Dark Engine Port?

TylerAW said:
I came across this and I was wondering could this provide hope for running the Thief games on Pandora? Open Dark Engine

I do relly hope. it should be portable, but the major problem is that the project evolve slowly and I'm afraid the project might takes years or even dies before the games get playable...

Dark engine will provide years of thief gaming with all the hundreads FMs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good. I love the OpenBOR engine/games, this could add to that list. This engine could make another great set of games available!

Hopefully someone can get everything fixed up and create an easy way to build up some games.

I'm sure that if it can be ported, it will be. Eventually.
For now we should all just enjoy the software that is available.

Interesting find - it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

P.S.: You need to chill a bit - you've made as many topics in the past 3 weeks as I've made in the past 3 years.

If this happens it will be a major reason for me to buy a Pandora. Thief is the best games series ever. But there´s a problem, to play correctly to these games you need a crt screen or maybe an oled screen, perfect black is needed, shadows are everything when you are thievering. Lcd is awful for Thief, i know it because i tried it.

Sorry for my poor english.

Given OPDE's development speed, though, I expect the Pandora 4 to be out before the first Dark Engine game is fully implemented.

Sad thing, that; the Dark Engine is notoriously hard to get working on modern machines and I'd like to play through System Shock 2 again.

j6cubic said:
Given OPDE's development speed, though, I expect the Pandora 4 to be out before the first Dark Engine game is fully implemented.

Sad thing, that; the Dark Engine is notoriously hard to get working on modern machines and I'd like to play through System Shock 2 again.

with a bit of luck doom3 will be released when pandora2 will be ready and we'll be able to play with theDarkMod

Vorporeal said:
Interesting find - it'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

P.S.: You need to chill a bit - you've made as many topics in the past 3 weeks as I've made in the past 3 years.
I'm aware but until recently I was not going to buy a Pandora, so now I want to be part of the scene :)

Elwing said:
j6cubic said:

with a bit of luck doom3 will be released when pandora2 will be ready and we'll be able to play with theDarkMod
ID does not seem to care about releasing source for Doom 3 it would be nice though if they did I mean they are already working on RAGE and id Tech 5 engine.

raindog said:
If this happens it will be a major reason for me to buy a Pandora. Thief is the best games series ever. But there´s a problem, to play correctly to these games you need a crt screen or maybe an oled screen, perfect black is needed, shadows are everything when you are thievering. Lcd is awful for Thief, i know it because i tried it.

Sorry for my poor english.
You know I have never had a problem with LED screens on "Dark" games like Doom 3. Maybe older LCD screens were crap at doing black so they got a bad rep?

TylerAW posted on QuakeCon said:
I mean I won’t commit to a date, but the Doom 3 stuff will be open source. We still make those decisions even today when we’re doing the Rage code when we have decisions about “do we want to integrate some other vendor’s solution, some proprietary code into this”. And the answer’s usually no, because eventually id Tech 5 is going to be opensource also
So yeah, it will happen. ID Tech4 will be released as open source shortly after ID Tech 5 is done.

WizardStan posted on QuakeCon said:
I mean I won’t commit to a date, but the Doom 3 stuff will be open source. We still make those decisions even today when we’re doing the Rage code when we have decisions about “do we want to integrate some other vendor’s solution, some proprietary code into this”. And the answer’s usually no, because eventually id Tech 5 is going to be opensource also
So yeah, it will happen. ID Tech4 will be released as open source shortly after ID Tech 5 is done.
[/quote]
Can Pandora even handle Doom 3 running @ lowest settings?

TylerAW said:
Can Pandora even handle Doom 3 running @ lowest settings?
In theory, maybe. We won't know until we try. :)

Elwing said:
j6cubic said:

Good God, you're expecting a bit much there :)

My son can run it smoothly on his 2.8ghz Dual Core with Geforce 9, but not at highest detail. My ATI x1250 + Dual Core 1.6ghz intel struggles to run it at minimum detail. There's no way that DarkMod will ever run on the Pandora, in my opinion. Doom3, maybe, at a very low frame rate but not DarkMod.

D.

Well, I think that it may be possible.
I don't know if it's relevant to the platform (please don't kill me devs!), but it seems to me that the resolution a game is rendered at has an absolutely massive effect on the performance of games. Perhaps the Pandora has a better shot than you might think.

Dunny said:
Elwing said:
j6cubic said:

Good God, you're expecting a bit much there :)

My son can run it smoothly on his 2.8ghz Dual Core with Geforce 9, but not at highest detail. My ATI x1250 + Dual Core 1.6ghz intel struggles to run it at minimum detail. There's no way that DarkMod will ever run on the Pandora, in my opinion. Doom3, maybe, at a very low frame rate but not DarkMod.

D.

hum "pandora2"...
please note that I'm joking with that... I don't see a pandora2 until quite a few years ( and I hope we won't get one until a few more years...)

by the way, thedarkmod is just Wonderfull...

Back