Sound Quality

Ryuu

Still Fresh
Im a dnb lover and i plan on using my pandora for my music collection. I was wondering what kind of sound/card/chip/w/e the pandora has?will the sound system be able to pump some choonage :D ? i wont be using the speakers for music as i have some good canalphones but hows the bass and treble on this beauty? any devs tried it out on their dev boards??

can anyone link me to something which used the same sound system ? a vid would be nice.

Sound quality is influenced by three main things: the DAC chip, the op-amp chip, and the amount of watts put out. Having a Burr Brown DAC doesn't necessarily mean it's quality, the op amp chip matters too, and the whole setup has to put out enough watts to drive the headphones themselves to sufficient volume.

My guess is that the output will be fine for casual users using regular earbuds with low impedance, but for audiophiles with high impedance headphones, the output will probably be too weak to drive them loud enough.

Ranma13 said:
Sound quality is influenced by three main things: the DAC chip, the op-amp chip, and the amount of watts put out. Having a Burr Brown DAC doesn't necessarily mean it's quality, the op amp chip matters too, and the whole setup has to put out enough watts to drive the headphones themselves to sufficient volume.

My guess is that the output will be fine for casual users using regular earbuds with low impedance, but for audiophiles with high impedance headphones, the output will probably be too weak to drive them loud enough.
then buy a pre-amp. simple solution.

PoisonedV said:
Ranma13 said:

then buy a pre-amp. simple solution.

thnx for the info although i am an audiophile i was unaware of the technicalities behind "sound quality" i own a creative xmod http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=668&product=15913&nav=1
i dont know if that qualifies as a pre-amp but it does give the bass on my notebook a good kick.

MatthewMalone said:
..and here we go...
It's "Groundhog Day" all over again. :wacko:

soz dude ill be more resourceful next time and use the search function i hope i didnt ruin your day

Ryuu said:
soz dude ill be more resourceful next time and use the search function i hope i didnt ruin your day

No not at all, and I wasn't actually criticizing you. Don't think the sound thing was mentioned here on the new forum before, but on the other one it was.
...and it was all going down the preamp road again, so that was a deja vu.
But you could not know that. It was only meant as a sort of sighing in a humorous sort of way.
Well, always the trouble with the written word.

MatthewMalone said:
Ryuu said:

No not at all, and I wasn't actually criticizing you. Don't think the sound thing was mentioned here on the new forum before, but on the other one it was.
...and it was all going down the preamp road again, so that was a deja vu.
But you could not know that. It was only meant as a sort of sighing in a humorous sort of way.
Well, always the trouble with the written word.

or the lack of better smilies which cover every facial expression :wink:

Since units are already available, try listening to the Archos 5 or 7. Power management and audio are handled by the same Codec in standard OMAP3 configurations, and the same Codec is used for pretty much every variation of OMAP. I'd be incredibly surprised if the Pandora bypasses that chip for a separate audio subsystem, since it is needed for power management anyway.

Since I will be probably listening for music through Bluetooth stereo headset I dont care too much. I just need the control of compression quality of Bluetooth stack =)

Back