Damn It! Another Wiz With Defective Screen :@

andrewe1

Still Fresh
Well looks like my 2 day old wiz is defective. I got it from thinkgeek.com

Today I turned it on and started playing some SEGA games and noticed that on the white SEGA splash screen there was some sort of static, vertical lines going all accross the screen...

I turned it off and went into test mode and sure enough, the flicker is there, its on all colors but most noticeable on white... Yesterday I did the test and this did not happen :(

I already tried charging it all the way up and leaving it plugged into the usb charger and no luck.

Heres a pic but you can barely see it...its those light vertical lines all accross the screen, really annoying.

Should I start and RMA or something? :(

PS: It already came loaded with firmware 1.1.0

on my wiz the same. But they are not static. They are moving and i think that have something to do with the tearing or/and frequency of the display.

momosxp said:
on my wiz the same. But they are not static. They are moving and i think that have something to do with the tearing or/and frequency of the display.

mine moves too... Its not static. Did you find a way to fix it? Where did you buy your wiz from?

Btw... How do i refresh the firmware??

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
i got it from ED - gp2x.de

At this point, everyone should have this problem and there is no way to fix it at this point.
I think GPH will have to fix it in futur firmware versions

momosxp said:
i got it from ED - gp2x.de

At this point, everyone should have this problem and there is no way to fix it at this point.
I think GPH will have to fix it in futur firmware versions

I don't think this is a firmware problem, no one else has reported it yet, looks like a hardware defect.

Im still trying to figure out how to refresh the firmware tho

You should stop smacking it with your hammer paws, and maybe this won't happen!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSR

dsraa said:
You should stop smacking it with your hammer paws, and maybe this won't happen!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSR

Ohhh thats funny...........

No its not..... I was on my second day and i was treating it like a baby so far :-||...

Im reinstalling the firmware at the momment but ive already ordered another from thinkgeek, I can't be mario world less for too long, im gonna go crazy...

Hope it doesnt fix it, they already charged my credit card :p

I reflashed and the lines are less noticeable but still there.... Im still gonna return it since it worked great when I first got it...

momosxp said:
if it's that bad that you can't play mario, i dont think we talk about the same lines...

No lol, Its hardly noticeable in games that do not use white. I meant that I love to play SNES games on the go and I don't want to wait for thinkgeek to receive the package and then send me a new one.

The lines are not normal, nobody else has commented or reported them on being normal so I would suggest you return yours too. I mean its one thing that it doesn't bother you but i was on my second day
of use, I worry that in one month the problem is going go be worse.

I don't think you should try to return your Wiz. This is a Wiz 'feature' and if you send it back you'll just get another one that does the same thing. There are a couple of discussions in the Wiz section about this so it must not be coming up in the search.

If it is fixable, it will be in software. It will take a register setting genius like Notaz to come up with the right values so you may have to patiently wait on that one unless he already tried and had no luck. ;)

MWeston said:
I don't think you should try to return your Wiz. This is a Wiz 'feature' and if you send it back you'll just get another one that does the same thing. There are a couple of discussions in the Wiz section about this so it must not be coming up in the search.

If it is fixable, it will be in software. It will take a register setting genius like Notaz to come up with the right values so you may have to patiently wait on that one unless he already tried and had no luck. ;)

Well I know about the screen tearing issue, that I can stand...this is a whole different issue and I've not seen threads about it yet. :S Like I said, I didn't do it, it just started.

I wasn't referring to the screen tearing issue either. This is a visual noise that looks like rain randomly pouring down the screen (for lack of a better explanation). You can see it in the test menu with the red, green and blue screens as well but it makes the screen pulsate rather than the vertical line noise. Some other people said theirs did this too when I asked if I had a bad unit in another topic.

MWeston said:
I wasn't referring to the screen tearing issue either. This is a visual noise that looks like rain randomly pouring down the screen (for lack of a better explanation). You can see it in the test menu with the red, green and blue screens as well but it makes the screen pulsate rather than the vertical line noise. Some other people said theirs did this too when I asked if I had a bad unit in another topic.

Well, Crap.

They already charged me for another wiz........oh well, gonna see if my brother buys it from me, else ill return the new one.

Thanks though...

Ye, also had it raining once, but the next day it was gone. Initially it also didn't do that.

Hm. Checked it just now and it rains again.

The effect pretty much looks like this:
wizrain.gif

Edit2:
With different brightness levels:
low - no rain
less medium - very little rain
medium - noticeable rain
high - strong rain

aho said:
Ye, also had it raining once, but the next day it was gone. Initially it also didn't do that.

Hm. Checked it just now and it rains again.

The effect pretty much looks like this:
wizrain.gif

Yeah you nailed it......Oh well.....

fuck, wished I knew about this earlier today.

Well, it only seems to occur if the whole screen is completely white. I.e. if there is a bigger white rectangle it won't rain inside of it.

It's sorta odd though.

aho said:
Well, it only seems to occur if the whole screen is completely white. I.e. if there is a bigger white rectangle it won't rain inside of it.

It's sorta odd though.

Yeah...weird.

Back