Dingoo Vs Gp2x (only For The Next 3 Months)

RobertG said:
Software wise the GP2x wins easily, however some (GBA, Snes) are better on the Dingoo.
Really? I haven't found that to be the case at all :huh:

The build quality is good, but I'm not so keen on the shoulder buttons, they're badly placed and I don't like the clickiness at all. Personal preference I guess. The D-Pad is OK, bit mushy, but it works well. The biggest problems with it for me are the crappy viewing angle (although some people disagree, maybe the quality's variable), and it doesn't have a touchscreen. Overall it just feels like a run-of-the-mill MP4 player, and while I usually like devving on new platforms, I just don't feel the urge with the Dingoo for some reason.

I'm looking forward to my Wiz arriving, but the Dingoo will do until then :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Patch said:
The viewing angle is not great, but I only notice it during the spalsh screen. I've never had the viewing angle efffect my gaming pleasure with thing.
In fairness most people will be looking at a 2.8 inch screen head-on and up close.
The screen is comparable to the ds screen quality wise apart from the viewing angle.

Having owned both, I find the build quality, weight and sturdiness better than the jxd301.
In fact the buttons are far, far superior. It even has functioning shoulder buttons!

I've mostly been playing the GBA emulator and find it huge fun and perfectly playable.
The games I've played on the snes and megadrive have been great. I realise some games don't play as well but that is the fault of the rough and ready emulation port. For now. one some devs get cracking I'm sure the quality will improve. Bear in mind the GBA and neo geo runperfectly, which are more advanced and powerhungry than snes and megadrive.

The main thing for me is that it fits in my pocket easily and doesn't get scratched up. It's a real pleasure to carry it around without feling the weight of it. I've owned most portable consoles but this is the first one which actually stays in my pocket at all times for quick sessions.

Also the battery life is amazing. About 7 hours I'd say.
I also own a JXD301, gp2x f-100 and a dingoo (amongst others). I'd have to say this is the most accurate and unbiased post in the thread so far, although I don't know about GBA and neogeo running perfectly, it does do this quite well. The system runs CPS-1 games very well, and these are what I enjoy playing the most.

It's great for playing on the bus or the train, and when it's time to get off I just switch it onto the radio and pop it in my pocket. It's a very sturdy, light system with nice controls. I do not understand the argument that light = feeble in terms of handhelds, to me the lighter the better, as long as its designed to be strong.

I also don't see the fascination with this handheld, it emulates gba perfectly so I hear but I have a gb micro which lets me push two buttons at once, and a supercard for that, I've looked into the dingoo a few times convinced I'm missing something by the way people are raving over it on these boards but I don't think I have, And who was it who mentioned the icontrol pad, I'm still waiting too!

Alright, well, I received my dingoo today because the stupid supplier did NOT cancel my order (oh great, now I'm stuck with two) and whats the hype. its pretty much another mp4 player.

'PoisonedV' said:
Alright, well, I received my dingoo today because the stupid supplier did NOT cancel my order (oh great, now I'm stuck with two) and whats the hype. its pretty much another mp4 player.
So game emulation is quite common among pmp.

n00body said:
'PoisonedV' said:
So game emulation is quite common among pmp.
Cheapish Chinese ones, yeah.

'PoisonedV' said:
The hype is:
1. It's cheap. At $85 the potential market for these things is huge. With enough support this thing could grow the market for open devices in general.
2. It has actual game controls. MP4 player's with emulators have traditionally been designed as MP4 players first and foremost. This device was designed for gaming.
3. There is an SDK available. An overclocking application is already available and a very early homebrew PCE emulator has been released. The author of that emulator has also worked on porting Neogeo Pocket and NES.
4. The manufacturer is actually talking with the community. They are a games based company who have origins in the cell phone market.

It seems like some people feel threatened by the Dingoo, but there is really no reason for it. The Wiz already has a large amount of developer support and the emulators are very polished. Most members of the GP32x community will most likely buy a Wiz or Pandora. If you read the forums at all, you'll notice that the number of people purchasing Dingoo's here isn't really that big. What the Dingoo has the potential to do is grow the market due to it's low entry price. I think most of the people who buy this device are going to be first time purchasers of emulation driven hardware, and if enough get sold this could grow the potential market for both Open Pandora and the GPH greatly.

I know I'm a new addition to this community because of this device. If Dingoo bites the dust, where do you think I'm going to go next? A larger market is a good thing for the community.

Stop taking offense. I'm not "threatened" by dingoo because its unremarkable. If i was threatened I wouldn't have ordered one (well, two, although im giving the white one to my friend)
the price i dont see as that amazing, though i will bite for sdk and partially for the game controls, although i had troubles with the buttons (the dpad was fine) as for the manfucaturer talking with the community, well ill see how that turns out. gph has been trying to do it and ending up just making themselves look worse (although that seems to be cleared up now)

You all might know - is the Dingoo A320 related to the Gemei X760+? I read that they use the same software, and have very similar specs. Anybody used both or compared them side-by-side?

chad78 said:
is the Dingoo A320 related to the Gemei X760+? I read that they use the same software, and have very similar specs. Anybody used both or compared them side-by-side?
They're definitely not identical, though they do appear to be binary-compatible. The x760+ has a larger display and the whole device (and therefore, board) is significantly larger. I can't find exact specs on the x760+, but I've also seen some posts like this one ( dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2009/04/yi-chi-king-fighter-great-little-native.html ) that indicate x760+ apps will run on the A320, so the chips must be very similar if not identical.

So does anyone want to swap their "it's crap", "just another mp4 player" Dingoo for an almost new Orkie-approved JXD 301?

'quartercast' said:
So does anyone want to swap their "it's crap", "just another mp4 player" Dingoo for an almost new Orkie-approved JXD 301?
What size internal memory is the 301? Includes box and accessories still?

jp1 said:
What size internal memory is the 301? Includes box and accessories still?
It's a black 301 with 2GB internal memory. Should still have the accessories, box... probably threw that out.

'fishybawb' said:
'RobertG' said:
Software wise the GP2x wins easily, however some (GBA, Snes) are better on the Dingoo.

Really? I haven't found that to be the case at all :huh:
You find GBA and Snes are better on the GP2x? Weird. Maybe I need to update then. To be fair I haven't tried Snes on GP2x in sometime. Always found it to be a huge waste of time - sloooow, bad sound, no transparencies (8 bit colour), having to disable layers, etc. Snes on the Dingoo seems to be about the same speed as it is on PSP but with worse sound. (in some cases much worse, music is often the wrong speed)

I find it odd that people are arguing that the Dingoo is "just another mp4 player" when from a hardware / controls point of view it's a more capable gaming device than the GP2x. Does being from China make something an "mp4 player" whilst being from Korea would make it a gaming device?

By the way people are acting around here you'd think that they have shares in GPH or something. I don't understand it at all, it's not as though GPH have ever done anything to earn anyone's loyalty. The Dingoo is pretty much a (much) cheaper Wiz with no touchscreen (yeah, so what), far better battery life and if past GPH form is anything to go by, better controls and people are saying it's "just another MP4 player"..? For all the sense that makes you might as well say that it's "just another Batman comic".

Anyway I have no particular love for the Dingoo. It's far from perfect and in some cases (Megadrive, higher end Neogeo games that GP2x can handle fine) far from usable. It does have a lot of potential though (seems that it's as powerful / more powerful than the GP2x and Wiz), it's dirt cheap and it's here right now.. so why not?

RobertG said:
It does have a lot of potential though (seems that it's as powerful / more powerful than the GP2x and Wiz), it's dirt cheap and it's here right now.. so why not?

Interesting point you have there. More detail, please (as well as where you got the idea from).

Apart from good gba emulation what else can it do? I'm seriously cosidering getting one but good genesis and snes would be a bonus, are there pc engine, master system and gameboy emu's available? Any info would be great. Also does the new black model still have the one button at a time problem and what are the 3d games available for it? Cheers

'pandora' said:
'RobertG' said:
It does have a lot of potential though (seems that it's as powerful / more powerful than the GP2x and Wiz), it's dirt cheap and it's here right now.. so why not?

Interesting point you have there. More detail, please (as well as where you got the idea from).
http://www.gbax.com/a320.html - says "It can be thought of as a faster, smaller GP2X" that could include the Wiz too as it looks like it's not much more powerful than the GP2x, if at all. There's nothing concrete like benchmarks though.

RobertG said:
'pandora' said:
'RobertG' said:

http://www.gbax.com/a320.html - says "It can be thought of as a faster, smaller GP2X" that could include the Wiz too as it looks like it's not much more powerful than the GP2x, if at all. There's nothing concrete like benchmarks though.
I think you're jumping to conclusions. it could just be the current software being totally unoptimized, but its not very fast at all

Back