Dingoo Vs Gp2x (only For The Next 3 Months)

Miknal

So, as far as I can tell the dingoo is more powerful than the GP2X, but not as well optimised, so it doesn't play snes and megadrive to the same level.

Well, assuming a lot of the people on this forum will be getting a pandora in a few months, both become redundant. And most appear to be buying the dingoo as a stop gap.

But as second hand GP2X's cost about the same as a dingoo (check ebay), is there any point in buying a dingoo, when it will have only overtaken the GP2X when we are all in pandora land?

*Disclaimer* I may be wrong on one or many things, as I don't know a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
To throw another option out there, have you thought about getting a PSP? (with custom firmware of course)
It plays emulators, has plenty of homebrew, and I think (but not quite sure) there are even some commercial games!

I wouldn't worry about the Pandora making either of these systems obsolete, people are still going to be developing for them, and I imagine some of the less power-hungry games might get ported.

In many situations the Dingoo is more convenient to use than the Gp2x.
The Dingoo is a solid media player with built in battery that lasts a long time.
The Dingoo has a functional Dpad.
The Dingoo has a small(er) form-factor.

The Pandora costs more than the Dingoo.

If the Dingoo got some proper emulator/software support it would hold its own against the Gp2x and the Pandora.

Or if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, jailbreak it. And hope craig gets his bloody iControlPad out the door before pandora comes along. Jeezus.

gp2xs said:
In many situations the Dingoo is more convenient to use than the Gp2x.
The Dingoo is a solid media player with built in battery that lasts a long time.
The Dingoo has a functional Dpad.

The Pandora costs more than the Dingoo.

If the Dingoo got some proper emulator/software support it would hold its own against the Gp2x and the Pandora.

hows this thread related to the pandora.
anyway i would probably get a gp2x if you want established software base. dingoo is pretty lacking at the moment and wont be rectified for a while i dont think

hows this thread related to the pandora?

Miknal is wondering why bother with the Dingoo when the Gp2x is here and the Pandora is coming.

Even with its lofty specs the Pandora is not the everything killer.

Units like the Dingoo are capable systems that, given better software, could survive in Pandora land.

The smaller size and lower cost are two potential reasons for this.

To me it looks like the Wiz is what might be replaced by the Dingoo.

The Dingoo is a REALLY nice machine and dingoo want to do whatever it takes to please the scene.

I'm going to get a video review done soon for gbax.

Personally having used one and a Wiz I found the built in stuff to be utter shit. It also felt ridiculously light and as if I could snap it like a twig if I weren't careful. The screen also had an appalling viewing angle.

On the other hand, I didn't use it for a particularly long time.

Not that I expect anybody cares what I think, but I agree. The only way I can see all these people thinking this thing is actually good (as opposed to 'alright.. I guess') is that they have never owned anything like it before and are just basing their comparison on complaints of other MP4 players they have seen online. The build quality on this thing is nothing compared to the 301, and the screen is pretty horrendous compared to what you see even on £30 mobile phones these days - I would say similar quality to a front-lit GBA SP only with a worse viewing angle.

The built in stuff is pretty bad and seems to suffer very noticeable slowdown when even playing that 'Squirrel Bobble' game through the GBA emulator which makes me question how powerful this thing is at all (or maybe whoever wrote that game did so specifically to try and debug gpSP) :S. The 3D games don't really demonstrate much either, the drifting racing game looks worse than Ridge Racer written in Java on my phone.

With that said, if anybody wants to buy mine (barely used!) they are most welcome - I have no need for yet another portable video player and it isn't even up to the level of the MK1 GP2X for games in my opinion (besides the d-pad maybe).

Orkie said:
The build quality on this thing is nothing compared to the 301
Ever consider a career as a comedian?

I'm finding it completely stupid how this community is ready to replace the Wiz with some mp4 player when no one (apart from devs) has actually used a Wiz yet.
You're comparing them on specs alone, which is again stupid beacuse the Wiz comes out top.
The people who have owned and used both machines (both respected members of this community) are describing the 'dingoo' as what it is - a cheap mp4 player, and the Wiz as a well built and reliable piece of kit.

Take their word for it, or wait untill you have used both before you make your own judgement. Ta.

The WIZ's victory will depend on if the developers can successfully include GPH's screen tearing workaround without any noticeable performance hit. Otherwise its unlikely to sell well at least in a community like this with a big demand for emulators.

The viewing angle is not great, but I only notice it during the spalsh screen. I've never had the viewing angle efffect my gaming pleasure with thing.
In fairness most people will be looking at a 2.8 inch screen head-on and up close.
The screen is comparable to the ds screen quality wise apart from the viewing angle.

Having owned both, I find the build quality, weight and sturdiness better than the jxd301.
In fact the buttons are far, far superior. It even has functioning shoulder buttons!

I've mostly been playing the GBA emulator and find it huge fun and perfectly playable.
The games I've played on the snes and megadrive have been great. I realise some games don't play as well but that is the fault of the rough and ready emulation port. For now. one some devs get cracking I'm sure the quality will improve. Bear in mind the GBA and neo geo runperfectly, which are more advanced and powerhungry than snes and megadrive.

The main thing for me is that it fits in my pocket easily and doesn't get scratched up. It's a real pleasure to carry it around without feling the weight of it. I've owned most portable consoles but this is the first one which actually stays in my pocket at all times for quick sessions.

Also the battery life is amazing. About 7 hours I'd say.

And it can play a LOT of media files, and the TV-out is pretty good to view movies or play games on a big screen. All this for under 100 $.

'Patch' said:
The viewing angle is not great, but I only notice it during the spalsh screen. I've never had the viewing angle efffect my gaming pleasure with thing.
Are you sure you're not looking at the gradient in the splash screen from white to dark grey? If you put in a uniform grey image you'll notice that head on there really isn't any viewing angle problem. If you play holding it angled to the right or left you'll notice it easily though. I think the screen might be made in a 240*320 manufacturing process because if you notice on most LCD's the right and left have decent viewing angles, but if you look at it from the top it gets lighter and if you look at it from the bottom it gets darker. I'm thinking the left side of the screen of the dingoo is really the top of the lcd and the right side is the bottom. Viewing angles aside, the LCD screen is very good.

I think I half agree with the build quality problems. I can't fully agree because I'm not going to test the strength of the plastic and risk breaking my unit, but the plastic in the back does feel kind of cheap. For all I know it's just a different plastic than I'm accustomed to though.

I thought the comparison with the 3D games and cell phone games was pretty hilarious considering these games are cell phone games. Also, it's kind of dumb to doubt the handhelds power based on it's performance emulating a homebrew game. Especially considering the fact that people with more technical knowledge have confirmed that it has a pretty good CPU.

n00body said:
And it can play a LOT of media files, and the TV-out is pretty good to view movies or play games on a big screen. All this for under 100 $.
Yeah, I definitely had some flashbacks to may youth when I played Super Mario Bros. on my TV.

'Orkie' said:
You do a lot of drugs pal? Did a Dingoo eat your baby? ;)

To answer the original question - "Dingoo Vs Gp2x (only For The Next 3 Months)" I'd say go with the Dingoo. If it's just a 3 month stop-gap deal then there's really no contest.

Software wise the GP2x wins easily, however some (GBA, Snes) are better on the Dingoo. The Dingoo doesn't have emulators for a lot of systems that the GP2x has (but people are working on it, apparently) and the Dingoos Megadrive emulator is absolute crap. DIRE. Even DrMD on the GP32 (not saying DrMD is bad, just that it's an old emulator running on an old, weak system) craps all over the Dingoos Megadrive emu.

The things that win it for the Dingoo, for me, is that the Dingoo is actually useable as a gaming device for non-masochists (unlike the GP2x it has controls suitable for gaming), is dirt cheap, comparable/better build quality (come on! the GP2x is a light, cheap, hollow, flimsy feeling thing too!!), far superior battery life, and the emulators are "good enough". Most games run fine and the ones it can't (KoF series is slooooow with sound) aren't playable on the GP2x anyway due to the controls. If Megadrive is important to you then consider a second hand GP32 or a PSP.

I haven't noticed any problems with the screen. Seems better than the ones on my original DS, far better than the one on my original PSP, better than GP2x MKII. I don't really understand the complaints but maybe other people are more sensitive to the apparent problems it has?

Build quality is fine in my opinion. It feels very light, which might be a plus to some people but I find a bit of weight to be reassuring. I guess SoCs are getting smaller and lighter though so what can they do? Put weights in the case?

My main problem with it is that the controls are a little too close to the top edge of the system which makes using the shoulder buttons a bit uncomfortable. This is made worse by the fact that the shoulder buttons are tiny, clicky things. It would be much better if the controls were centered vertically or even a little to the bottom of the system. This may just be personal preference and will depend on how you hold it, how big your hands are, etc. The D-PAD action feels a little soft to me but is still light years ahead of the crap on the GP2x.

If you think that you might end up using it long term then maybe consider a GP2x. As previously stated the software support is much better and it's much more likely to get continued support. Although the controls are garbage maybe you'd learn to love them?

'RobertG' said:
You do a lot of drugs pal? Did a Dingoo eat your baby? ;)
No, I just think it is crap, or at best nowhere near as good as all the people raving about it seem to think. This isn't just irrational raving, I was very positive and looking forward to the Dingoo, right up until it arrived.

Can you hook few usb gamepads and play on dingoo the 2-4 player games... I guess that not.

Back