Dedicated Emulators

Ringo

Website
Visit site
In another thread, somebody mentioned something about dedicated emulators was fairly common on the DC-scene. Meaning emulators that are programmed (and thus optimised) purely for a specific ROM.
This concept is something that is pretty new for me, and I was wondering if anybody knows of such emulators for PC?

way back in the pre-mame days it was farily common for people to write and emulator specificly for one or two games. It was a decent way to get a game that a lot of people wanted emulated running fairly well on computers that weren're very powerful. Today since the average computer has no problem running most mame games and most computers have more than enough power to emulate anything you would want to do its not really worth writting an emulator optimized for a single game. It does still happen but is fairly rare. The most recent emulator like this for the pc that I can remember in the past few years was called I think U64 which was dedicated to playing just killer instinct. It did later add support for KI2 in later versions but is the most recent example of people writting a dedicated emu for a single game that I can think of.

The first one of these I played was for the arcade version of Rygar. Also, I used to use a dedicated Ghosts 'n' Goblins emu. Both of these were faster than Mame when I had a lowly P166.

try Callus for PC, it emulates the older Capcom games and is really good.

Back