Describing old TV shows to people who've never heard of them.

Prometheus

I was watching some old cartoons on YouTube when the idea for this thread struck me. How on Earth do you describe some of these old shows, particularly ones that are very country-specific or region-specific, to someone who's never heard of them before, whilst keeping it brief?

The show that inspired this was SuperTed, which, for the unfamiliar, is a Welsh cartoon series based on a series of children's books from the early 1980s. The original series was produced in Wales, whilst a later one ("The Further Adventures of SuperTed", in 1989) was produced by Hanna-Barbera after the creator of the series moved to the US (this later show was actually re-dubbed for the UK market, as the initial US release featured American voices for SuperTed and Spotty!).

Anyway, in trying to figure out how I'd describe the plot of such a thing, I could only describe it thusly: A cowardly alien with the universe's worst case of green acne brings a rejected teddy bear left in a factory basement to life, and Mother Nature herself grants the aberration against nature special powers, enabling him to transform into a Superman-esque superhero. He then defends the world from the schemes of an allegedly-Texan cowboy with a bad accent, an inept morbidly obese man, and a shockingly camp member of the walking-dead.

And the best part? That's an entirely accurate description!

Does anyone else have any similar summaries of old favourites to share? :p

The smurfs only had one girl smurffett. How did they breed?And why did gargymal always forget where the smurf village was located when he'd already found it many times before.

And that guy who kept making cupcakes, what Team was he playing for? He-Man on the other hand is explained entirely in the title He is a man.(the male chauvinistic undertones were later mitigated by the arrival of She RA princess of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sort of meant to be in the vein of descriptions like those quoted below. ;) (Quote courtesy of the fortune files in the Ubuntu repository.)

A Tale of Two Cities LITE™

-- by Charles Dickens

A man in love with a girl who loves another man who looks just like him has his head chopped off in France because of a mean lady who knits.

Crime and Punishment LITE™

-- by Fyodor Dostoevski

A man sends a nasty letter to a pawnbroker, but later feels guilty and apologizes.

The Odyssey LITE™

-- by Homer

After working late, a valiant warrior gets lost on his way home.

That sort of thing. :lol:

A boy with a bizzare yellow sidekick throws cards at other boys and their bizazre animal sidekicks.Pokemon.

I used to watch this program about a mammal who used to hang around with a martial arts expert.

Always claiming gunshot in the car and trying to foil the plans of the Worlds most evil genius - Hugo a go go

--------------------------------------------------batfink <-- Highlight here for answer

Also recall another program, staring a particularly classic comic actor from the UK.

He used to live under the pavement [or sidewalk for our US friends] with car access via the curb.

Used to roll with a nervious little chap and would often be put into compromising situations by a crow and a toad

-------------------------------------------------- of course, dangermouse! <-- Highlight here for anser

Loonatics Unleashed, though it's not actually that old. What if the Looney Toons were superheroes or villains in the distant future? You'll either love this show (as I did), or condemn it for raping your childhood. There is no middle ground.

He-Man on the other hand is explained entirely in the title He is a man.(the male chauvinistic undertones were later mitigated by the arrival of She RA princess of power.

yeah but they all had muscles-on-their-muscles, even Skeletor (who's a friggin' skeleton). You could just imagine them with the baby oil, all getting lubed up for a body-building expo.

Or was that just me.... :huh:

The Man From Atlantis

Water breathing man with contradictory biology of lungs but no gills turns up on beach, the logo on his swimming trunks is taken to be a sign he came from Atlantis. Spends most of the time from that point onward in a submarine.

fast food going on weird, awesome adventures meeting random robots, aliens, pixels, and their good friend Carl

Mulleted man solves every problem with utility knife and random objects?

(null)

Mysterious man resides in strange Italian village in Wales while being multiple numeric values at the same time, both six and one, often found unconcious on the nearby beach having been driven out the water by large inflatable all seeing orb

--> the prisoner

The intro of this show just told everything in the opening song...

In the not-too-distant future --

Next Sunday A.D. --

There was a guy named Joel,

Not too different from you or me.

He worked at Gizmonic Institute,

Just another face in a red jumpsuit.

He did a good job cleaning up the place,

But his bosses didn't like him

So they shot him into space.

We'll send him cheesy movies,

The worst we can find (la-la-la).

He'll have to sit and watch them all,

And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).

Now keep in mind Joel can't control

Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)

Because he used those special parts

To make his robot friends.

Back