Dead wifi issues on new units

It turns out that it isn't even 10 units now, maybe 8.

And premium units are still shipping, we're just doing an extra test to check for this issue.

Does that mean today is not a holiday as originally planned? (Secretly hopes that might mean I'll get my premium order confirmation today)

It turns out that it isn't even 10 units now, maybe 8.

And premium units are still shipping, we're just doing an extra test to check for this issue.

Does that mean today is not a holiday as originally planned? (Secretly hopes that might mean I'll get my premium order confirmation today)

I'm afraid I don't yet have control over the UK holidays!

Alright, so just to be 100% perfectly clear, new units being shipped have been tested, and do, in fact, have working WiFi, right? :D

I'm having problems with my WiFi and my Pandora was shipped at the end of last week (Thurs. the 28th of April).

I can see the Wireless access points around me, and I could connect to the one I wanted with no issue. However, when trying to actually load a webpage, for example, it would take fooorever. I ended up going to the IRC channel and asking for help - after talking with a few of the chaps there it turned out that my packet loss was crazily high, but that otherwise the connection seemed okay (the line quality was acceptable, for example). In the Connection Info window, it usually shows that my connection's speed is either 'unknown' or '1Mb/s', and the connection will typically reconnect every 5-10mins or so.

This too sounds like I got unlucky and got one of those 8 units with a busted WiFi chip? Or is this a different issue that has to do with the software/driver rather than the chip itself?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've successfully connected to the WiFi network at my college, though the speed is stupidly slow. Still can't connect to the network at home. I got a USB adapter and it does nothing that I can tell. Still seems pretty dead.

I've emailed in about sending it back, just waiting for a reply.

EDIT: the shoulder button's don't work either.

This too sounds like I got unlucky and got one of those 8 units with a busted WiFi chip? Or is this a different issue that has to do with the software/driver rather than the chip itself?
The issue being discussed earlier is that the wifi chip appears to work but will not connect to access points at all. You have a different problem. First things first, we can turn off power saving which might be causing problems. On a command line, type

Code:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

Anybody have any update from Craig about what us folks with duff wifi chips can do re. returning them? Or is there still a possibility of a software fix?

The issue being discussed earlier is that the wifi chip appears to work but will not connect to access points at all. You have a different problem. First things first, we can turn off power saving which might be causing problems. On a command line, type

Code:
Sweet that worked for me thanks now I can heather from my phone

Anybody have any update from Craig about what us folks with duff wifi chips can do re. returning them? Or is there still a possibility of a software fix?

Nope, sent him a PM about it yesterday but as yet had no response. I'm guessing he's not heard from CC yet?

Nope, sent him a PM about it yesterday but as yet had no response. I'm guessing he's not heard from CC yet?
Try running that code wizardstan put up. It worked on mine.

Try running that code wizardstan put up. It worked on mine.

As wizardstan said, different issue. I cannot connect to any networks at all. Simply won't connect. Tried 3 access points. Normally won't even show any in the list.

Code:

Can someone give me bit of advice here? i have a problem, in that my wifi will only stay connected for a short time, i have tried typing in this command in the terminal widow (is that the correct place? i have no idea about these sudo commands) and get an error message "Error for wireless request Set Power Management (882C) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

Any ideas what the problem is, or where i am going wrong?

EDIT:

If i enable the wifi first & then type in the same command, this is the terminal message "bash: susudo: command not found"

That error means it cannot find the wifi chip, which usually means it is not turned on.

If i enable the wifi first & then type in the same command, this is the terminal message "bash: susudo: command not found"

Don't type susudo :)

The command is sudo :)

Just a quick update on the issue:

I sent CC a script that creates a bootable testing SD Card which also includes the WiFi test today.

I haven't heard yet if they got the test to work (they also need to setup a WiFi access point), but I'll keep you informed.

Back