Dead Screen?

Coldbird

Well. Been a happy Pandora user till today when out of a sudden the screen started doing funky stuff.

I can boot the Pandora just fine... goes to the Ängstrom Loading Screen and all that... but once it fills 50% of the gauge, the screen goes black and thats it...

I can still do all the stuff it would do... but blindly... I managed to shut it down via....

Pandora Key -> Picking Logout -> Shutdown (Blindly)

So yeah... how can this happen? I see the screen contents just fine, but it dies on loading Ängstrom?

I didn't change a thing... it was still working just fine earlier today... :blink:

Someone had a similiar experience and knows a way out?

I would start with a reflash. It does not sound like a hardware issue since the screen is viewable at times.

Reflash and let us know.

Out of curiosity, have you changed any settings or installed any new applications (even in PND for) recently? Just wondering if this problem can be replicated somehow.

Press FN-I to increase the brightness. This is reminiscent of an old bug where the backlight control would get stuck at 0. The bug was supposed to have been fixed, so this may not be it, but it doesn't hurt to try.

What version firmware are you using? If it was what WizardStan mentioned, according to the wiki troubleshooting page, this should not occur with more recent HFs.

Screen goes dark mid-boot:
This is a bug with the feature that saves your brightness. Pandoras with the latest hotfix installed shouldn't suffer from this problem. Pressing Fn+I a few times (to increase your brightness) can correct it, if it doesn't the problem is more serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Press FN-I to increase the brightness. This is reminiscent of an old bug where the backlight control would get stuck at 0. The bug was supposed to have been fixed, so this may not be it, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Dear god that was the problem. Thank you sir.

What version firmware are you using? If it was what WizardStan mentioned, according to the wiki troubleshooting page, this should not occur with more recent HFs.

Screen goes dark mid-boot:
This is a bug with the feature that saves your brightness. Pandoras with the latest hotfix installed shouldn't suffer from this problem. Pressing Fn+I a few times (to increase your brightness) can correct it, if it doesn't the problem is more serious.
Im sorry to tell you but im running on the latest hotfix.

So there's a resurgence of the bug, or something entirely new that does the same thing, anyway. How strange. As far as I know, you're the first person to have this problem since the original bug was fixed.

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago, I ended up taking the battery out for a while and that fixed it

OK, I've added a note to the bug on the bug tracker. It seems that it is rdate that sets the screen brightness to 0. My guess is that it is something to do with daylight saving.

OK, I've added a note to the bug on the bug tracker. It seems that it is rdate that sets the screen brightness to 0. My guess is that it is something to do with daylight saving.
That sounds like it's related to the "screen saver" kicking in after 15 minutes.

Back