Developers will start porting psx games? how?

Shadow of Chaos

Website
Visit site
I heard on a website that developers are in fact going to port PSX games onto Gp32, i would love to see some great games on it such as PSX extreme games or something it was called.

Anyway.. how are they going to do this considering the size of a SMC card can only go up to 128mb for the gp32? i mean, it sounds great but ps1 game is on a full cd and im guessing most games fill up the cd or are around 400-500mb's a piece, so either their going to downsample them somehow or their actually going to rewrite all the code.

Other than that the site must have been talking utter bollocks.. though it seemed official.

Any thoughts?!

I don't know how and don't really care. :p

It will be exceptionally cool to get some parasite eve action going on though.

Ben

No, they likely will be ports in the same vein of the Pocketpc port of Tomb Raider 1.

If you strip a PS1 game of the FMVs and compress all the audio into OGGs, you could easily fit one on an SMC. I wouldn't be surprised if yuo could get most games down to around 64 megs.

I agree with U Rambozo... :)
Size can be reduced a lot.
E.g. : Parasite Eve, which has been referenced up, is only between 200 & 400 megs
'coz all the videos are not so compressed and all the game is in both CDs....
But remember that this one use the same 3d engine as FF8 & I think it'll be hard to port a full 3d engine.....but this is the game I want most ;)
see you

Parasite eve never came out here in the UK. Parasite eve 2 did, but it didn't seem right to buy it without seeing the first one, er, first :) It looked amazing. Not fair really :( Should buy an import and try it on an emulator i spose. Jace

Most N64 games were 64mb-128mb even less per game, and N64 had alot of great games. it is possible to port or make a great game using 128mb. That is lot more memory than any other cartridge system out or was out.

extremegamer posted on Oct 18 2003 at 01:49 PM said:
Most N64 games were 64mb-128mb even less per game, and N64 had alot of great games. it is possible to port or make a great game using 128mb. That is lot more memory than any other cartridge system out or was out.
Actually most were 8-16MB

Last edited by a moderator:
Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Oct 18 2003 at 03:43 PM said:
extremegamer posted on Oct 18 2003 at 01:49 PM said:
Actually most were 8-16MB
1 mbyte = 8 mbit, i guess. so you're both right then ey :)

i believe that we could get (if the source were available) fpse arm running at 10ish fps ;) but the source isn't available. maybe if we asked REALLY nice they would take the time to port it to a "proper" system, pocket pcs suck for gaiming in my opinion. on the fpse arm site they have videos of ff7 running in a battle 40 fps :blink: it may be fake tho....

w8 w8 w8 so lets say they could optimise for just 2d games that would just be amazing. Because well firstly metal slug x at 10 fps or so would be a bit jittery but still very cool. Buttttt command and conquer ! wooh ! at most fps's is quite playable ! :)

But i thought that up to now that all roms had to be loaded into the memory. so only the smallest games would fit. Unless a way to stream from the smc was developed.

Dozer posted on Oct 18 2003 at 08:43 PM said:
But i thought that up to now that all roms had to be loaded into the memory. so only the smallest games would fit. Unless a way to stream from the smc was developed.
You're right. But you're also wrong. Roms have to be loaded in their entirety, but that's because swapping data without knowing which bit is which is pretty darn hard - far easier to just read the whole thing. And a lot faster.

Ports, on the other hand, have no such restrictions. Just d/l that "Ah! My goddess GP" and play for a bit. You'll notice fairly shortly that that is 32 megs or so. The restriction only applies to emulated stuff. And these would be ports and/or remakes. So you could get quite a lot in there!

well how do they get 100+mb games into a pocket pc's 32-64mb of memory? ;) someone said they got a game to 2mb (i'd like to see that...)

Surely there is a way 2 stream off the smc especiall if its a cd based system. As on the system itself its streamed straight off an external device + in the case of the playstation it didn't have much memory i dont think. I dont really no what i'm talking about but people like ryleh + zardoz jones always seem 2 prove people wrong with whats possible

SMC input/output would probably be too slow to stream from. however, i heard something about rlyeh hacking gcc/ads a bit and making smc operations faster. so who knows? ;]

Well as far as i know. The PS1 had somin like 2mb of ram. and somin like a 50mhz processor.

The n64 was 90mhz but had a proper 3d graphics card in it. but i think with the expansion back it had a max of 8mb of ram. (This is megabytes)

This is stretching my memory, but the gp32 is plenty capable of all the ps1 games. And maybe some n64 ones too. Half-life needed a p133 with 24mb of ram. to run at all of 10fps if you were lucky. The gp32 is dedicated hardware, lets talk to valve :p

Back