Devs And Ports

zohnnyg

i got a few questions but in one thread cause i didnt want to make a bunch of new threads

is anyone working on a game & watch emulator? ive seen a rom set for it. i dont see it on the list at projects under development. has anyone ever made one for all those old tiger handhelds? im not sure if you can even get tiger roms.

without the source code is it downright impossible to emulate or port diablo and diablo 2?

can DAPHNE run on pandora? if so does anyone have contact with the devs from DAPHNE for a port?

does anyone have contact with the dev for gamemaker at yoyo games? that would be a cool port.

does anyone have contact with the devs at visual pinball and pinmame? way cool port that would be. also even future pinball would be cool too.

anyone have contact with the devs at zeldaclassic? that would be another great port.

zohnnyg said:
i got a few questions but in one thread cause i didnt want to make a bunch of new threads

is anyone working on a game & watch emulator? ive seen a rom set for it. i dont see it on the list at projects under development. has anyone ever made one for all those old tiger handhelds? im not sure if you can even get tiger roms.

Would you really want to play game & watch games on the Pandora? Even if you did, there are probably remakes somewhere. Are there even game & watch emulators for the PC?

without the source code is it downright impossible to emulate or port diablo and diablo 2?

Is it downright impossible? Probably not. It's difficult enough that nobody would EVER try it though. You can't emulate a specific game, emulation doesn't work that way. In theory, someone could do a rewrite of the Diablo/Diablo 2 engines, but it would be so time consuming it wouldn't be anywhere near worth it.

tl;dr: Yeah, it's impossible.

can DAPHNE run on pandora? if so does anyone have contact with the devs from DAPHNE for a port?

does anyone have contact with the dev for gamemaker at yoyo games? that would be a cool port.

does anyone have contact with the devs at visual pinball and pinmame? way cool port that would be. also even future pinball would be cool too.

anyone have contact with the devs at zeldaclassic? that would be another great port.

At this point, we shouldn't be asking people to port games. Let's get the Pandora out the door first, then we'll request ports when the team can send out development units to people and there are users who would actually be able to play the ported games. There's no reason to request ports now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about any of that, but I recently grabbed the latest source for Wargus and Stargus. Would be nice to get Warcraft II and Starcraft working down the line.

Xian Long said:
where the hell did that port request thread go

Ya know, it's this very reason I suggested to someone in particular about pinning that very thread (at least the Wiki thread, now that I've found that buried deep within the mass orgy of forum posts)
Seeing too many of these port request posts, either in this section loosely, or in the other (dev) subforum. There is a dedicated thread. It /should/ be pinned.

Vorporeal said:
zohnnyg said:

Would you really want to play game & watch games on the Pandora? Even if you did, there are probably remakes somewhere. Are there even game & watch emulators for the PC?

Is it downright impossible? Probably not. It's difficult enough that nobody would EVER try it though. You can't emulate a specific game, emulation doesn't work that way. In theory, someone could do a rewrite of the Diablo/Diablo 2 engines, but it would be so time consuming it wouldn't be anywhere near worth it.

tl;dr: Yeah, it's impossible.

At this point, we shouldn't be asking people to port games. Let's get the Pandora out the door first, then we'll request ports when the team can send out development units to people and there are users who would actually be able to play the ported games. There's no reason to request ports now.

ok:)

zevdawg said:
Xian Long said:
where the hell did that port request thread go

Ya know, it's this very reason I suggested to someone in particular about pinning that very thread (at least the Wiki thread, now that I've found that buried deep within the mass orgy of forum posts)
Seeing too many of these port request posts, either in this section loosely, or in the other (dev) subforum. There is a dedicated thread. It /should/ be pinned.

good idea

The port request thread is linked in the Information Index, which is pinned, and exists so that we don't have the whole first page filled with nothing but pinned threads.

No point in pinning the thread about the request page on the wiki. If you want to request something on the wiki, do it on the wiki itself. That's why we use a wiki.

I dunno about any of that, but I recently portedgrabbed the latest source for Wargus and Stargus. Would be nice to get Warcraft II and Starcraft working down the line.
I'm pretty sure Cpasjuste already ported the stratagus engine, it was a fairly simple recompile.

Adventus said:
I'm pretty sure Cpasjuste already ported the stratagus engine, it was a fairly simple recompile.

This pleases me. I guess I'll start extracting the data from the original CDs.

Vorporeal said:
Isn't Stratagus missing support for, like, half of Starcraft?

I believe so, good sir.

darien said:
Vorporeal said:
Isn't Stratagus missing support for, like, half of Starcraft?

I believe so, good sir.
Really? That sucks. I can't find much information on it anymore. Before Blizzard got mad they had pics of custom sprites and such. Someone modded Terran to Men in Black. Maybe that was Wargus, it was one of them. I didn't see why Blizzard had a problem, it wasn't even compatible with Battle.net.

second exodous said:
Really? That sucks. I can't find much information on it anymore. Before Blizzard got mad they had pics of custom sprites and such. Someone modded Terran to Men in Black. Maybe that was Wargus, it was one of them. I didn't see why Blizzard had a problem, it wasn't even compatible with Battle.net.

Probably coz they're still supporting it and selling it on their site. You can now buy those games and install them from anywhere using the unified battlenet account and web installers they're pushing. Doesn't really help me though considering I own the pre-battlenet versions.

darien said:
second exodous said:

Probably coz they're still supporting it and selling it on their site. You can now buy those games and install them from anywhere using the unified battlenet account and web installers they're pushing. Doesn't really help me though considering I own the pre-battlenet versions.
I thought the main point of the Stargus engine was to play the games on OSs/systems Blizzard didn't support, like Linux and now handhelds. On top of that you need a copy of their game to use Stargus anyway.

Yeah, who knows. I'm pretty upset they shut down StarLite for the DS as well, but I guess in that case, they were infringing on the assets as well. Blizzard probably just has bored legal people.

darien said:
Yeah, who knows. I'm pretty upset they shut down StarLite for the DS as well, but I guess in that case, they were infringing on the assets as well. Blizzard probably just has bored legal people.
Story of every company with deep pockets. I've never heard of StarLite, I'm googling now.

EDIT: Douchebag video of StarLite

No idea this existed, but that comes with Star Craft files doesn't it? That is copy write infringement.

zohnnyg said:
Yes. It relies very heavily on Windows libraries right now, so no, there will be no port any time soon. And he's not interested in open sourcing the code, either.
The next version, or the version after that I think, he's planning to transition onto more cross platform libraries, but that won't be for some time, unfortunately.

should I point out Diablo came out for PlayStation and we have a PlayStation emulator?

Adventus said:
I dunno about any of that, but I recently portedgrabbed the latest source for Wargus and Stargus. Would be nice to get Warcraft II and Starcraft working down the line.

nice! (we need some more software-dev-vids)
but don´t forget the gemRB engine! :(
you were even allowed to go on "dev-pension" if you want, after you´ll have ported this engine to pandora.
but please let the most important game series: baldurs gate come true on pandora :)
let us when you´ve got news for us.
thx a lot in advance for all your work!

Back