Best of Atari 2600

Yeah, centipede was a good one. I remember really liking Vanguard, Atlantis (Which is on its way as I speak), adventure and that Shoot out game. I must admit that without the manual I found Riddle of the Sphinx to be the most perplexing game ever.

Nobody said ADVENTURE? That game took most of my childhood!

Superman is also cool, plus many others that have been said before, including the awesome Supercharger games!

There are many new homebrew games (Halo 2600 is one of them) I still buy like 2-3 Atari 2600 games per year, the homebrew community is very active (just take a look at AtariAge website)

^ I love Adventure. I got to play it for the first time earlier in the year, and I found it thoroughly engrossing. That bat is evil!! :lol:

I was really young (about 9) when I had my VCS2600, and I had only two games with it: Space Invaders and Defender.

But I remember having played the crap out of them, and Defender is the first game I ever finished. Ah these were the times...

We got an Atari 2600 in 1979 if I remember correctly. So adding some old school picks to the games already mentioned:

Turmoil

Adventures Of Tron

Beany Bopper

Tunnel Hunt

Capture The Flag (2 player)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Carnival

Solaris is a magnificent programming achievement, but I never got into it as a game.

And everyone should try exploring outside the level data in Mountain King at least once.

I was really young (about 9) when I had my VCS2600, and I had only two games with it: Space Invaders and Defender.

But I remember having played the crap out of them, and Defender is the first game I ever finished. Ah these were the times...

That's the thing about gaming back then. Half the time we would play the same game every day for months. Most of those games you more or less had to imagine what some of the graphics were yet somehow 30 years later, they can be remembered more fondly then the flashy excellent graphics games of today. The only thing I dreamed of in Atari days were games that were longer, more involved with more options. Like Donkey Kong with all the levels, or Pitfall with new area's to explore. Games like Star Raiders were awesome to me cause you could control and lose shields and engines and weapons. It was never about the graphics.

I hope the extra Pandora buttons will allow for control of Star Raiders. I would recommend that one too.

Here's a few of my favorites that I didn't see listed (apologies if I duplicated any):

Atlantis

Basketball (my brother and I laughed our butts off playing this)

Boxing (another game we played together and still do every time he visits)

Commando Raid

Enduro (Great racer... similar to the arcade Turbo)

Entombed

Fast Food

Haunted House

Megamania

Raiders of the Lost Ark

River Raid

Atlantis (1982) (Imagic).png

Basketball (1978) (Atari).png

Boxing (1981) (Activision).png

Commando Raid (1982) (US Games).png

Enduro (1983) (Activision).png

Entombed (1982) (US Games).png

Fast Food (1982) (Telesys).png

Haunted House (1981) (Atari).png

Megamania (1982) (Activision).png

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1982) (Atari).png

river raid (1982) (activision).png

Well, most of the ones I remember well have been mentioned. The one exception I can think of at the moment is Chopper Command

5Xwaj.png

The best thing you could do with a 2600 was to get rid of it and grab an intellivision with a system changer.. then you

could run the stuff from both. :)

(I still have a working setup that allows me to play both from 1 machine... and I've got a decent supply (> 100) of

intellivision cartridges :)

Christopher. (*applies flame retardant suit now*)

Hey look, Halo on the Pandora!

500x_halo2600.jpg

It's called Halo 2600, made by Ed Fries.

Was a limited time release at a classic gaming expo recently.

You can now pick up the rom here: Halo 2600

Pretty funny actually, though I guess it doesn't count as an official retro Atari game :p

You beat me to it, that game's pretty awesome!

Back