GP2X Developing For Gp2x Via Windows

jimb

Still Fresh
Is is possible to develop for the GP2X from within the Windows environment?

I know there is CygWin but I don't really usderstand how I would set the thing up to compile Linux executables. If it is at all possible that is.

For Windows you can use the Cygwin GCC build by DJW, or wait for the MinGW version. It does mean you can't use the supplied GPH libraries, but I think it's better that way :) (eg. there's already a much better SDL library than the one provided by GPH, and there's going to be a lot more)

Its really easy to develop in linux, just burn yourself a "knoppix-cd*" and try it out.
It doesn't feature a good IDE but I guess you could get that from the internet.

*don't have to install that version, runs from cd

TeDaDeS posted on Oct 30 2005 at 05:08 PM said:
Its really easy to develop in linux, just burn yourself a "knoppix-cd*" and try it out.
It doesn't feature a good IDE but I guess you could get that from the internet.

*don't have to install that version, runs from cd

I was going to suggest the DevelopGo LiveCD as it seems geared towards development, but they don't have SDL on it from the looks of things. Also, you have to pay for it (only $10 though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
no_skill posted on Oct 30 2005 at 05:44 PM said:
ah yes. linux distro proposal confusion galore. wonderful :)

ubuntu live cd (no install)!

I don't think it has any programming stuff on it at all, though. Nor the SDL development stuff.

Curses! Is there not a single live CD that will meet all of this man's needs?

Ravnos posted on Oct 30 2005 at 05:50 PM said:
Curses! Is there not a single live CD that will meet all of this man's needs?

I don't think there is a single live cd to meet anyones every need.
(Trust me I've tried alot of live cd's) B)

Somebody should make a simple distro with all the tools you need to develop on the GP2X. That would be useful.

Hey all, I would love to develop for the 2x and I too would love to see a portable distro with all of the necesary tools so I guess I'm wondering what all of the necesarry tools are because if we have that down somewhere I can look into making one.

Hanz™ posted on Oct 31 2005 at 12:10 PM said:
Somebody should make a simple distro with all the tools you need to develop on the GP2X. That would be useful.
That's what we need. Yet another distro to join the hundreds already out there. Is it any wonder the Linux market is so fractured?

Just install a linux distro, Slackware preferably. A live CD wouldn't be a good development environment anyways, especially if you usually run Windows 2000, NT, or XP.

For Windows users I am just working the bugs out of a customised GCC 4.0.2 based tool-chain that runs on Windows (without the need for CygWin) and it features patches to enable the excellent ARM ASM floating point code that is normally disabled on ARM-Linux GCC builds.

This is already in Open2x's CVS (tool-chain module) and I hope to release a pre-built windows tool-chain/devkit in a few days with a matching set of SDL, SDL_Mixer, SDL_Image, libMAD, Tremor libs etc.

If you use CygWin the scripts already build a working tool-chain already (if you follow the README ;)), they also build working tool-chains on all the Little Endian Linux boxes I tested.

I am not 100% that the scripts will build a tool-chain on a Big Endian box (I don't have my Solaris box to test on) but for 99.99% of people that is a non issue :D. If you have a Big Endian box you know what it means ;).

try dynebolic 2.0 (is a live distro you can customize as you want, compiling from scratch) dev.dynebolic.org .

that's the real solution, even if you need a linux to create it.

newmark posted on Oct 31 2005 at 11:14 AM said:
try dynebolic 2.0 (is a live distro you can customize as you want, compiling from scratch) dev.dynebolic.org .

that's the real solution, even if you need a linux to create it.

The real solution :blink:, these are Windows users we are talking about here not kernel hackers who want a bootable Linux install from a USB stick ;), why do people need to recommend the Live CD equivalent of a Gentoo Stage 1 in a thread about Windows development tools :p. Nothing wrong with it, it just seems out of context.

I somehow think a patched tool-chain that works on Windows may be just a little less work then building your own custom live distro somehow :D :D.

There is NO need to use Linux to develop for the GP2X, just like there is no need to use Linux for GP32 development. I say that as a long term Linux user.

i totally agree.

BUT

i think that if someone begin to use linux keep microsux away from his computer in 3 days (if is a developer and not a user).

and i want microsoft AWAY from ANY computer.

and more... i think i will do a distro with dyneII for GP2x developing, so when i'll have it in my hand (the gp2x) i try to release that.

But you are right that fool that code on Win doesn't have reason to know what their computer can do for them :)

People need to stop forgetting.. SDL is everywhere.

Code on any platform using SDL, and you'll be ready to go day-zero with the gp2x. Then you start tweaking for the gp2x if you need to.

Easy :)

jeff

("Elvis is Everywhere" - Mojo Nixon)

DJWillis posted on Oct 31 2005 at 10:46 AM said:
For Windows users I am just working the bugs out of a customised GCC 4.0.2 based tool-chain that runs on Windows (without the need for CygWin) and it features patches to enable the excellent ARM ASM floating point code that is normally disabled on ARM-Linux GCC builds.

This is already in Open2x's CVS (tool-chain module) and I hope to release a pre-built windows tool-chain/devkit in a few days with a matching set of SDL, SDL_Mixer, SDL_Image, libMAD, Tremor libs etc.

If you use CygWin the scripts already build a working tool-chain already (if you follow the README ;)), they also build working tool-chains on all the Little Endian Linux boxes I tested.

I am not 100% that the scripts will build a tool-chain on a Big Endian box (I don't have my Solaris box to test on) but for 99.99% of people that is a non issue :D. If you have a Big Endian box you know what it means ;).
I just gotta say, you rock sir! :ph34r:

Back