Dead wifi issues on new units

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
It appears 10 units have shipped out with bad wifi chips. The Pandora will think the unit is working normally but either never connect to a network, or if it does connect it will never transfer any data.

We don't yet know what is causing this error but we can test for it here and no more are shipping like this, I've found 40 in the current pile waiting to ship on Tuesday with the issue.

We're speaking to CC about what is going on and hope to have it solved this week.

Rather fortunate that the royal wedding happened when it did or we would have shipped 50!

A close shave.

Bit of a slip. I thought CC were supposed to getting better with their quality control. :(

Rather explains a few recent posts.

I'm assuming this is what is affecting me, ZarkGhost and Muggy? () Any chance we're gonna be able to sort this out ourselves or will we have to send the units back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, probably. We're trying to find out the cause now. It's probably hardware, but you never know it could be software.

Ah bugger. Guess that would explain it then.

Really hope this is fixable without an RMA as i'm leaving for two months of travels next Monday... :unsure:

Ah bugger. Guess that would explain it then.

Really hope this is fixable without an RMA as i'm leaving for two months of travels next Monday... :unsure:

We will just do a direct swap if it needs replacing so it would not be long.

On the plus side, at least I know I'm not going crazy anymore. I thought my networking-Fu had left me..

Btw, Craig, this little thing totally rocks :D

This covers me, does it - though mine works for a few moments, it keeps conking out - ?

I've just received my unit this week & i too have this problem (i get about 5min before connection is lost, and then i can't get back on) and a further issue with regular lockups/freezes (that i have to hard-reset to fix) whenever new files (roms/music or video etc) on the SD are inserted (tried multiple different sizes, classes & brands)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a slip. I thought CC were supposed to getting better with their quality control. :(

Well, the test routines for CC only include loading the WiFi module drivers to check it's working, and up until now, that was enough.

This is a new issue here we never had before - the WiFi module works but strangely doesn't find any networks.

CC couldn't find that with the current tests, so these boards passed the quality control.

So one thing we need to do is update the test routine for them to actually connect to a network instead of just loading the drivers.

It's the same test we do here.

Well, the test routines for CC only include loading the WiFi module drivers to check it's working, and up until now, that was enough.

This is a new issue here we never had before - the WiFi module works but strangely doesn't find any networks.

CC couldn't find that with the current tests, so these boards passed the quality control.

So one thing we need to do is update the test routine for them to actually connect to a network instead of just loading the drivers.

Is there anything that we who have the affected units can do, or is it a case of packing it back off to you?

Is there anything that we who have the affected units can do, or is it a case of packing it back off to you?

As long as we don't know what's causing this, we cannot tell what will fix it. That's our main purpose for next week.

Thank god not all boards are affected, so shipping will continue while they're being fixed.

We think it might be related to bad soldering, but that's just a guess. Would be an easy fix for CC though, which would make me happy.

We'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, if you really need WiFi, your best guess is a cheap small WiFi stick I guess.

As long as we don't know what's causing this, we cannot tell what will fix it. That's our main purpose for next week.
Thank god not all boards are affected, so shipping will continue while they're being fixed.

We think it might be related to bad soldering, but that's just a guess. Would be an easy fix for CC though, which would make me happy.

We'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, if you really need WiFi, your best guess is a cheap small WiFi stick I guess.
Well, if I'm going to wind up sending it back, I'll just wipe it and put it back in the box ready to send back. It's not like I've not already waited a ridiculous time, is it - what's a couple more weeks?

We'll keep you updated.

Well, if I'm going to wind up sending it back, I'll just wipe it and put it back in the box ready to send back. It's not like I've not already waited a ridiculous time, is it - what's a couple more weeks?

Well, any other suggestions here?

This is something new that couldn't have been found with the current testing routines... it never happened with the first 2000 boards.

I just got mine on Friday. Love it alot but the wifi doesn't work at all. So I'm hoping for a fix here

My wifi works but it's incredibly slow, maybe about 30KBpS. I'm presuming that's not a related issue.

Karma kills.

In all reality, if the Pandora didn't have WiFi, I would still love it. It's called a PC and a card reader, I don't see what everyone is fussing about while the problem hasn't been diagnosed. You've had 30+ months to get an SD card prepared.

Just my 2ç

Back