Deleting Nonworking Mame Roms

g4m3r

Hello,

I'm sort of a newbie at this stuff, but I would like to know how to delete all of my MAME roms that are useless. More than half of my collection are "nodumps" according to clrmame. Is there a way to get rid of all these non-working files?

Much appreciated,
g4m3r

• Get the 0.34 .torrent, which has all the working ones.
• Search the archive for EvilDragon's tool .. it filters out the ones that work (though it's for a previous verison of MAME, it may help)

TelcoLou posted on May 31 2006 at 08:29 PM said:
• Get the 0.34 .torrent, which has all the working ones.
• Search the archive for EvilDragon's tool .. it filters out the ones that work (though it's for a previous verison of MAME, it may help)
Ok, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can use clrmamepro and the data file that is in GP2xmame archive

Yod4z said:
you can use clrmamepro and the data file that is in GP2xmame archive

I fully relize that the above thread is old.
But im reinvesting some time in making mame work again.
per the excessive amt of nonworking games (even the ones flagged as working, some dont)... I didnt restore mame when my last crash required a restore of data (whole system)..

-------
Problem is that it didnt remove more than 1-3 or so.

If I understand the product, clrmame should have removed more than 70% of whats there.

Unfortunately short of using the mame 'favorites' - a custom folder i created via mame ... there are no
real options.

And if I cant use the favorites in some way in hyperspin.. its very unlikely that I will spend more than a few more weeks on this effort to have a mame setup that is worth having.

As it is, if I can take that 'favorites folder' and create a hyperspin db, from it.. then maybe things will be good.

Probelem there is that dir2dat doesnt work at all and crashes on me.

But I figure its per that Im Vista 64 and that dir2dat is likely not written well enough to be anything other than Xp or similar.

A properly written non graphical tool can be written to run on any windows os.

I should know I got tools I wrote back in Windows 95 days that I can still use 100%.
In fact only 4 recompiles since and none of those were per changes in windows os.

Plus I have a ton of apps & games from even win3.1 days that still run just fine and several of them are decent in graphics.. though at times slow...

QUESTION, is there either:
1. Tool that will 'really' remove roms/games that are not working..
2. or that would take a custom folder (mame folder) and create a hyperspin xml .
To have it as a mame subwheel.
3. To create PC games subwheel (i can create a main wheel to be same level as mame, but when I try to add pc games to it, it cant be done.. I can only add pc games individually to the main menu which is dumb per having dozens of games.. The main menu should not have any actual games or items listed except category or genre or similar.

on #1 - clrmame doesnt work or does work but only removed 2 I had expected it to remove at least 200-300.
on #2 there seems to be ok tools here but dont do what #2 needs. Similar but not quite.
on #3 - The documentation goes only as far as setting up a main entry for one game but not both the wheel and its sublist of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back