D1X Rebirth Not Working

Animan

Still Fresh
Is there anything wrong I am doing?

I patched the files descent.pig and descent.hog from 1.0 to 1.4a, downloaded the latest version of SDL, and put these into the game's folder. Yet, it still sends me back to the menu.

Is there an extra step I am missing? I spent a good 3 hours yesterday trying everything to get it working, with no success.

Animan said:
I patched the files descent.pig and descent.hog from 1.0 to 1.4a, downloaded the latest version of SDL, and put these into the game's folder. Yet, it still sends me back to the menu.

Are you sure that they you must patch them ?
Tried the original unpatched ones ?
Also (does not make much sense cause of FAT Filesystem) try renaming the files descent.[pig|hog]to all upper or lower case chareacters.

Last thing, make a debug.gpe file wher you would do:
#!/bin/sh
d1x-rebirth.gpe >& output.txt
sync

This will write some information to output.txt which you can examine after a fail attempt and find out (probably) what going wrong.
Good luck
paines

Last edited by a moderator:
Anes Lihovac said:
Animan said:

Are you sure that they you must patch them ?
Tried the original unpatched ones ?
Also (does not make much sense cause of FAT Filesystem) try renaming the files descent.[pig|hog]to all upper or lower case chareacters.

Last thing, make a debug.gpe file wher you would do:
#!/bin/sh
d1x-rebirth.gpe >& output.txt
sync

This will write some information to output.txt which you can examine after a fail attempt and find out (probably) what going wrong.
Good luck
paines

I did what you instructed (using Notepad++), and it just froze to a black screen.

I also, tried renaming the files to uppcase and lowercase, and used the originals, still not working.

The CRC of my
descent.hog is 3b0b1041
descent.pig is 0ab80428

The game runs great. You can check the CRC by using Febooti Hash & CRC
You might have corrupted files, or something else wrong.

Mr.TwisT said:
The CRC of my
descent.hog is 3b0b1041
descent.pig is 0ab80428

The game runs great. You can check the CRC by using Febooti Hash & CRC
You might have corrupted files, or something else wrong.

Virus protection went nuts over the site. Downloaded it, and it still went nuts. Tried installing it, and it froze near the end. Any other software I can use? Right now I am a little busy, so I don't have time to search around for other software.

Animan, could you post your dosbox config file for rebirth? I have tried running it with the default settings that dosbox gives but it still wouldn't work for me. I tried modifying it several different ways, but still no dice. Maybe if I copy yours I can get mine to work. Thanks!

Back