Details And Specs Of The Pandora's Sound Card

thoughtcriminal

Still Fresh
I know this has been discussed a lot before, but I tried a search and couldn't find the spec sheet.

I'm looking for complete technical specs of the sound card, as well as the manufacturer and model number.
Anyone has those, or can link me to them?
thanks in advance

search burr brown dac

google.. use it: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=f...&pid=609018

also I don't think technical specs are released yet.. to keep cloning down... but i think they may be included with the pandora but that is just speculation.. and after you get it linux well likely be able to tell you the exact chip id anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that MWeston said it's a 24-bit DAC, but TI (who bought out Burr-Brown) doesn't have any DACs listed on their website over 20-bit.

Strange?

Vorporeal said:
It's interesting that MWeston said it's a 24-bit DAC, but TI (who bought out Burr-Brown) doesn't have any DACs listed on their website over 20-bit.

Strange?
They have dozens of 24 bit dacs and codecs listed. Look under Audio Converters and Codecs.

Look up the TWL5030 power management IC and audio codec. It's part of the OMAP3 platform, and is used on the Beagle Board, so it seems like the most likely choice.

sdedalus said:
Vorporeal said:

Strange?
They have dozens of 24 bit dacs and codecs listed. Look under Audio Converters and Codecs.

Look up the TWL5030 power management IC and audio codec. It's part of the OMAP3 platform, and is used on the Beagle Board, so it seems like the most likely choice.

Ah, I was looking in the DAC section instead of the DAC subsection of the audio converters section. Yeah, that's most likely what's in there.

How does the panda handle speaker and headphone output? The 1773 isn't even close to 150mW at 16 ohms.

sdedalus said:
Exactly my point.
Then I must be missing your point. The 1773 is the DAC and the TWL4030 is the amp (among other things). Where is the problem?

sdedalus said:
So you bypassed the internal DAC in the TWL?

I assume so. The internal DAC on the TWL is less than stellar, and there wouldn't be much point to sticking a 1773 on the board if you're not going to use it.

Chip said:
sdedalus said:
So you bypassed the internal DAC in the TWL?

I assume so. The internal DAC on the TWL is less than stellar, and there wouldn't be much point to sticking a 1773 on the board if you're not going to use it.

Well, that's good to know. There's not anything I can think of that would be a drop in replacement, but having a separate dac gives the adventurous the option to replace it. The PCM1741 seems like it could be a really good mod for someone who's not as concerned with battery life.

lol, seems like i am talking to the air!

all of you, read my previous posts and look at the U12 chip, it's a 1773. it's there, you can see it and read it!

and some quotes:

Squidge said: Sound card? More like a BB DAC connected to the T2.

MWeston said: It should be substantially better than the GP2X. The DAC is made by Burr Brown.

oh well, going to bed..

nikkopt said:
lol, seems like i am talking to the air!

all of you, read my previous posts and look at the U12 chip, it's a 1773. it's there, you can see it and read it!

and some quotes:

Squidge said: Sound card? More like a BB DAC connected to the T2.

MWeston said: It should be substantially better than the GP2X. The DAC is made by Burr Brown.

oh well, going to bed..
I think there is a language barrier here. We're both agreeing with you :p

I'm not denying the 1773's existence, I'm using it's existence to conclude that they're not using the DAC in the TWL4030.

om*g lol, ur right, sorry.. going to kill myself, brb

but before that, i also think that the 1773 uses another amp rather than the TWL's
As i said in post #13, something like a TPA6111A2, it's a 150 mW stereo amp with the same pin config as U13

well, time to kill myself..

The main audio output path is
OMAP3 -> 1773 -> some amp -> out

line out and line in in AV connector:
OMAP3 -> TWL4030 (or compatible) -> out
OMAP3 <- TWL4030 (or compatible) <- in

Back