Default Gui

Pleng

Failing to take my own advice, I started messing about with some XFCE data files without changing my default GUI to minimenu. I now have a NAND that won't start my default GUI and keeps looping back to the login prompt.

I have a bootable recovery SD which I can mount the NAND with. And I really want to avoid reflashing if at all possible. So what I need to know is what file the default GUI setting is stored in, so I can change it to minimenu.

/home/<username>/.xinitrc
line 53 (or so) has
DEFAULT_SESSION=startxfce4
change to
DEFAULT_SESSION=startmmenu

that should be it.

What files did you mess around with?
If they were all within your home directory, simply deleting them should restore the default XFCE4-settings.

Well I messed around with some scripts in my home directory, but also with the 'startxfce4' script itself. Strangely just restoring that script didn't work. Running the script from terminal shows a permission issue with /home/pleng/.ICEauthority - chmodding it with a 777 seemed to fix it, though the file doesn't even seem to exist anymore! Very peculiar.

Anyway I have XFCE4 now, and enough of trying to resolve the original problem (the one that led to me causign thsi issue) myself... I'm clearly out of my depth and therefore heading over to the dev section for help!

Once we get xbmc to launch PNDs would it be possible to set xbmc as a default gui ED?

HackModford said:
Once we get xbmc to launch PNDs would it be possible to set xbmc as a default gui ED?

Sure, you can add any GUI easily as default GUI.
There's one config file where it needs to be put in and then you can switch to it or set it as default the same way you can do with MiniMenu and XFCE4 :)

Last edited:
HackModford said:
Ahhh... Where is said config file :blink:

/etc/pandora/conf/gui.conf (AFAIR).

There's one line for each GUI, including description as well as the command to start and stop it.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
HackModford said:
Ahhh... Where is said config file :blink:

/etc/pandora/conf/gui.conf (AFAIR).

There's one line for each GUI, including description as well as the command to start and stop it.

I wouldn't recommand using xbmc in this at this stage

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree sebt3

But you can't stop me :p

I'm just going to see if I can add it as a gui that I can change too.

BUT NOT THE DEFAULT GUI

That would make life fun....

Is that what you were thinking? Or is there another reason why I shouldn't do it?

Edit: Okay I found it and this is what I put in there...

"XBMC;Xbox Media Center;pnd_run /media/PANDORASD/pandora/desktop/xbmc.pnd;kill" (without quotes of course)

Now I'm pretty sure kill doesn't kill xbmc...

Also it shows up in the gui switcher just fine but it doesn't actually start xbmc. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it impossible to start a pnd as a gui?

you'll need to put quotes around pnd_run /media/PANDORASD/pandora/desktop/xbmc.pnd as there's a space in the instruction

HackModford said:
quotes don't seem to make a difference :(

Run sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_switchgui.sh from terminal, then you can see any output what goes wrong.

Last edited:
Back