Dateline: Korea

I remember atleast 2-3 have died while playing diablo 2. I used to play it OBSESSIVLY..its not meant to be that interesting. but somehow it sucks you in. Its not even that deep of a game.

mattribute posted on May 4 2004 at 06:28 PM said:
Yeah, you can't deduct the whole of Koreas opinion from one guy.
Hahhaa :p Thats not what i'm sayin dude. Hes an average kid and plays games occasionally (not hardcore though) and hes never heard of it. From that i assume that its not very popular, and if there are more sold in the uk than in korea, i would be correct in that assumption (ask the average kid in the uk about a gp and you'll get the same reaction from him that i got from my friend ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the commonly held beleife was that the GP only did modest numbers in korea... sorta like a game gear would have done here in comparison to a GBA.

From what i've seen Koreans are rabid game consumers. though it seems to be games of the online variety for the most part. If it requires an internet connection and allows you to play with or against other people they;ll play it. I wonder if it's genetic because I know a Korean who lover her some Ragnarok online. :D

Maybe Koreans are such avid gamers they can't be bothered with all of the tech stuff that the GP32 involves.
If there was a major Korean GP32 community that had accomplished stuff we would have heard from them.
The homebrew thing probally doesn't exist in Korea either, over here in Blighty we have a large homebrew scene left over from the spectrum and amiga and co in the 80s.

Azure posted on May 4 2004 at 10:45 PM said:
kknd_cf posted on May 4 2004 at 01:01 PM said:
Also what I'm curious is what's the homebrewn scene like over there.
I've actually thought about this several times ane thought that, what if, there's like korean versions of websites like GP32X and GP32EMU, what if they also have coders working on emulators, what if they already achieved full speed with sound SNES + GENESIS and are working on GBA or something else?
lol makes you kinda paranoid if you're missing summit. Me and my mate were talking irl and were laughing at the fact that maybe people in korea are only playing the gp32 offical games. They'd be unlocking like a millionth of its potential! :p :D

Azure posted on May 4 2004 at 10:45 PM said:
kknd_cf posted on May 4 2004 at 01:01 PM said:
Also what I'm curious is what's the homebrewn scene like over there.
I've actually thought about this several times ane thought that, what if, there's like korean versions of websites like GP32X and GP32EMU, what if they also have coders working on emulators, what if they already achieved full speed with sound SNES + GENESIS and are working on GBA or something else?
Freaky...
Or what if there is a Korean "Bizzaro" Azure out there somewhere :ph34r:
;)

greenmikey posted on May 4 2004 at 11:37 PM said:
I remember atleast 2-3 have died while playing diablo 2. I used to play it OBSESSIVLY..its not meant to be that interesting. but somehow it sucks you in. Its not even that deep of a game.
I loved Diablo 2. Came close myself to dying a few times due to that game - my misses was somewhat put out that the game was receiving waaay more attention than her which endangered my health!

Enslaved posted on May 5 2004 at 01:36 AM said:
If there is full speed emulation on the Korean GP's then I think that we would know! I mean if "Let's Break them all" was good news then that would have already been heard of.
Let's Break them All hasn't been released yet and Team K²YAA's website has been down for several days/weeks now :(

I am writing this reply from Seoul, visiting on business from the UK.

I have visited the 2 largest tech markets in Seoul and have not seen a single piece of GP32 hardware and only a few shops and stalls selling boxed GP32 games - In fact I have seen more Wonderswan Color hardware, otherwise its just row on row of GBAs.

This seems to support the commonly held view that GP32 did not sell well in Korea.

Back