtop, but the big killer is that it uses WinCE 5. Anyone know if we can hack it apart and put Angstrom on it instead?

http://www.mydisgo.info/archives/545
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/10823678/Disgo-Net-Browser-3000-64MB-2GB-7-Windows-CE-Netbook/Product.html

i saw one of these in hmv for the first time 2 days ago and have been looking for information on it on the net since, but havent been able to find anything! I know maplin do a minibook like this and they say its not possible to change the OS. Apparantly you cant put 3rd party programs on it too =/. What i want to know though is if this thing can really run youtube, their site says it can but i doubt it looking at the specs...

Just got one from a second hand store for 59.99 pounds.
I had no reason to buy it, just my curiosity about testing a much smaller and more underpowered handheld PC.
I thought, wow it's like a GP2X in a PC.

The truth is that it's much worse than that so far.
It's ok for internet browsing and stuff but I was wondering if with the arm I could run some nice emuls or homebrew just like in gp2x. It's very hard to find software and support, you can sometimes try WinCE compatible software and maybe it works in this device too, but everything I tried is using the GDI and it crawls. I haven't found something native to see it's true speed. Even I tried Doom and some other software, that are using some kind of emulation called GAPI. With this, a lot of stuff started running, but crawling. I think it's because I have to select emulation of the GAPI with the GDI of windows.

I am really curious to see how can I program this thing. And if I can get away from using the windows API but doing stuff natively? Fact is you can't find documentatoins because people are not very interested for this device. Already, one has a hard time trying to make existing wince software to work.

I am searching for some solutions now. How to program ON the device. Or how to install PocketDos. Hmm.. this is the most obscure thing I have ever bought.

Back