Wiz Screen Display Quality - What Is 'normal'?

Tonka

Still Fresh
Hi all,

Got my Wiz yesterday and already loving it to death! :)

Just have 1 concern about the screen though. Whenever a white (or very light) background is being displayed, there are quite noticable vertical shadow lines which 'roll' down the screen, almost like interference when you stick a CRT monitor between 2 speakers. They seem to vary in speed and size (from approx 2-5mm width) depending on what emu is running and (I think) the stress being applied on the processor. Most of the time they are not noticable and I personally don't think it's a prob, but if someone could confirm that this is the norm, then I can realx a bit more. :)

Also seems more noticable when overclocked (eg Vice @ 800mhz). Could it be the battery struggling to supply enough power due to O/Cing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Its normal with OLED displays .. also I have found that these tend to go away after a few full-charges and re-appear when the battery level appears to be pretty low .. ymmv, but anyway I wouldn't worry about it and just get on with enjoying your Wiz .. tis a lovely little machine, I do love mine!

Doesn't sound too normal to me; my Wiz has never done this. The rate of failure with OLED screens is high, so you might well have a dodgy screen.

I have that, I noticed it changes according to the environment temperature and also disappears with time after turning it on. The amount of lines also depends on the amount of white on the screen. I had 2 wiz'es and both had the same issue (i broke the screen on one of them accidently so bought a new one)

Thanks for all your input guys. Sounding like it's 'fairly' normal so far then...

I think I'm going to going to take torpor's advice and just get on with enjoying it for the time being! If it get's any worse or more frequent, I'll worry about it then. Unit has only had 1 full charge so far too, so it may well go away as has been suggested. :)

Thanks again.

*Edit*

Just read this at Wikipedia:

"While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images, it will consume 60-80% of the power of an LCD - however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background[52] such as a document or website. This can lead to disappointing real-world battery life in mobile device".

Ties in a little bit with my (half-assed) theory of it putting a strain on the battery, but not (just) because of overclocking - because it appears to require more power to display white backgrounds. Interesting... (?)

Anyway, moving on now... :D

I too have this, but it is hardly noticeable that often. I have to be looking for it to notice it.

Snowblindfrog said:
I too have this, but it is hardly noticeable that often. I have to be looking for it to notice it.

Thanks for chipping in - yes, I now reckon it's the norm. :)

A really good test (for anyone who hasn't noticed it yet) is running Picodrive emulator and running 'Sonic the Hedgehog'. On the infamous 'Sega!' startup screen (all white apart from the Sega logo), it's very noticable. Then of course the game starts and it's back to that gorgeous clear display as usual.

Lovely! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back