Decent Game Engine

a.ginger.turtwig

Still Fresh
I have wanted to make a game for a long time. I have finally gotten to the point where I have enough time to learn. The issue is that I don't know the pros or cons on the technical side of things. Unity doesn't have any royalties and a huge community to get support from. Unreal gives you the source code and a ton of stuff you would have to pay extra for in Unity. Despite that I'm still leaning towards Unity but if someone here wants to help me out that would be great. Obviously I'm thinking about doing a 3d game, I'd like it to be on PC,Mac,Linux but being to be able to make something for the Pyra and Andriod would be a huge plus. I should add that once I get good enough I'd like to blend different gameplay styles and genres, like really in-depth mini games.

Game Pencil Engine.. Oh wait NVM..

Do you have any prior experience in development? I'd be doing smaller things than games if not.

Game Pencil Engine.. Oh wait NVM..

Do you have any prior experience in development? I'd be doing smaller things than games if not.
I did some Pokémon rom hacks but I don't think most of that experience will carry over. I'm not just going to jump into making the game. I think I'd want to learn a bit of the language for what ever I end up using, and then do a few small projects in the engine to build up to a full game.

Adventure Game Studio shortly AGS is a Game Engine who work on nearly every System.

Pandora,PC,Linux,Windows,Android,PSP, and others.

Maybe AGS is a good Platform for your Future Game ;)

There are many many many engines out there. Including some that are completely free (and open-source) and working well. Unity and Unreal are the better known, but there are others such as Godot or Superpowers which can be better for you depending on what you're looking for.
Some will come with an IDE and all the building blocks you need, others will just be C++ libraries.Some will require C/C++ knowledge while others will use their own language.

Godot seems to be quite good...
There are many many many engines out there. Including some that are completely free (and open-source) and working well. Unity and Unreal are the better known, but there are others such as Godot or Superpowers which can be better for you depending on what you're looking for.
Some will come with an IDE and all the building blocks you need, others will just be C++ libraries.Some will require C/C++ knowledge while others will use their own language.
Last time I looked at Godot It was not user friendly at all, looking at the site it seems to have matured a lot. I think I might end up using this if I can get enough support for it.

Adventure Game Studio shortly AGS is a Game Engine who work on nearly every System.

Pandora,PC,Linux,Windows,Android,PSP, and others.

Maybe AGS is a good Platform for your Future Game ;)
I'm not really into point and click stuff.

First learn C/C++. Maybe use SDL or something similar simple. If you didn't fail with that, continue your search. Programming is more than knowing a language. Programming needs a way of thinking, of abstracting the environment. The needs a lot of time, practice and maybe a bit talent.

Furthermore... Making a game is not just about learning a programming language and some random framework. You need to have a game idea, graphics/textures/modells, music, sound effects, but really the most important is an IDEA. Without idea every you will produce will be shitty, just some copy of another game or a shitty copy.

First learn C/C++. Maybe use SDL or something similar simple. If you didn't fail with that, continue your search. Programming is more than knowing a language. Programming needs a way of thinking, of abstracting the environment. The needs a lot of time, practice and maybe a bit talent.

Furthermore... Making a game is not just about learning a programming language and some random framework. You need to have a game idea, graphics/textures/modells, music, sound effects, but really the most important is an IDEA. Without idea every you will produce will be shitty, just some copy of another game or a shitty copy.
Thanks for the advice. I was asking about Engines so I could know where to start but it seems like everything I've looked at except Unity uses C++. I never thought programing needs a different way of thinking. Hopefully that won't take long.

I know it's 2D, but I recommend trying Pico8 at the start. http://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php You'll learn a lot of basics working with that software. Blender, also has a game engine built in. It uses a logic brick system for the game's logic. Python can also be used.

Back