Devicescape Wifi

AdonusX

Still Fresh
Devicescape is the leading provider of advanced Wi-Fi software solutions that makes mobile devices easy to set up, easy to use, and effortlessly connect to any Wi-Fi network. Unlike other vendors that have limited experience and an incomplete product that is complex to integrate, Devicescape’s Easy Wi-Fi contains a comprehensive set of features that are easy to integrate and backed by a world-class team of embedded software engineers and support staff.

The best part about Devicescape’s Easy Wi-Fi product is that it is specifically designed for mobile handsets, personal computers and other service-enabled portable devices.

http://www.devicescape.com/learn/download

if someone with the right level of knowledge could chime in on this topic and generally shed some light on whether this software is able to be ported to the pandora, it would be of GREAT help as I think this is worth the time and effort to figure out, I just seem to be missing some fine print in order to figure this out myself...

Sounds like sales/marketing speak... no specifics on how it is better than the alternatives, just some vague claims. Definitely nothing of substance in the post; nothing etched out even closely enough to compare it's merits with other solutions.

Mithrildor posted on May 17 2009 at 03:56 AM said:
Doesnt seem to be open-source.
Also, what he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the Pandora's WiFi set up is going to be exactly difficult...

Pleng posted on May 17 2009 at 01:13 PM said:
I don't think the Pandora's WiFi set up is going to be exactly difficult...
Dito, NetworkManager is pretty easy to use.
If that's what we're getting, of course.

The advantage of this system is it's like OpenID - you enter your password once and you have access to all the networks you've accessed with any device.

Or, that's it's disadvantage. Now, a hacker has an easier job of getting all your network passwords.

There's a version avaialble for the Nokia tablets. Or at least there used to be. As far as I understand the way it works is that it "saves" you from going through a log-in page on those networks where you have to first start a browser, hit anything, end up at a log-in page with user and password. AFAIU Devicescape intercepts that part and handles it for you. So, for some, it could be useful. For the kind of networks I use it isn't really.

truekaiser posted on May 18 2009 at 07:09 PM said:
no need. 'man iwconfig'. everything else is just a front end to this.
Oh really?
Thought that NetworkManager used some kind of direct driver access...

javaJake posted on May 17 2009 at 09:12 PM said:
Or, that's it's disadvantage. Now, a hacker has an easier job of getting all your network passwords.
Please, say 'cracker' if that's what you mean ;)
I don't think that a legitimate hacker would be stealing all your passwords.

dflemstr posted on May 18 2009 at 12:23 PM said:
truekaiser posted on May 18 2009 at 07:09 PM said:
no need. 'man iwconfig'. everything else is just a front end to this.
Oh really?
Thought that NetworkManager used some kind of direct driver access...
such practices from what i understand is strongly discouraged in *nix programing unlike in windows. iwconfig handles all the commands related to wireless interfaces while ifconfig is mostly used for wired. besides do you really want a gui program like that crashing and taking down the wireless sub system if not the kernel it's self?

One of the things you guys are missing (pretty sure it is mentioned on the site) is that you also get instant access to airports, municipal buildings and schools/colleges that sign up with devicescape... also, you don't pay (with money) for anything. The software is free, the service is free, you connect free. It's especially great for people on the go with handheld/pocket devices and look to surf the net a lot... and actually, when you sign up on the site, you are given a nationwide list of places that you can pick and choose to auto connect to. The device the software is ON is the only place where you can add personal networks... they are not saved in the site (as far as I know... but I never bothered to try that when I had my N800....) so also, I have YET to see any networking software for *nix other than this that is capable of seemless hand-offs of network connections similar to, if not better than, cell phones with cellular towers. the only thing I think it is actually lacking is a notification that your connection is getting weak, either by sound effect or popup... both would be nice, actually...

Also, another important thing to note is that some of these places you can connect to through devicescape for free are restricted to the general public, and some you have to either pay for, or be a patron of the shop to use. that kind of thing drives me away from places, but using devicescape to connect in a place I would otherwise have to pay for, I am more likely to be a customer of that location, just because I can come and go as I please on their wifi... Of course, that does leave room for the squatters, but they gotta go sign up for something, and most squatters do go the long way to be lazy (at least most that I know)...

Summary:
- Access to restricted networks
- Seemless network hand-offs (just like cellphones & their towers)
- truly zero-config functionality

these are my reasons for making this post. and they do offer do-it-yourself compiling options... I believe on the download page I provided in my original post....

truekaiser posted on May 18 2009 at 01:50 PM said:
such practices from what i understand is strongly discouraged in *nix programing unlike in windows. iwconfig handles all the commands related to wireless interfaces while ifconfig is mostly used for wired. besides do you really want a gui program like that crashing and taking down the wireless sub system if not the kernel it's self?
Actually, if you want to get specific, NetworkManager talks to wpa_supplicant. The confusion may arrise from the fact that wpa_supplicant needs to know what interface and driver to use. Your point still holds, though.

dflemstr posted on May 18 2009 at 06:23 PM) [quote="javaJake posted on May 17 2009 at 09:12 PM said:
Please, say 'cracker' if that's what you mean ;"]
[/quote]Racist :p

javaJake posted on May 19 2009 at 10:09 PM said:
Actually, if you want to get specific, NetworkManager talks to wpa_supplicant. The confusion may arrise from the fact that wpa_supplicant needs to know what interface and driver to use. Your point still holds, though.
And if you want to get really specific, NetworkManager isn't a GUI. It's just a daemon that runs in the background; most distributions package the GUI applet that you actually interact with in the same binary/source package though.

Vorporeal posted on May 21 2009 at 03:35 PM said:
javaJake posted on May 19 2009 at 10:09 PM said:
And if you want to get really specific, NetworkManager isn't a GUI. It's just a daemon that runs in the background; most distributions package the GUI applet that you actually interact with in the same binary/source package though.
I think we all know that, but it's that design of NM that's so easy to use; I mean it's even easy to make your own applet if you want to!
And BTW, NM was originally developed for GNOME and only had a GTK GUI, so it's quite new for it to have multiple GUIs (the KDE4 applet isn't even finished yet)

Back