I'm Impressed With TV-Cable Out Of The Pandora

With the exception of light guns, I have a hard time coming up with a single thing that CRTs are superior to flat panels at.
Displaying legacy interlaced signals correctly*, without lag?

(* without the use of an additional external scaler)

There's the basic appeal of the shadowmasked rastered image too, not so much a benefit over modern TVs, more a desirable trait for the full retro experience.
The bigger issue tends to be from the emulator itself taking shortcuts to run without emulating every single transistor and circuit of the entire system.

And I see no reason why we should exclude external scalers from the equation.

With the exception of light guns, I have a hard time coming up with a single thing that CRTs are superior to flat panels at.
Displaying legacy interlaced signals correctly*, without lag?

(* without the use of an additional external scaler)

There's the basic appeal of the shadowmasked rastered image too, not so much a benefit over modern TVs, more a desirable trait for the full retro experience.
 The bigger issue tends to be from the emulator itself taking shortcuts to run without emulating every single transistor and circuit of the entire system.

And I see no reason why we should exclude external scalers from the equation.
I wasn't referring to emulation though, I meant actual signals from legacy devices (not just games consoles either). Even with a dedicated scaler added to a modern display there's still some lag (though less), and the end result still doesn't look exactly like it did on ye olde CRT! Much better than it otherwise would, of course.

A Mame cab with a monster slightly convex CRT, or a flat LCD? I know which I'd prefer!

I have some trouble with the TV Our Mode. I don't get the right aspect ratio for Widescreen Movies, no matter what I set on my TV. It has various settings but none of them are letterboxed so even 16:9 is not wide enough for Movies. No clue how I get the black bars activated to get the correct picture aspect ratio. Are there TV Our options for this? And is it normal that TV mode doesn't disable Pandoras own speaker sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
My 16:9 TV recognizes the signal as 4:3, but I can set it to stretch to fullscreen. For my CRT (4:3) I could do the same (i.e. add black bars on top and bottom and squeeze the image), but since that function is a bit strange on my old CRT I just made a special profile in the TV-Out configuration where I reduce y and adjust the centre-position a bit.

And yes: TV-out does not mute the Pandora, which is great because you can still use headphones and enjoy the awsome sound-quality of the Pandora. Or use the TV speakers and mute using the volume-wheel.

As per F_Slim, I manually change the Aspect Ratio on the TV/display being used to suit the Picture. By default for games I use 4:3.

4:3 and 16:9 work, I also can set these onto my TV. But this doesn't help if the Movie is wider than 16:9, in this case the image on TV is compressed left and right to fit onto the screen. It seems that my TV can't add the black bars on top/bottom to keep a very wide image to the correct aspect ratio. Which is strange because onto the Pandora the Movie has these bars but not onto the TV screen. Maybe I should try Software layer, so far I only used HW layer from MPlayer 2 because it's HW accelerated. ^^"

I've just discovered that line out still works even if you have TV out disabled.  That's quite neat!

One less thing to faff with if you're using it for music playing duties.

I've just discovered that line out still works even if you have TV out disabled.  That's quite neat!

One less thing to faff with if you're using it for music playing duties.
That definitely is neat. Not sure if that's on purpose or if there should be an option of disabling that as well. Presumably having that extra power is going to take some battery life. Or perhaps not, I know that USB ports are supposed to power down when disabled and my old EEE PC would go dead over night when turned off because they wouldn't.

It probably doesn't take any extra power if not connected to anything - that signal is the input to the headphone socket via the volume wheel, so it needs to be active all the time (that you want anything to come out of the headphone socket at least).

Line in would cost a tiny bit if kept running all the time - an ADC would need to keep sampling the line, but I haven't tested if that works with TV-out off, and would probably cost nothing compared to the cost of keeping a scaler and rasteriser running for the composite and s-video outputs to work.

^ the line in works without the TV-out on as well as everything else on the EXT connector.

4:3 and 16:9 work, I also can set these onto my TV. But this doesn't help if the Movie is wider than 16:9, in this case the image on TV is compressed left and right to fit onto the screen. It seems that my TV can't add the black bars on top/bottom to keep a very wide image to the correct aspect ratio. Which is strange because onto the Pandora the Movie has these bars but not onto the TV screen. Maybe I should try Software layer, so far I only used HW layer from MPlayer 2 because it's HW accelerated. ^^"
True, the TV-Out signal isn't 'aspect corrected' like the Main display often is - you see the same in some low-res games sometimes - like in Mame, it appears to output whatever is displayed as 'full screen' by default, so there can be a bit of stretching going on sometimes.

I believe it's a scaler-related 'issue' that stuff scaled to not fill the Pandora screen still fills the TV screen. If something is made to fill the entire screen then the TV output is pretty much 16:9 anamorphic, and something scaled to a 4:3 shape should translate to a standard 4:3 output, but anything else is going to result in distortion.

I also checked it onto an 16:9 Analog CRT TV, same issue, everything works from 4:3 up to 16:9 but if a movie is wider than 16:9, the picture is horizontaly compressed because it doesn't keep the aspect ratio with adding black bars. I wonder if people just don't mind this or found a solution for the correct aspect ratio when watching movies on TV from the Pandora.  I just can't stand wrong aspect ratios.  :D

Well, you can either check if changing the aspect-ratio in the settings of the player from "default" to something else helps, or (as already mentioned) you can make a new profile in the TV-Out configuration for wider-than-widescreen-movies, where you simply adjust y until the aspect shows ok on your TV.

One thing I'd like to see retained in Pandora successor is this TV-Out connection type (perhaps in addition to the new HDMI or whatever P2's gonna have).  The reason is retro games look like shit on LCD through HDMI unless you're willing to spend $300-$500 for a good upscaler.  So retaining this TV-Out of P1 on P2 will allow retro games to play on old CRT monitors/TVs the way it meant to be. 
Does anybody knows something on this respect? Has ED said anything about keeping EXT connection in the succesor?

Many people would like a more standard connection like HDMI, but I agree with Shenmue, it would be nice to have both.

^ ED did mention somewhere either IRC or in the P2 section that he has thousands of these connectors and said he may keep the connector in the successor. It was also stated even if Analog TV-Out can't be done, the Analog audio In/Out still could be used on the current TV-Out cable and the Yellow Video out connector could possible be reused for digital audio out.

For me I would still like the use of the GPIOs on the EXT adapter for project work.

Well, you can either check if changing the aspect-ratio in the settings of the player from "default" to something else helps, or (as already mentioned) you can make a new profile in the TV-Out configuration for wider-than-widescreen-movies, where you simply adjust y until the aspect shows ok on your TV.
The player settings don't change anything as far as I tested it. Maybe there are separate options hiddensomewhere but I guess I have to fix this with the TV out itself. Not sure how to deal with new profiles or which values I have to set. I see the resolution settings for NTSC and PAL but how to figure out propper Cinemascope settings?  Did nobody fixed this stuff to watch Movies over TV Out yet? I can't be the only one who wants to watch Movies with the Pandora over tthe TV. ^^"

The player settings don't change anything as far as I tested it. Maybe there are separate options hiddensomewhere but I guess I have to fix this with the TV out itself. Not sure how to deal with new profiles or which values I have to set. I see the resolution settings for NTSC and PAL but how to figure out propper Cinemascope settings?  Did nobody fixed this stuff to watch Movies over TV Out yet? I can't be the only one who wants to watch Movies with the Pandora over tthe TV. ^^"
I think this is still a work in progress, which reminds me, I need to take a look at my unit to see if I'm doing something wrong or if there's bugs causing the weird behavior.

Back