Devil 64 Newest News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the old thread, I missed it for some reason http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53501-hype-maybe-fake/

Last edited by a moderator:
F3LIX said:
He's working together with another guy, who also helped him developing the old version of the emulator.

His English may not be good (mine isn't too), but all your reactions here are childish and just stupid. This emulator is definitely not just a fake. He explains the emulator very good in the german forum, and nobody thinks it's a fake there. But well, it will only be released for the German community, so you don't have to care about it anymore.

People who understand what emulating N64 (or indeed anything) means strongly doubt these claims. When Ari64 in particular (who is generally pretty willing to give benefit of the doubt) has no faith in it then you should at least begin to question your own. Or perhaps do you believe that the people in the German forum are more technically adept with emulation than us? If you're so sure that it isn't a fake and we're wrong to believe so then would you care to offer any kind of technical argument that both supports the legitimacy of the emulator and refutes our claims against it?

I find it interesting that you're willing to call our objective skepticism childish and stupid, but withhold such criticism for a decision to "only release it to the German forums" (which is beyond ridiculous, if his claims were real it wouldn't take all of half a second for someone to post the emulator here and on the archive, so he clearly wouldn't be accomplishing anything). This thread title is "Devil 64 Newest News" but isn't it really just a heated proclamation against the disbelievers?

I still believe that CrazyRetro is being taken in by this third party developer, similarly to how all of his supporters are being taken in by him. If it's not that, then the other person doesn't exist and is merely an obfuscation tactic to allow CrazyRetro to claim ignorance when people start asking difficult technical questions.

I've seen some dozens of emulator hoaxes over the years, and the behavior here is extremely typical and mundane. Here are some of the things I've seen before:

- Alleged emulator author starts claiming that all of his doubters can't program. I once got repeatedly told off on GameFAQs by someone claiming to have done a Saturn emulator for PSP. He actually called me a fake Exophase. The goal of this tactic is to cast doubt on the technical credentials of those claiming fraud, and therefore deflect their technical arguments.
- Claim to be doing the emulator without an OS. There's a prevalent naive belief that operating systems like Linux are preventing programs from achieving their true performance potential, and the hoaxing individual either beliefs this himself or is leveraging the belief others have. Eg: http://forums.ngemu.com/emulation-news-submissions/67707-emuos-emulation-os.html
- When people call BS respond saying that thanks to their lack of support you now won't be releasing it entirely. Psychologically speaking, someone legitimate would be much more motivated to release, substantiate their claims/prove everyone wrong, and rub it everyone's face. This is just an exit strategy.

Also, man, is it bad that I find RobertG's parody posts much more intelligible than CrazyRetro's?

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
Looks like it'll take until August/October to be released, and it does Ocarina of Time at 27 - 33 FPS. He's also run it on the Wiz, and expects that EvilDragon will do so similarly. It won't however run on an F100, F200, Gp32 or Dingoo.

http://forum.gp2x.de...evil+64&start=0

Here's a link to the forum topic, I'll translate some stuff if needed. Looks like there were videos but they got removed by user.

Ich bleibe skeptisch, aber noch seltsam interessiert.

Wow, okay, so let's look at this screenshot:

http://i.imagehost.org/view/0660/grafikmenu2

The options are:

"frame buffer" < uh wut
"display shadow" < I'm not aware of N64 having any kind of discrete shadowing mechanism like say, NDS (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't know how an emulator would be able to detect shadowing in the first place, and what would be gained from disabling it.
"disable fog" < Somewhat more reasonable, but if it's using OGL then I don't see the point.
"force aspect ratio" < On a 320x240 display with most games being 320x240? Enh okay, feels more at home on PSP and just stolen from there..
"devil open gl v1.0 plugin" < Is this settings for the plugin or a plugin selection?
"change palette" < N64 emulated graphical output would not be paletted - you could force it to 8bpp but on Wiz you'd gain almost nothing, and it's clear from the screenshots this isn't happening. So this option is just rubbish.
"set layer mode" < Yeah whatever, I can't think of any reasonable thing this could possibly mean.

With this menu I'm starting to feel like this is less of a deliberate hoax and more of a joke.

Looks like it'll take until August/October to be released, and it does Ocarina of Time at 27 - 33 FPS.
Wow, it runs OoT faster than a real N64. Amazing!

Exophase said:
I find it interesting that you're willing to call our objective skepticism childish and stupid, but withhold such criticism for a decision to "only release it to the German forums" (which is beyond ridiculous, if his claims were real it wouldn't take all of half a second for someone to post the emulator here and on the archive, so he clearly wouldn't be accomplishing anything). This thread title is
Just to make things clear, I don't think his decision to only release it to the german community is right. I think it's far to extreme, and yes, you're right that it would probably not take long to be in the archive. I never said, I would support this position.
I admit, that I don't understand much about emulators. However, he will soon begin Alphatests. Then, for example ED can tell you if it's real or not, because he is also one of the Alphatesters.

Ari64 said:
Looks like it'll take until August/October to be released, and it does Ocarina of Time at 27 - 33 FPS.
Wow, it runs OoT faster than a real N64. Amazing!

I was just about to post that ;)

381630_IWantToBelieve.jpg

... but Exo's crushing it again. Damn you Exo, nothing good ever comes from you!

CrazyRetro, I will make a deal with you:

If/When the binary for Wiz Devil64 comes out and runs as fast as the video/pictures showed, I will donate $20USD to your Paypal account. I know that it is not much, but seeing as how you have been receiving backlash from this community (which you may or may not deserve based on the truth of this program), if indeed you are producing such a product, I personally wanted to thank you for making it.

However, no binary, no money. Plain and simple.

I'll give $1000 if this is real (100% as advertised, no super slow port accepted, I reserve the right to call bullshit bullshit)

And I don't even care about emulating N64 on Wiz.

Damn... Nobody offered me $2140 for porting Mupen64plus!

Ari64 said:

Guess you should have made it an obvious fake.

Ari64 said:

when my pandora arrives and mario 64 + oot is reasonable speed then ill buy you a beer/a few bucks ;P
just make sure you got a donation link.

How the hell it runs Ocarina of time Faster than real hardware? OoT runs @20fps.
Does not make sense.

Question: If any of these emus are really released like promised by some sort of miracle (or not, with a name like Devil 64, that guy could probably have sold his soul to make it feasible) in the german foruns, or the jamaican foruns or whatever (I'm having real problems reading that kind of broken english...) what would stop someone from both forums (jamaican/german and this one) to download it and then leak it so everyone can use?

Yeah, he said one must login in to be able to download from the foruns (and have proof that is from german or jamaican origin... how the hell would one do that? Why I'm still even considering this to be real???) but what would stop anyone from using any kind of emu once is downloaded and copied for everyone? Or to fake an account to log into this foruns and download whatever he/she wants? See what I mean?

Oh, and Gruso? LOVED the Superman 64/fog joke, I was going to say that with that FPS The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3-day time would be shortened to only 3 hours to save Termina, but yours was better =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back