Did my battery or charge circuit die?

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Last night, before I went to bed I put my Pandora in the charger, the battery was still at 85% but I put it in anyway.
This morning when I wanted to grab my Pandora and go to work, I noticed that the charger LED was blinking at irregular intervals. Of course I opened it up and checked the battery status and it read 35% left so I reseated the barrel jack and rebooted the unit but it still wasn't charging continuously , just blinking and the battery applet tool tip said: AC Off-Line.
I figured my charger must have broken over night so I tried the one I have next to my bed, but that one did the same... I doubt both died at the same time, especially when only one was in use.

Did the battery die on me? Or did the charger circuit? Does anyone recognize this behaviour?
I did notice my battery is bulging somewhat so maybe thats the culprit. I went looking to buy a new one but noticed there's cheap and expensive ones in Ed's shop. Would the expensive battery be better?

Also Ed, just UPS for shipping? 18 euro is quite expensive for shipping a 9 or 28 euro battery to the Netherlands... :(

Unfortunately no other carriers will take lithium batteries, so you're limited to UPS (or going to ED and picking it up yourself).

The batteries differ by when they were made, and how long they've been in storage. The cheaper battery has been sitting in various warehouses (I guess) for up to 7 years, but should still be better than your bulging one I suspect.

I don't know what's up with your Pandora though. You haven't pulled the battery out and reinserted it ever while it was on charge have you? You could try running the system info PND to get more information about what the battery is actually doing.

Last night, before I went to bed I put my Pandora in the charger, the battery was still at 85% but I put it in anyway.
This morning when I wanted to grab my Pandora and go to work, I noticed that the charger LED was blinking at irregular intervals. Of course I opened it up and checked the battery status and it read 35% left so I reseated the barrel jack and rebooted the unit but it still wasn't charging continuously , just blinking and the battery applet tool tip said: AC Off-Line.
I figured my charger must have broken over night so I tried the one I have next to my bed, but that one did the same... I doubt both died at the same time, especially when only one was in use.

Did the battery die on me? Or did the charger circuit? Does anyone recognize this behaviour?
I did notice my battery is bulging somewhat so maybe thats the culprit. I went looking to buy a new one but noticed there's cheap and expensive ones in Ed's shop. Would the expensive battery be better?

Also Ed, just UPS for shipping? 18 euro is quite expensive for shipping a 9 or 28 euro battery to the Netherlands... :(
You Could try Charging it via USB

You Could try Charging it via USB
I did, on USB the charging led goes briefly on when I plug it in but after that it stays off.

My Pandora does power up on the barrel jack, with or without battery, it just doesn't seem to charge normally.. like the current is just about/not sufficient or something...
Anyway, I ordered a new battery today, hope that was what was wrong.

And what does the System info PND tell you? It displays detailed current information for the charger and Battery.

It seems to be charging again, I had removed the battery and re-seated it for the 3rd time but now it seems to work. My guess is that the bulging of the battery made the connection somewhat unstable. Glad I ordered a new battery anyway. The case is under some strain from the battery and is cracking on some spots.

Happy it's just the battery

Back