Unity Game Engine

indrema

Still Fresh
How hard would it be to port the unity game engine to pandora. It already supports opengl es & works on "Unix" based systems, but would one need permision. Could support be ported & one just needs the software to design games?

Indrema said:
How hard would it be to port the unity game engine to pandora. It already supports opengl es & works on "Unix" based systems, but would one need permision. Could support be ported & one just needs the software to design games?
It would have been nice if you had posted a link. Are you talking about this: http://unity3d.com ?
If so, I guess no one here can answer, it's commercial closed-source software. You should ask them directly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from what I can see, besides closed source it's also commercial, with the indie license going for 199$.
It could possibly work, or they could be able to change whatever's needed to run on pandora, but it wouldn't stop being a commercial software all the same.

Probably not unless the pandora gets hugely popular. There are many open source alternatives though.

There are a lot of planed 3D and game Engine ports, might want to look at them, just search the threads.

But at the top of my head I know Q3 engine and I've read that the OGRE 3D engine team is working on a ES version and more are planed

Also OGRE has a Blender Export addon that's very good from what I hear :)

Holokauston said:
But at the top of my head I know Q3 engine and I've read that the OGRE 3D engine team is working on a ES version and more are planed
As far as I know, there is a OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1 Ogre3D port but there isn't any plan to make an OpenGL ES 2.0 port (which will be used by Pandora) in the near future. OpenGL ES 1.0 and 2.0 are incompatible, so we wouldn't be able to use it.

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
Holokauston said:
As far as I know, there is a OpenGL ES 1.0/1.1 Ogre3D port but there isn't any plan to make an OpenGL ES 2.0 port (which will be used by Pandora) in the near future. OpenGL ES 1.0 and 2.0 are incompatible, so we wouldn't be able to use it.

Well Pandora is ES 1.1 compatible as I understand it as well?

I was sure I had read an article about their plans but might have been another 3D engine then, just have to find out which :)

Holokauston said:
I was sure I had read an article about their plans but might have been another 3D engine then, just have to find out which :)

I guess you were thinking about Irrlicht ;)

Holokauston said:
Well Pandora is ES 1.1 compatible as I understand it as well?
I didn't know Pandora will be OpenGL ES 1.1 compatible. In that case, we might use the PocketPC version as a base to make a port, but there would be another problem: that version was built thinking in machines without FPU or graphic hardware acceleration, so it uses fixed point Maths.

David Gutiérrez Palma said:
Since ES 2.0 is very similar to OpenGL 2.0, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a version of OGRE 3D for the Pandora- it'd all depend on how resource heavy OGRE is, I'd think.

Thread necromancy!

I was going to start a thread, but figured its better to revive this topic. I've been doing some thinking about the feasibility of commercial game engines on the Pandora, and I figured...

... why the hell not?

As awesome as opensource is, there's no reason not to encourage commercial tool developers from eyeing the Pandora. As a unique handheld game system, it may catch enough of their interest. And not only that - official support from a well known game engine as Unity 3D can only help Pandora's own advertising and sales. And thats a good thing.

After covering the MacOS and Linux platforms, they've recently added Wii and iPhone publishing capabilities. With this sort of a mindset, they be interested in adding even more indy developer friendly platforms to their list, if only to go past Torque.

How would you grab their interest? Well, here's a crazy idea:
Send them a free unit.

Seriously.

Nothing to spark a nerdgasm and programmer's interest in porting something to your system like getting a shiny freebie of said system. SpaceNavigator has recently pulled this off on Linden Lab. The result: Second Life now has built in Space Navigator support.

It worths a try, I say. What thinks you?

I say start a new thread, this one isn't really related to your topic.
It's an interesting idea, but this thread is about the Unity engine. We don't need to repurpose threads like this.

Ack... Didn't catch the gravedig there...

lulzfish said:
I say start a new thread, this one isn't really related to your topic.
It's an interesting idea, but this thread is about the Unity engine. We don't need to repurpose threads like this.
And he's suggesting that we encourage them by handing them a unit... It's gravediggin', but it's not really repurposin'. ;)

Back